Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who does the best ink cartridge refills?

Smyat

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't recommend refilling your own ink and toner cartridges. It's penny-wise and greenback-foolish, IMVHO.

I've always been pretty fussy about the output from my printers and no refill ever gives 'factory' quality. One of the best things you can do in advance is evaluate printers from a cartridge/per-page cost along with all the other qualities. The cheaper the printer, the more likely it has expensive, hard-to-find cartridges that will never be available at reasonable cost. You might pay a little more for a printer that uses a standard cartridge that's readily available on the cheap... or not pay more, just choose differently.

That said, you might be better off buying refurb cartridges at one-third the cost of OEM, rather than filling them yourself. There's a lot more to a toner or ink cartridge than just the toner or ink, and a quality refiller or compatible maker will test, refurb and/or replace everything to make that cart just like new. You can also buy aftermarket carts for a lot less without the brand name. Shop around online - brick-and-mortar office and computer stores are always LOTS higher - and pick up a few months' worth of carts at one time to save on shipping and the need to run pay store retail in a crisis.

My $0.02, not including inflation. :eek:

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
Need specifics...what pen is this going into? There are different cartridge types depending on the pen.

For example, Parker pens only take Parker refills.
Judging from all the ink-stained pockets on my dad's pants I was thinking writing pens, too. :rolleyes:
I've been advised not to keep cartridges for a printer on hand because they dry out? Wouldn't they dry out in the warehouse as well? Or did somebody see me coming?

Smyat

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
I've been advised not to keep cartridges for a printer on hand because they dry out? Wouldn't they dry out in the warehouse as well? Or did somebody see me coming?
Ink carts should be good for a couple of years if they remain fully sealed - that's with the seal tab on and in a sealed bag or shrinkwrap. Also check the manufacture or expiration dates on the ones you buy - time ticks even while they are sealed and you don't want ones that have been in a warehouse for years.

Toner is good almost indefinitely if the factory seals are intact. I have two very elderly printers for which I scour eBay etc. to feed, and I've had no trouble with carts several years past their nominal expiration dates.

It's well to estimate your needs for about a year, then shop for the cheapest source you can find and stock up. One of the best priced places around is TheNerds.net, but their shipping charges work against small orders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic