Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
My Christian scruples (and socio-political ones as well) prevent me from having anything to do with the organization.

S

Samsa

RBH said:
We have several Catholic masons in our lodge here. Several years back the Priest even closed with a prayer at one of our Catholic members Masonic graveside service.

The Church is a strange place these days... you can find a priest who will say or do just about anything, no matter how much at odds it is with Church teaching.[huh] That's probably why some of us Catholics are perpetually confused.:D

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
..........on anything moveable or imovable under the whole canopy of heaven....

Just glad to be done with fussing over food every 1st and 3rd Wendsday:)

And I must be going, I'll stay a week or two, I'll stay the summer through, but I am telling you, I must be going!

Off to my Mardi Gras Krewe meeting, I am the only non-Catholic in the Krewe! Intemperence and Excess are positively encouraged at the Krewe meetings.

undertaker

Practically Family
I.O.O.F.

I was invited to join the Independent Order Of The Oddfellows. When I asked if I quilified he told me : Absolutely, You are as Odd a Fellow as I have ever met....lol lol lol I have yet to pursue entry. My grandfather was a member of the Woodmen of the World. I have a great picture of him in his uniform holding a wooden axe he carved.

Regards,
J.S.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
I am the third generation Mason in my family. Farmington Lodge #132 am & fm...I was a Past Master about two years ago and received the Truman Honor Lodge Award. ( which is the highest award in Missouri for the Lodge)

Plesae check this link out in detail. Read who is Famous Mason...(like John Wayne)Founding Fathers, Presidents, Musicians, Entrepenuers, Astronauts , Authors, Military and Political Leaders, Actors and Directors, Explorers and Frontiersman.....I am not here to convert anyone, but this is good reading for those who just want to browse for a bit. Look under the "about Masonry" tab.

Being a Mason has strengthened my faith and my love for my fellow man no matter what creed or religion.

http://www.momason.org/beamason.asp

I only have time for the Masonic Lodge, but I am in the Scottish Rite, and York Rite.

Masonry is the oldest Fraternity known to man, it is not a civic club or anything like that.

One of the benefits as a Missouri Mason is that I and my family have permanent coverage if I or my wife needs anything in case of disablitly or death. My children will be taken care of by the Lodge for thier personal, medical and educational needs if something happens to me. We have two facilities that allows us to move into if we want to retire thier or they will sned the proper care to my house for assistance...

I am alos a member of the Elks, but I never visit anymore, I spend too much time in the FL....lol lol lol

There are many great organizations and like it was said, you will get out of it just what you put into it.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a rogue lone wolf and not a joiner at all. The only thing I'm affiliated with that is predominately men is the classic car scene. Even there I own a Packard in a sea of Chevies and Fords.lol

BigDawgBarkin

New in Town
Samsa said:
The Church is a strange place these days... you can find a priest who will say or do just about anything, no matter how much at odds it is with Church teaching.[huh] That's probably why some of us Catholics are perpetually confused.:D

I couldn't have said it better myself! Hopefully this trend is reversing.

As far as I know the rule still applies that Catholics are not supposed to pursue Freemasonry. As a Catholic convert I was a little disappointed to learn this since my grandfather was a Mason and I was intrigued enough to consider joining. Now I'm thinking about joining the Knights of Columbus.

Wayne

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Wayne,

It depends on the Jurisdiction of the Lodge you would be petitioning. Example: In Alabama a Lodge would prolly not vote to allow to to recieve the degree's with you being a Catholic. However in GA, that would not be a sticking point at least as far as the Lodge is concerned. SC? I have no idea what that jurisdiction would do.

GA would not like it if you were involved in the liquor business whereas in AL, that is of no concern for a Lodge as far as I recall.

Religion is "Off Topic" in Lodge as is politics. Now your parrish priest might not take to kindly to your petitioning a Lodge, regardless of where it is, but that is another matter, and not being Catholic myself, I can't speak on that.

My Lodge in GA is about 80% Jewish. Shalom Ya'll!!
While my Alabama Lodge is mostly Baptist. Some Baptist Preachers rail against the Lodge for some reason.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
I understand how some Christian groups feel about the Masons. I am a Christian and a Mason. I have no conflict while being both. I have no salvation waiting for me in the Masonic Lodge. It provides me a brotherhood that is wonderful. I love being a Baptist, too.

There is no reason to debate why or why not here in this forum, because the thread was about WHO belongs to a lodge or fraternity.

Did you all check out my link to the Grand Lodge site and read about the famous Masons in our lives ???

Just wondering what you think of that list....interesting huh ???

mark the shoeshine boy

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shoeshineboy said:
Did you all check out my link to the Grand Lodge site and read about the famous Masons in our lives ???

Just wondering what you think of that list....interesting huh ???

mark the shoeshine boy

None Dare Call It Conspiracy... :D

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
KORB

I am a proud founding member of KORB. It is a brother hood of Historical Reenactors. It has two organizations, the KORB and RORB. KORB is for officers and RORB is for enlisted. We have initations and membership cards. I am very proud to say that I belong to the Knight's Order of the Rat Bastards. One day I hope to be Head Rat. We have a few more privileges than the Royal Order of Rat Bastards, but we all are still a bunch of rat bastards.lol

Gray Ghost

BigDawgBarkin

New in Town
OldSkoolFrat said:
Wayne,

It depends on the Jurisdiction of the Lodge you would be petitioning. Example: In Alabama a Lodge would prolly not vote to allow to to recieve the degree's with you being a Catholic. However in GA, that would not be a sticking point at least as far as the Lodge is concerned. SC? I have no idea what that jurisdiction would do.

GA would not like it if you were involved in the liquor business whereas in AL, that is of no concern for a Lodge as far as I recall.

Religion is "Off Topic" in Lodge as is politics. Now your parrish priest might not take to kindly to your petitioning a Lodge, regardless of where it is, but that is another matter, and not being Catholic myself, I can't speak on that.

My Lodge in GA is about 80% Jewish. Shalom Ya'll!!
While my Alabama Lodge is mostly Baptist. Some Baptist Preachers rail against the Lodge for some reason.

Thanks oldskool! I was talking about the Catholic church's stance on Freemasonry (unless it's changed since I last researched it, the Church is still opposed). I didn't know that there may some opposition coming from the Masonic end depending on the particular lodge.

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I just recently petioned to become a Free Mason and am waiting to see if I'm accepted or not. It's true that most members nowadays tend to be in their "later years". Most of this is due to a decline in new membership over the past twenty years or so.

I've been to the lodge only a few times, but have met some interesting characters and heard some amazing life stories. I personally can't wait to hear more of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner