Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

Foofoogal

Banned
Excuse me. Why in the world would it be uncalled for when on page 2 there is a link in how to become one?
The links I put anyone can find on Google and is common knowledge.
I guess it is the librarian in me to show both sides of a coin. [huh]

K

killertomata

Huh. My boyfriend is a Mason, going back in his family for generations. He's Pagan (we both are, basically Celtic Reconstruction and my NDN roots as well)- which most people don't understand and this is not the place to explain how one can be Pagan and a Mason- but his family is all Christian. Most Masons I've met are very Christian, as the Masonic way of doing things is very related to Christianity for the most part, yet in a very open way that allows people pf all faiths to take part really. My bf's father has the most beautiful Masonic (in design) Christian bible in fact.

The symbols often seen as Pagan are actually geometric. That is what the G you'll often see stands for. Geometry.

And there is a woman's organization related to the Masons called the Order of the Eastern Star.

Both groups do a lot of charity work and have helped thousands of people over the years. Neither is really all that secret. I've been to events of theirs- not their official meetings, as I'm not a member- and everyone was incredibly nice and open minded. And older. Most of them are in their 50s and 60s, it seemed.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
odd mix, I guess I will have to break the mold as I tend to do most places......

i belong to Cult of the Eye and a organization call R&A which is a men's drinking and networking club most of our members average between 45-80+ but we have been recruiting younger members recently to help keep the group alive.......but keep all that quiet hehehehe

hargist

One of the Regulars
May I ask for a quick clarification?

From reading these posts, it is emphasized that Masons do not discriminate based on religious belief. Is it an absolute requirement that one must believe in a higher power in order to join? Because I've heard that Masons do a lot of good work for the community and charity, and there are a lot of secular humanists out there that would be interested in joining a group like that.

It seems to me that it would be a shame to exclude people who are interested in furthering the cause of humanity simply because they don't necessarily believe in a supreme being.

Perhaps I just don't know enough about the history. Were the Masons founded primarily as a religious organization, or a community/humanity oriented one?

Foofoogal

Banned
You will have to do a search as the links I posted were removed. I am very familiar with masons as my grandfather was a 33rd. degree.
IMHO it is very pagan operating as Christian.
Knowledge is power and involves open minds.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
alphonse capone said:
Koop, I'm a Freemason & a 32nd Degree S.R. Been a Brother for years. 3 time Past master.
AL

maybe i'm horribly wrong but i have worked with many freemasons and they never discuss it at all and it is never divulged to anyone .

they even wear rings that have swivel faces with normal sides and i've only ever found out throug them forgetting to swivel it back .

HOWEVER on here you masons on the american sides seem open about the whole thing , is this a cultural difference ?.

personally i've always had the feeling towards it(a personal opinion ) of nepotism and "jobs for the boys" which is a regime i dislike in any form of life

Micawber

A-List Customer
dundeedavie said:
maybe i'm horribly wrong but i have worked with many freemasons and they never discuss it at all and it is never divulged to anyone .

they even wear rings that have swivel faces with normal sides and i've only ever found out throug them forgetting to swivel it back .

HOWEVER on here you masons on the american sides seem open about the whole thing , is this a cultural difference ?.

personally i've always had the feeling towards it(a personal opinion ) of nepotism and "jobs for the boys" which is a regime i dislike in any form of life

I am not American, I'm British born and bred and don't hold back from discussing it in person with anyone who shows a genuine interest that I am a Freemason. I wear a gold masonic ring and often a small lapel pin too as do a very large number of Freemasons over here.

If you are interested you may well find that your local lodges hold open days where anyone with an interest can wander in, take a look around and chat to members.

Jobs for the boys? Speaking as a Freemason rather than an outside observer I have never encountered it.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
Micawber said:
I am not American, I'm British born and bred and don't hold back from discussing it in person with anyone who shows a genuine interest that I am a Freemason. I wear a gold masonic ring and often a small lapel pin too as do a very large number of Freemasons over here.

If you are interested you may well find that your local lodges hold open days where anyone with an interest can wander in, take a look around and chat to members.

Jobs for the boys? Speaking as a Freemason rather than an outside observer I have never encountered it.

i wasn't meaning to accuse anyone , it is just a feeling i get thats all ...people tell of stories that if 2 people apply fr a job then the mason will be looked at more favourably then the non - mason and that this was widespread ..BUT i am not saying it still is

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
dundeedavie said:

Last year was Masonic Information Year in England. Many lodges held open days, there were a number of 'official' publications from United Grand Lodge explaining 'how things work' in Masonry and individual Masons were encouraged to discuss their experiences with non-Masons, particularly the extensive charity work that is done by Masons.

There may, indeed, be people who get jobs or gain business because they know someone in their Lodge, but then there are people who get jobs or gain business because they know someone in their golf club, at the pub, in the football crowd etc., etc. In other words, Masonry reflects life.

By the same count, it is said that being a known Freemason can be a disadvantage when it comes to promotion in some organisations.

Alan

vonwotan

Practically Family
I have been a Freemason for nearly fifteen years now. I was raised in a lodge in New York and I have to say that my experience for the most part is that most masons are quite open about their membership and the charities we support. Among our friends, the only aspect of lodge we don't openly discuss are are meetings for business. Even at lodge meetings we have an open session where guests can join us after which we all sit down to dinner. There is however, a closed session for the business of the lodge not unlike the meetings held at our firm to discuss the business of our department or, of the firm. The only real difference is some of the ritual that preceeds our meeting for business.

Bartenders - I hope this is general enough but, feel free to delete if it mentions religion and politics too often.

Another interesting thing about attending meetings in the Grand Lodge of New York on 23rd St is that meeting are held in many languages and, based on the history and membership of a given lodge, you may find a Bible, a Torah or a Koran used in those meetings. There is no religious requirement beyond a belief in a higher power. The other thing that folks overlook in the discussion of Masonry is that the discussion of religion and politics is actually not permitted during our meetings. Masonry encourages each man to be true to his own beliefs and espouses no particular religion or party.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Are there any Knights of Pythias here? I was going thru some old family papers recently and I found my great-grandfather's 1911 commission as Supreme Captain in the K of P -- it used to be very active around here, but they've long since dissolved the local lodge. But both he and my grandfather were very active members.

A. G. Geiger

New in Town
Just got back from the joint session. The Grand Master of South Carolina took my picture. His hands were a little shakey, thus the lack of focus.
AGGeigeratHO.T.jpg

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
According to my dad female Masons aren't accepted. They may say they are Masons but they are not recognized by Masons in good standing.

A lady can join The Order of the Eastern Star if her husband or father is a Mason. And young girls can join Jobs Daughters or Rainbow Girls if their father is a Mason.

My dad is a Mason as well as my brother,my grandfather, his father, his fathers father, my uncle, my cousin. York Rite. Most of the women in my family are Eastern Star.

My grandfathers were also Shriners. My fathers dad was part of an investigative team that went around Tennessee to help children that needed their feet and legs or burns fixed at the Shriners hospital. If a child had clubbed feet or something like that they would try to help their families get care.
My great uncle Blachard was a Knight of Pythias.

All of the men and women that have died in my family always have Masonic services and they are really a nice touch. And I always get a little emotion when I hold my grnadmothers Eastern Star ring or my great-grandfathers Masonic pocket watch. My daddy's hands just don't look right without his Masonic ring.

Also without getting into an argument about what's what. I don't really feel that Masonic traditions (for lack of better word) are Christian. To me they are more Deistic. But then again We are a family of Deists. I can give examples if anyone is interested.
And all of them men in my family that are Masons have often said about the rumors and speculations, that they have never done anything with the Masons or as a MAson that they would be ashamed of.

As far as my organizations I've been a Faternal Order of Eagles auxillary for 14years. My husband is about to join. His family was big in the Eagles back in the 70's and 80's. His grandpa was a past president and is in the Eagles hall of fame. People Helping People!!

K

kpreed

I will discuss my club and no it is not the Freemasons. It is "The Sons Of The Desert". No local chapter near here, but I support the club anyway. Not many places I can go in a wheelchair anyhoo. A pair of our past members you may know. I will post the link if I see any interest in joining.
boyssons.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points