Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is Your Beauty Muse?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
AirborneSally said:
Oh, my Muse is Vera Ellen! She is amazing, not in to many movies but I just love her. She was in White Christmas with Bing, Rosemarry, and Danny Kaye. Anyone else know who she is?
:eek:fftopic:
...but evertime I watched White Christmas, I always thought she was so teeny tiny!!

melankomas

One of the Regulars
this will seem a bit odd, perhaps, but Marlene Dietrich and Cab Calloway. you could ask, but i doubt i'd be able to explain satisfactorily. i also suspect "satisfactorily" of not being a real word, but i'm too lazy to consult a dictionary at the moment.

Grantgirl

New in Town
I did not like Vera Ellen's short skirts in White Christmas. I thought she had the most spindly little legs I had ever seen. I thought she looked awkward but then when I saw her in On the town she had a much better look. Younger days I guess...

I love Lana Turner & Greer Garson also..

On another note, I am reading this book that is an absolute HOOT. Has anyone read Eleanore King's Guide to Glamor? LOVE IT- it is so vintage-y and weird but yet some things in it still apply. I'm loving the section on holding your head straight hahaha lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'd have to go with Rita Hayworth, or perhaps Barbara Stanwyck.

Grantgirl said:
I did not like Vera Ellen's short skirts in White Christmas. I thought she had the most spindly little legs I had ever seen. I thought she looked awkward but then when I saw her in On the town she had a much better look. Younger days I guess...

She was suffering from anorexia at the time White Christmas was made. Notice how during the entire movie, she only wears high-necked garments? Even her PJs have a high collar! That was done to hide her neck, which looked unsightly from years of battling anorexia. That's why her legs were so thin, and she looked so tiny.

Rosa Moline

New in Town
For me it would be Rita Hayworth and Bette Davis. Bette wasn't a conventional beauty, but she definitely had style. Jane Russell was another beauty. I look to other brunettes for inspiration!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
There were a number of actresses I admired when I was a teenager, mostly light-weight actresses. Kim Novak, Doris Day, etc, though was intrigued when I was a kid by all the sexy redheads out there, especially Rita Hayworth. She was out of my league, though.

But by the time I was 18, it was the incomparable Ingrid Bergman -- and I stuck with her until she died. Now, I like her daughter, Isabella Rosselini, who looks so much like her mother and yet doesn't.

I have always loved Audrey Hepburn, too, but, again, she was out of my league. Too slender, too elegant for me to emulate, onstage or off.

karol

AirborneSally

New in Town
fortworthgal said:
I'd have to go with Rita Hayworth, or perhaps Barbara Stanwyck.

She was suffering from anorexia at the time White Christmas was made. Notice how during the entire movie, she only wears high-necked garments? Even her PJs have a high collar! That was done to hide her neck, which looked unsightly from years of battling anorexia. That's why her legs were so thin, and she looked so tiny.

I knew she had a problem with anorexia but I didnt know it was in that movie...i guess that explains lots tho. I always thought she looked JUST like a barbie in White Christmas.

GOK

One Too Many
I'm not sure I have any muses - I certainly don't try to emulate anyone - I have only ever wanted to be me. However, as Katiemakeup has said; strong, striking, dark haired women are my shtick, and I am definitely another black & crimson kind of woman. Or should that be scarlet?!! :p

On the subject of Dita's book - I love the fetish side of it. The burlesque is really sweet but the f-part is stunningly beautiful IMO.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
GOK said:
On the subject of Dita's book - I love the fetish side of it. The burlesque is really sweet but the f-part is stunningly beautiful IMO.

I was very apprehensive on reading 'the other side' but so glad I did, it really opened my eyes and appreciate Fetishism, even though I may not be that way inclined - apart from the stockings and girdles! Great Book!

Grantgirl

New in Town
Oh wow, no I had no idea about the anorexia, that explains the drastic change in her look. now I feel bad- erase, erase, erase LOL...

but I told my husband, her legs are so thin it is strange to see a woman in the movies during that time that was so thin. She would fit in with today's bunch!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Don't feel badly! You didn't say anything negative, just that she looked too thin - which she did, for now obvious reasons.

Apparently she dealt with anorexia for quite a while, through most of the 1950s I've read.

Grantgirl

New in Town
Gosh it makes you wonder how long the disease has been around doesn't it?

In a way I wish things were like they used to be where a curvy woman was admired and celebrated. Today if you don't look like a stick figure you don't work in Hollywood evidently. I think that may be why the backlash of all the 'reality TV'. Heck sometimes even those shows seem to be about the pretty and thin!

The funny thing is though in Eleanore King's "Guide to Glamor" I was looking at the weight chart and according to my height I'm supposed to be 100lbs even! I workout as much as possible, eat normally, use weights, etc and that still makes me 40 lbs overweight. I think as much as I'd like to lose 15 right now, I would look like a complete circus freak at that weight.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Grantgirl said:
Gosh it makes you wonder how long the disease has been around doesn't it?

In a way I wish things were like they used to be where a curvy woman was admired and celebrated. Today if you don't look like a stick figure you don't work in Hollywood evidently. I think that may be why the backlash of all the 'reality TV'. Heck sometimes even those shows seem to be about the pretty and thin!

The funny thing is though in Eleanore King's "Guide to Glamor" I was looking at the weight chart and according to my height I'm supposed to be 100lbs even! I workout as much as possible, eat normally, use weights, etc and that still makes me 40 lbs overweight. I think as much as I'd like to lose 15 right now, I would look like a complete circus freak at that weight.

:eek:fftopic: anorexia has been a serious problem for a very long time. as one example, and certainly not the eldest, i believe women (possibly men, i have no idea) during Queen Victoria's reign suffered from anorexia prompted by the desire to appear pious and unworldly. i could very well have the wrong time period...

Glaistig

New in Town
melankomas said:
:eek:fftopic: anorexia has been a serious problem for a very long time.
This thread has been very insightful, fascinating about how what we think of as a "modern" phenomenon -- i.e., anorexia -- has impacted women at many different times. . ..

My beauty muses:

(1) Josephine Baker
(2) Louise Brooks
(3) Audrey Hepburn
(4) Many vintage pictures of classic flappers. . . .

As for Mme Dita Von Teese, tee hee, I must admit to adoring her quote "I advocate glamour. Every day. Every minute." I can't always live up to it, but I love the concept!

And, from what I can see, many of the ladies on this site exemplify an easy going, almost effortless approach to this idea.... :cool2:

Folly

One of the Regulars
Audrey. I don't think you can ever go wrong with following her lead. If in doubt, thinking WWAD (what would audrey do) has helped me out time after time!

I have a lovely book that is all about her look and style. It has a list of clothes to make up an Audrey wardrobe and make up charts too. It's really inspiring. When I got it, I spent most of the time milling about in a little black dress and kitten heeled shoes. I even went to a day of vintage and classic car racing done up as Holly Golightly!

But I do have a habit of doing my lipstick like Lillian Gish! My husband has to stop me going out like it!

Liz

I think my two biggest inspirations would be Brigitte Bardot and Ronnie Spector.

jugband1

New in Town
ooh--so hard to choose!

I think Hedy Lamarr is big for me, also Vivien Leigh, Ava Gardner, Gene Tierney, and Jane Russell. Being brunette myself, I love all the saucy dark haired ladies. Their glamour inspires me. Modern day? I have to agree about Dita. She has it.

-kate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy