Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

K

kpreed

A. G. Geiger said:
The sons of the desert are a California shrine club with members mostly from Lebanon.
Maybe not the same club, but maybe a member is in Lebanon I do not know, but I do know I am not in California or a Mason . I am a member in the Utopia tent, a place for members with no local group.

CharlesB

Suspended
Probably going to join the freemasons this year. My family has 6 generations in the Scottish Rite going all the way back to Scotland before they came to the new world.

Weston

A-List Customer
Always thought I'd like to be an Elk, and it was my Grandmother's cherished dream I become a Mason. My church has rules against membership however, as some of the reasons have come up before – oaths, a view of improper advantage for a brother over another, any sort of secrecy etc.

Alas, perhaps these clubs will fade into history. :(

Mojito

One Too Many
Found out recently, to my suprise, that my maternal great-grandfather held a high position in a Freemason's lodge (Worshipful Master? not sure). Even more astonishing, my Aunt still has all his paraphanalia. I was surprised, as both sides of my family are Roman Catholic, and back in the teens and twenties a Roman Catholic Freemason would have been rather unusual, at least here in Oz. It lead to me finding out something new about my family - my Swedish great grandfather was a Protestant and a Freemason. It was after his death that my grandmother converted and married my grandfather in 1932. I don't want to push my aunt as she's in poor health, but if the opportunity does arise I'm going to try and document Oskar's Masonic regalia.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
killertomata said:
Huh. My boyfriend is a Mason, going back in his family for generations. He's Pagan (we both are, basically Celtic Reconstruction and my NDN roots as well)- which most people don't understand and this is not the place to explain how one can be Pagan and a Mason- but his family is all Christian. Most Masons I've met are very Christian, as the Masonic way of doing things is very related to Christianity for the most part, yet in a very open way that allows people pf all faiths to take part really. My bf's father has the most beautiful Masonic (in design) Christian bible in fact.

The symbols often seen as Pagan are actually geometric. That is what the G you'll often see stands for. Geometry.

And there is a woman's organization related to the Masons called the Order of the Eastern Star.

Both groups do a lot of charity work and have helped thousands of people over the years. Neither is really all that secret. I've been to events of theirs- not their official meetings, as I'm not a member- and everyone was incredibly nice and open minded. And older. Most of them are in their 50s and 60s, it seemed.

The Order of the Eastern Star had a lodge im my town but it died out and sold the building off to charitable beneficiaries..

In the Latin countries Masons tend to be part of the political Left IMO. I imagine it is because the Catholic Church is generally pro-Right. In the Anglo countries Masonry seems more to the Right as being more related to the Protestant Establishment. Catholics in Anglo countries tend to support the broad Left.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I've looked into a couple of the lodges around here and come to a sad conclusion. Every member is a senior citizen. That's all fine and dandy, of course. I've always enjoyed the company and graciousness of our senior brethren, but I'd rather not be the youngest member of a group by 20+ years. :eek:

Richard

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Proud to be a Freemason

I am proud to be a third generation Mason and a Scottish Rite Mason as well. Although most of the members of the Masonic Lodge to which I belong are older gentlemen, we have had a recent influx of men in their early twenties who wish to see Masonry continue and flourish. When I became a Scottish Rite Mason, 2/3 of those in my class were under the age of 30, so I believe that many younger men are being attracted to Freemasonry. Freemasonry-taking good men and making them better.

Irish4

Familiar Face
My two cents

I would just like to point out a few things from my own family masons iew.My mom's side of my family are all Free Masons and Eastern star.My mother and Grandmother,aunts all eastern star.My uncle was very high up in the masons.These people do great things,not only for our towns but also children in need.They are not a cult or into some kind of pegan type ideas.The masons,eastern star,20/30, shriners are people of integrity, good moral's ,God and country.Just ask a child who has been given artificial limbs or life saving surgery.Yes Catholics can be Masons.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Ask one to be one".

The Masons are a great fellowship. I've been a Mason for eight years and you do indeed get out of it what you put into it.
A number of Masons I've met over the years have been pastors so that ought to indicate that it is nothing sinister.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
"Ask one to be one".

The Masons are a great fellowship. I've been a Mason for eight years and you do indeed get out of it what you put into it.
A number of Masons I've met over the years have been pastors so that ought to indicate that it is nothing sinister.

Or, that it is more sinister than you can imagine. (cue eerie music) :D

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Irish4 said:
I would just like to point out a few things from my own family masons iew.My mom's side of my family are all Free Masons and Eastern star.My mother and Grandmother,aunts all eastern star.My uncle was very high up in the masons.These people do great things,not only for our towns but also children in need.They are not a cult or into some kind of pegan type ideas.The masons,eastern star,20/30, shriners are people of integrity, good moral's ,God and country.Just ask a child who has been given artificial limbs or life saving surgery.Yes Catholics can be Masons.

I am a Mason in California, SR, and a Catholic. Also I am under 50 there are quite a lot of young men joining my lodge. Ask One To Be One

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
One of my fellow lodge members just forwarded me an e-mail about the increased lodge memberships in CA. It gave a lot of credit to the Web and younger men wanting to re-connect with an organization their family had been affiliated with. Sounds great to me, we are seeing more and more younger folks doing the same here as well. "Ask one to be one".

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Actually The Sons of the Desert aforementioned is an international Laurel & Hardy fan club based on the organisation (similar to the Shriners) seen in the 1933 L&H movie of the same name ;)

I've often been tempted to join but have no local branch, maybe I will set one up someday :D

Maybe we should set up a Fedora Lounge SOTD 'tent' as the groups are called...:cheers1:

See: home.earthlink.net/~sons_secretary/

A. G. Geiger said:
The sons of the desert are a California shrine club with members mostly from Lebanon.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I’ve speculated that groups like the Masons are due for a comeback. I feel men are lonelier today.

The nuclear family today seems to almost demand that the father and mother abandon their friends for each other and their children. Thinking on my friends and myself; I don’t think of any of us really had a father that didn’t end up feeling horribly trapped well into their relationships. No friends at all. And wives that resented them trying to go out and have a good time while they were stuck with the kids…

Lodges seem to be a good way to go out and have that male bonding without the problems. It’s a commitment and a regular thing; you’re not just out the door because things are tough at home right then and you want to go for a drink.

I believe that had both my father and mother had good friendships and support outside of the family they would have been much better parents and partners.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Raised...

Gentlemen,

Last night I was finally raised to the 3rd degree. Glad to be a Master Mason. Took me a little while to get through my degrees due to my life being hectic for a little while.

Has anyone ever done a thread on vintage masonic rings?

Cheers,

Scott

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Scott, congrtaulations on your raising! I found being raised to be an amazing experience, and was so happy once I had completed all of the degree work. I am not aware of a Masonic Ring thread existing on the FL, but as I wear my Grandfathers Masonic ring everyday, I would be interested to see one begin if it does not already exist. I believe my ring is likely from the early50's, but as my Grandfather was a 50 year Mason, it could be older. He lived from 1892 until 1977, by the way...

RBH

Bartender
skbellis said:
Gentlemen,

Last night I was finally raised to the 3rd degree. Glad to be a Master Mason. Took me a little while to get through my degrees due to my life being hectic for a little while.

Has anyone ever done a thread on vintage masonic rings?

Cheers,

Scott
Well done Brother... well done! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm