Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
skbellis said:
Gentlemen,

Last night I was finally raised to the 3rd degree. Glad to be a Master Mason. Took me a little while to get through my degrees due to my life being hectic for a little while.

Has anyone ever done a thread on vintage masonic rings?

Cheers,

Scott
Congratulations. I hope you find to be everything you expect.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Parents were Elks, Moose and Arctic Club. I just looked up the Arctic Club and the Building is now a new hotel.

They have pictures of the original 1908 members, but alas no info on what happened to the club itself. Sigh.

K

kpreed

Two Gun Bob said:
Actually The Sons of the Desert aforementioned is an international Laurel & Hardy fan club based on the organisation (similar to the Shriners) seen in the 1933 L&H movie of the same name ;)

I've often been tempted to join but have no local branch, maybe I will set one up someday :D

Maybe we should set up a Fedora Lounge SOTD 'tent' as the groups are called...:cheers1:

See: home.earthlink.net/~sons_secretary/
Grand Idea! If it happens, I would be a member.:eusa_clap

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
There is a mason lodge at my old school. Funnily enough, all the governers are masons, and we received kind visits from the Duke of York, Duke of Edinburgh, both masons. I'm sure it was entirely coincidental though

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Traveling East

I am a Freemason (at least 4th generation). My two oldest boys are DeMolay, my oldest girl is a Job's Daughter and my wife is petitioning our local Eastern Star chapter.
Fraternal organizations saw a decline in the late 50's onward partially due to the fact that it was increasingly easier to entertain the family right in the home. This trend has lasted the better part of 40 years. Yes, my lodge is "full of old people", but there is a good handful of twentysomethings and a few of us on the ragged edge of our thirties. I think people are growing tired of being isolated in the midst of the all the comotion. Families are going their separate ways and these organizations provide a chance to come together a few times a month to share some meaningful experiences. If we expose our children to clubs while they're young they may catch a desire to be involvd in their communities throughout their lives.
I'm not advocating any one genre of organization. We happen to be a Masonic family (and also Mormon-don't hear much of that, do you?). there are many civic and fraternal groups waiting for good people to get involved. I hope we can become a service oriented people again.

seres

A-List Customer
skbellis said:
Gentlemen,

Last night I was finally raised to the 3rd degree. Glad to be a Master Mason. Took me a little while to get through my degrees due to my life being hectic for a little while.

Has anyone ever done a thread on vintage masonic rings?

Cheers,

Scott
Congratulations, skbellis! Joining the Lodge is my proudest achievement.

I’m a fourth generation traveling man—Blue Lodge, Scottish Rite, York Rite and the Shrine. I joined when I was in my late 30's and while I was one of the youngest, I certainly was not the youngest. I’ve met so many wonderful men and women by my association in the Lodge, and I can think of no better organization.

I’ve been collecting vintage Masonic rings—primarily late 19th and very early 20th century—since I first joined the Lodge over 15 years ago. Modern rings just don't have the class of those early rings!

As someone else mentioned in a post from last year, I’m very glad to find so many brothers here!

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Girl Friday said:
My boyfriend is an Eagle. We are going to Steak Night tonight! The proceeds generally go to the Jimmy Durante Children's Fund.

Good Grief, I think my parents were Eagles too.

At any rate, I had a beau that was an Eagle and have been to Aerie #1.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
seres said:
Congratulations, skbellis! Joining the Lodge is my proudest achievement.

I’m a fourth generation traveling man—Blue Lodge, Scottish Rite, York Rite and the Shrine. I joined when I was in my late 30's and while I was one of the youngest, I certainly was not the youngest. I’ve met so many wonderful men and women by my association in the Lodge, and I can think of no better organization.

I’ve been collecting vintage Masonic rings—primarily late 19th and very early 20th century—since I first joined the Lodge over 15 years ago. Modern rings just don't have the class of those early rings!

As someone else mentioned in a post from last year, I’m very glad to find so many brothers here!

I'd be interested to see some of your collection - if you're willing to share.

My Dad was given Grandpa's Masonic ring when Grandpa passed. It's a beautiful gold setting with a reddish-brown stone that has the golden symbols set in the stone. Dad later went on to join the local lodge (Myrtle Lodge, #108), and has even served as Worshipful Master. The ring has become one of his prized possessions.

True story about Grandpa's ring.

Once Dad's car was broken into. The thieves stole his cell phone (an old phone-in-a-bag kind), and a sort of fanny pack that had Dad's "little black book" of addresses, a travel size Tylenol and other miscellaneous items..... including Grandpa's Masonic ring. Dad was devastated that the ring was gone. He was mad that the car had been broken into, inconvenienced that the addresses were gone..... but the ring. Priceless. He filed a police report, but nothing could be done to get the ring back. A few days later, Dad was vacuuming out the car, and when he started to clean under the seat, what do you think he found? Grandpa's ring. The thief had evidently knocked it out of the pack when they were digging through things. Amazing!! And now Dad's rarely without the ring where it perfectly fits on his right ring finger. And it's certainly never left in the car!

Stratoholic

New in Town
This is my first post to The Fedora Lounge (just became a member yesterday) - so hopefully I'm using the tool correctly!

In any case, I thought I'd just throw my hat into the ring (no pun intended) and say that I am a Freemason as well. I belong to two Lodges here in Missouri and was just recently elected the Worshipful Master of one of them (hence my presence at the FL - I had to get my first Fedora ever for the upcoming year as WM and am quickly becoming addicted to the world of hats).

A trend I have noticed in my main Lodge has been that we are getting an ever-increasing number of younger members. In fact, in the last year we've probably gotten 7-8 new guys that are what I would consider "young" (late 20's - mid 30's).

Perhaps this is a beginning of a resurgence for fraternal organizations. I joined the Masons when I was 22 - so I know it has something to offer younger men.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
My boyfriend is an Eagle. We are going to Steak Night tonight! The proceeds generally go to the Jimmy Durante Children's Fund.
My husbands family are big time into the Eagles.
His grandpa is in The Hall Of Fame and was a past president in Ohio.
Steak Nights were always fun.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Old Thread but..

Came to the craft late in life, 31 when I was raised. My grandfather was a mason and like many men of my generation I was attracted to the craft after my grandfather passed. I found the masonic portion of his funeral to be beautiful and felt that it contained deep meaning, meaning which I wanted to explore more fully. As to masonry being old and worn out I will say Masonry will always be old but the great truths taught by our gentle craft will never wear out. My lodge Ann Arbor Fraternity #262, MI GL is very youthful all our officers are serving in their posts for the first time and all are under 40. (secretary and treasurer are both older than mud, as it should be!). I enjoy the fellowship and wisdom of our older members (even the crazy ones) and the comraderie of our younger members. It has taught me to be more tolerant, more faithful,to be a better man and better Christian than I would be without it.

It also gives me the chance to put on a Tux 2 nights a month.
Doc

Imahomer

Practically Family
DocMustang said:
Came to the craft late in life, 31 when I was raised. My grandfather was a mason and like many men of my generation I was attracted to the craft after my grandfather passed. I found the masonic portion of his funeral to be beautiful and felt that it contained deep meaning, meaning which I wanted to explore more fully. As to masonry being old and worn out I will say Masonry will always be old but the great truths taught by our gentle craft will never wear out.
It also gives me the chance to put on a Tux 2 nights a month.
Doc

Well put. Although I haven't been active in Lodge for a while, I'm a P. M. and former District Inspector (a Grand Lodge appointment). I'm hoping that my health continues to get better so I can join a lodge near my home. I miss it all.

Anyone who is considering it might want to research it for a taste of what is all about. However, it's joining that will really give you an appetite for what it's all about.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I was just installed as Senior Deacon in my Masonic Lodge and have become active in Scottish Rite Masonry within this last year as well, and I have to say , being involved in the Masonry continues to be a true pleasure.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Most Lodges tend to push officers along and let them skip chairs. Personally, I think that's a big mistake. You'll get a lot more out of it, if you sit in each chair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner