Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Is She?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
She died of alcoholism and anorexia.

At one point she was so down and out she took out ads in the newspapers that she was available for work. :(

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
She has the look of BIBA about her

_biba3.jpg

bradbraden

New in Town
You know I think most folks look at an image like this and think it's so long ago. But you know in the scheme of human history it's almost like yesterday. Of course folks will look at our pictures 80 years from now and think of this era as the old days.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Even sadder is that for a brief period in the mid-twenties -- just a couple years after the picture was taken -- she was truly on top of the world: one of the biggest stars at Warner Brothers, and Ernst Lubitsch's favorite actress. Watch "The Marriage Circle" sometime -- she wasn't just a pretty face. Studio politics and predatory men cost her her career, and her life.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that is a pretty sad story.

Yes it is.... and it was not an unusual Hollywood scenario: from silent star to talkie has been.

Now, since we are not 100% sure of the identity of this person ... I would like to put reasonable doubt :)p) in the mind of the jurors here.

Compare with this photo of Beauty Mary Thurman, who worked with Marie Prevost in Sennett shorts at the same time. It is often difficult to tell them apart. Is it possible that the original photo in this post belongs to Mary Thurman? is it Marie? We'll never be sure for certain!

Mary_Thurman_Whos_Who_on_the_Screen.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Wow, that is a pretty sad story.

I think the detail that gets to me most is the dog.... I'm not a dog person, but I go to sleep at night with one of my cats snuggling up in the crook of my arm, purring away, and am woken up in the morning by her sister. It's a regular little routine they have going, and it's been like that almost right from the bat when they were only a couple of months old. I can imagine them doing exactly the same thing with me if I expired on them. Well.... at least if the litter tray needed cleaning or the water bowl refilling.... ;)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Yes it is.... and it was not an unusual Hollywood scenario: from silent star to talkie has been.

Now, since we are not 100% sure of the identity of this person ... I would like to put reasonable doubt :)p) in the mind of the jurors here.

Compare with this photo of Beauty Mary Thurman, who worked with Marie Prevost in Sennett shorts at the same time. It is often difficult to tell them apart. Is it possible that the original photo in this post belongs to Mary Thurman? is it Marie? We'll never be sure for certain!

GOOD ONE!

eqgw7a591vn9e9g1.jpg

They did look alike! Same wide, flat nose!! I'm wondering if the gal in my headshot isn't Mary Thurman and NOT Marie Prevost. I'll admit I'm rusty with my early silent stars lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the shots of Mary Thurman I've seen have her with a Colleen Moore-type haircut, but the face is very very similar to Marie. And she also came to a depressing end -- died of pneumonia in 1925.

(Are there any Sennett bathing beauties who *didn't* come to a sad end? Other than Gloria Swanson?)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think the detail that gets to me most is the dog.... I'm not a dog person, but I go to sleep at night with one of my cats snuggling up in the crook of my arm, purring away, and am woken up in the morning by her sister. It's a regular little routine they have going, and it's been like that almost right from the bat when they were only a couple of months old. I can imagine them doing exactly the same thing with me if I expired on them. Well.... at least if the litter tray needed cleaning or the water bowl refilling.... ;)

Yes, that rather bugged me as well. Thank heaven she didn't have a Mastiff eh?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
All the shots of Mary Thurman I've seen have her with a Colleen Moore-type haircut, but the face is very very similar to Marie. And she also came to a depressing end -- died of pneumonia in 1925.

(Are there any Sennett bathing beauties who *didn't* come to a sad end? Other than Gloria Swanson?)

A best selling book is waiting to be written there. It would need an author of exceptional research ability. Respected in the field of radio/film history. Someone who has the TV appearance chops to do the tour...

I wonder if that person would need a collaborator? :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab

In the 1910s I've seen pics of Mary Thurman with the longer hair of the time. She had the black bob in a 1921 Fatty Arbuckle film which is the earliest I've seen her with that hairstyle. My guess is this photo is from the late 1910s (?)

Gosh darnnit Miss Hadley -- now you've gone and done it lol lol Mary....or Marie? Or someone else entirely?

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I just stumbled across this thread (bizarrely whilst searching for safari suits!). It made me think of the old song by Nick Lowe 'Marie Provost'. It contains the wonderfully sick couplet "She was the winner, Who became the doggie's dinner."

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I will have to show the original picture posted, to someone in my Family that is a expert on all the silent film era stars....she is never wrong about "who is who"....and can recall things from the press or the old "gossip" about the star without having to look it up. It is an advantage to be 103 years old when it comes to these issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy