Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who made Sak Fifth Avenue hats in the 40's?

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
A friend brought over his grandfather's fedora to ask my opinion regarding cleaning and restoration. The hat's lining simple says Saks Fifth Avenue and the leather sweat band is stamped Leisure Flex Pat.2682175. He showed me a photo of his grandfather taken in 1949 wearing the hat. The hat is dirty with some sweat stains and discoloured ribbons but he wants to have it restored if it is worth it. Otherwise seems to be in pretty good shape. What do you folks advise me to tell him.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hat Corporation of America (Cavanagh, Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, Dunlap, Knox) made hats for Saks Fifth Avenue back then, but I can't say that they were the only makers for them.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that, rlk. I was thinking that was a Hat Corporation of America term, but couldn't remember for sure, and all of my information is on my other hard drive. (Just installed a new hard drive, and need a power adapter for Molex to SATA before I can get my files off my backup drive.)

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's the one, thanks! I thought there might be a typo for the patent number in the original post, since the search for that number brought up some kind of drive mechanism.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy