Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Imahomer, I agree with you and see that happen as well. I was Junior Deacon last year, so I'm hoping to follow the progression as it should be done.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I think you'll find that you'll not only enjoy each station, but that you've "earned" the next. Also, when you finally get to sit in the east, you'll have the ability to help the junior officers with their ritual work and other little things.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
bowtieguyuk2000 said:
Speaking fronm a UK perspective, lodges aren'ty as "special" or influential as they may have been 20 or 30 years ago. I hadn't visited my old school for about 27 years but I decided to make a grand return! So I was invited to a Lodge barbecue (my old school had it's own lodge), so I approached with trepidation thinking "oooh, there will be there all these people who've really become something important in their field". But when I got there, I realised this was possibly nthe dullest bunch of old duffers I'd met in many a year and (not blowing my own trumpet here) that I was probably the most interesting person there, at least I still had a spark of life left in me!

I've always followed two maxims: Groucho Marx's "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member" and a more personalised one" I am my own club and I decide whom I want to have as members".

Works for me anyway.
Ray
Well said sir spot on:eusa_clap

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Irish4 said:
They are not a cult or into some kind of pegan type ideas.The masons,eastern star,20/30, shriners are people of integrity, good moral's ,God and country.Just ask a child who has been given artificial limbs or life saving surgery.Yes Catholics can be Masons.

One can be a "Pagan" and also a Mason. I am a Druid of OBOD, and the Junior Deacon of Lafayette-Dover Lodge in Massachusetts. One needs only to believe in a Supreme Being, which I do; and I have found that Druidry and Masonry are completely compatible, and share many similarities. This is because Masonry isn't a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion.

cookie said:
In the Latin countries Masons tend to be part of the political Left IMO. I imagine it is because the Catholic Church is generally pro-Right. In the Anglo countries Masonry seems more to the Right as being more related to the Protestant Establishment. Catholics in Anglo countries tend to support the broad Left.

I have no idea about the political views of my brothers, it is forbidden to talk about religion or politics in Lodge, as it should be. [bad]

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I share your experiences Brother, on both counts.

Blessed be and so mote it be. IAO.

Enjoy the Solstice. I'll be at Stonehenge.

Subvet642 said:
One can be a "Pagan" and also a Mason. I am a Druid of OBOD, and the Junior Deacon of Lafayette-Dover Lodge in Massachusetts. One needs only to believe in a Supreme Being, which I do; and I have found that Druidry and Masonry are completely compatible, and share many similarities. This is because Masonry isn't a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion.

I have no idea about the political views of my brothers, it is forbidden to talk about religion or politics in Lodge, as it should be. [bad]

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Question for the Masons among us...

I am currently an officer in my lodge, was wondering what you guys do for your white gloves. Our lodge provides about 100 years worth of leftover mismatched gloves. I have a few sets of nylon gloves but I wanted something a little more period style. Would white kid or lambskin be too much? Cost is not an issue but thinking in terms of not wanting to be "that guy".

Thanks
Doc

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I swear by French military parade gloves - white leather, but not a gauntlet like their British equivalents. They are very well made and can be washed.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars

Imahomer

Practically Family
Although the lambskin would probably be cool, I always went with what was provided by the Lodge, for the uniformity. Perhaps when you sit in the east, it might be a nice touch.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
DocMustang said:
I am currently an officer in my lodge, was wondering what you guys do for your white gloves. Our lodge provides about 100 years worth of leftover mismatched gloves. I have a few sets of nylon gloves but I wanted something a little more period style. Would white kid or lambskin be too much? Cost is not an issue but thinking in terms of not wanting to be "that guy".

Thanks
Doc

You might try www.freemasonstore.com or
http://www.jpluther.com

H.Johnson said:
I share your experiences Brother, on both counts.

Blessed be and so mote it be. IAO.

Enjoy the Solstice. I'll be at Stonehenge.

Beannacht leat! /|\ :cheers1:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple of my friends are newly Elk. As they were trying to talk me into it, they said" They will only ask you two questions: Do you believe in God? Are you a Communist?"

I have a hard time joining anything that would ask those kinds of questions, is it any of their business? Would it matter either way? I mean , is it really going to interfere with Elkdom?

And no, and no, are the answers... good thing I wasn't interested as I am unacceptable on the first count...

Imahomer

Practically Family
My dad, brother and a aunt are all members of the Elks. They joined pretty much for the club benifits.... ie: the gym, card playing and the socializing.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That seems to be why everyone joins!

This was the SF chapter, it's a lovely old place. We had a benefit for a hospice there the other night, Heaven Can't Wait, and it was swell.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I haven't seen the S.F. building, but my dad and aunt belong to the one in San Mateo. It's great... Plenty of parking, bowling alley, pool, gym and more.

Imahomer

Practically Family
That's one of the nice things about the city. Some of the older buildings really have style to them. The San Mateo building is new and although it has a lot going for it, I'm sure it would pale in comparison.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Nollaig faoi shean is faoi mhaise duit!

In case anyone thinks we're communicating in some arcane Masonic code (if Dan Brown is reading he will probably write a blockbuster novel about it!) we are writing in Irish.

I have admitted that my Irish is rather bad, but as I visit that fine country regularly, I always try to speak the native language as much as I can. Subvet is being both polite and generous.

Brother, wouldn't it be a fine thing to be at Newgrange for the Solstice to see the sunrise? I was there a few years ago, but wasn't lucky in the draw to go into the chamber for dawn, and anyway, the sunrise was clouded.

Here's to Stonehenge!

/l\

Subvet642 said:
Nilim fein Gaeilge maith agam!

Agus tu fein!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner