Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is the preferred vendor for WWII gear?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Though I still want to work the partisian and resistance angle... It seems that I'm being drafted in yet another timeline...

So therefore, who is the preferred vendor for WWII uniforms and gear??

My plan is to put together a basic set of US GI gear for the events, yet also be able to fall in where and when I'm needed.

Is German webgear expensive?

Zero in on an area.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would like to say that there was a time in which the Army-Navy store as a purveyor of military surplus was the pre-eminant source for WWII goods. As time went on these sources have dried up, eventually WWII items began to take on historical significance so that what was common is now rare and expensive. The equipment and clothing is extensive and there are companies that specialize in specific areas of recreating the "kit" for the various military branches and areas of combat.

What you need to do is some research as to what specialty you are to be part of in the re-enactments. Are you going to be and ordinary soldier or an Paratrooper and the like. There are military history and picture books published that show the uniforms and equipment for the various units and such. Can't think of the publishers but these books are out there.

From there you can zero in on what you need and ask specifics as to recreating the uniform and equipment. You may find original stuff or recreations in many items also some items were made nearly unchanged for many years so you may be ablle to find substitutes from later years that are accurate for your needs.

Items were also Theatre Specific - Europe, Pacific, Africa etc.

When you know what you are looking for you'll get better results from your questions.

OH, sometimes going to gun shows can help you find WWII stuff or get you connections for it.

KilroyCD

One Too Many

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
As one who re-enacted for 20 years I would suggest contacting a re-enactment club nearby. They would be more than happy to help you. I was fortunate to have started in the 1980s. As John said Surplus stores WERE the place to go. I was lucky to get alot of original gear (US) for cheap back then.
Be careful of ebay there is alot of "hose artists" out there. WWII Impression has I think the best repros but you will pay the price. Juan is a great guy and stands by his work. I used to re-enact with him so I know his standards. German stuff is REAL expensive the re-enactors back then (Krauts) used to modify old Swiss Tunics. With the fall of the wall alot of East German surplus hit the market. Some of this equipment has not changed in 60 years, Mess kits, boots etc. You new re-enactors are lucky as their are alot of new Companies out there compared to when I was in.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
As one who re-enacted for 20 years I would suggest contacting a re-enactment club nearby. They would be more than happy to help you. I was fortunate to have started in the 1980s. As John said Surplus stores WERE the place to go. I was lucky to get alot of original gear (US) for cheap back then.
Be careful of ebay there is alot of "hose artists" out there. WWII Impression has I think the best repros but you will pay the price. Juan is a great guy and stands by his work. I used to re-enact with him so I know his standards. German stuff is REAL expensive the re-enactors back then (Krauts) used to modify old Swiss Tunics. With the fall of the wall alot of East German surplus hit the market. Some of this equipment has not changed in 60 years, Mess kits, boots etc. You new re-enactors are lucky as their are alot of new Companies out there compared to when I was in.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I agree with DutchIndo, Juan's (WWII Impressions) gear is some of the very best I've seen. His authenticity is second to none. However, his gear is a bit more costly than others.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

Thanks again!

I just picked up my basic issue uniform. Pants, shirt, lowboots, legings, belt and OS cap.

I had to tailot the pants and lower the waist. But they loog great!!

Cheers!

RudyN

One of the Regulars
I would recommend What price glory. I have quite a bit of Jerry's stuff and like it all. It compares quite nicely with my original items. Of course, I may be somewhat prejudiced in his favor as I only live 60 miles from his business and can get stuff to my home in about one-two days time or drive down if I really need it in a hurry.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Badluck Brody said:
Though I still want to work the partisian and resistance angle... It seems that I'm being drafted in yet another timeline...

So therefore, who is the preferred vendor for WWII uniforms and gear??

My plan is to put together a basic set of US GI gear for the events, yet also be able to fall in where and when I'm needed.

Is German webgear expensive?

There are many posts on this subject on the Adventurer's Gear thread, including a few about German gear.

I can recommend What Price Glory.

Very interested in your partisan/resistance angle, would like to hear more...

EDIT: Just remembered a good site with helpful reviews of many repro makers/sellers.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
WPG/SOF 'airtex' shirt sizing issue

I've just had to return a 4-pocket 'airtex' shirt/jacket and a shirt made out of the same material to Soldier of Fortune. They were the same size but the former was too big (and the sleeves/shoulder were wrong) and the latter was too tight. Having said that, the fabric was great and the construction was good!

Given that these had what looked like WPG labels removed, I guess it's fair to say that, unless I'm an odd shape (which is possible), it's worth double checking the sizing on these items with SOF and WPG to save on return postage.

I have to say this won't deter me from buying from these vendors in future, as I've had excellent service from both in the past and currently.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Just an Update

It's been a while since my original post...Since then I've collected my G.I impression, served through a good winter tactical and have recently been hooked by the Red Army.

Even my missus has suited up as a frontovik!

Most of my US gear and uniform has come from At the Front.

My Red Army gear and uniform has come from Trident and Front of Russia.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Take care everyone and be safe!

CA Rosie

New in Town
You may also want to hit up any gun shows that may come your way. But just like shopping in an surplus store, one should check everything thing on an item you may want to purchase. Nothing like being out in the field without a housewife kit (aka sewing kit) and having your pants split. You may also find a really good deal on a weapon and helment. But like one of the other replys posted, you should really get with a reenacting group, they will be able to lead you in the right direction on how to find things in your area.

I cant give you an idea on how much the german gear goes for, but if you look at www.chgww2.com under the axis groups, this will give you a listing for various German impressions. Anyone of these groups should be willing to help you with information on the uniform.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
WPG has some great stuff, an excellent service, good straight communication and above all - they are fast.
To my mind they have some "pretty true to original" replica.
And given the dollar right now - compared to Europe currency - it's cheap too!

I am not into reenacting or anything like that. Just likes to mix some uniform parts with my ordinary, everyday clothing sometimes.
In other words: I am not a "right-button-gestapo-freak".;)
If you get my drift...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR