Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes Cafe Racers in Europe?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I was planning to get the Diamond Dave J-100 but after having problems with the ****ing custom office, I back down. Last time I was charged around 45% in taxes. DD's jacket is $900. After taxes it'll go to $1,300. For the same money I can purchase the Real McCoy's Buco J-100 in England. And then I'll get killed by future ex-girlfriend :eusa_doh:

So, besides Aero and its dissents Alexander L, who makes Cafe Racers in Europe?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hey, thanks Andrew :)

I'm after something similar to the J-100. I like its simplicity; no collar, no action back, no belts, just a couple of chest pockets and a zipper.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Just in case you want more info on Lewis Leather here is the review of mine:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74729-Lewis-Leathers-Dominator-No-551

Great Jacket and great company to deal with!

They have a few jackets with a cafe racer style collar, the super sportsman is the simplest and can be ordered without stripes and without the brand patch on the chest...

http://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=jak-68

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Thanks Andrew and Carlos :)

I want it minimalistic, like this Schott CAF1;

345_312.jpg

There is a Schott outlet near my town, I'm going to drop by. It's strange there aren't more makers in Europe. I thought cafe racer jackets were a British invention. :)

Meerkat

Familiar Face

345_312.jpg

There is a Schott outlet near my town, I'm going to drop by. It's strange there aren't more makers in Europe. I thought cafe racer jackets were a British invention. :)

I suppose real cafe racers spent their low wages on their bikes.....be aware that Schott USA and Schott Europe seem only connected by brand name. Scott ( not Schott) make very solid jackets.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hey thanks! Surferbruce, Meerkat, and Pipvh

Thedi Leathers is a discovery. I love their Indian jacket;

MTC12792_1.jpg

be aware that Schott USA and Schott Europe seem only connected by brand name

Yeah, I know. I won't purchase from them without trying first. Last time I was at their shop here everything they had was horrible.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I thought cafe racer jackets were a British invention. :)
I think this was a name coined by Aero?
The so called Cafe (pronounced Caff, check the movie 'The leather Boys') racer jacket is based around motorcycle leathers worn by professional racers such as TT riders. The main difference being the collar and being a jacket rather than a suit. Many modern designers refer to this collar shape as 'Mandarin' as in Chinese for our Power Ranger suits.
Most old bike jackets from the Cafe racing days of the 1960s were of the lancer style with straight zip jackets usually with A2 style collars. Plain jackets in the early Ton Up days then slightly more decorated for the mid 60s, by the late 60s to 70s bikers tended to wear more studs patches or metal badges, they also tended to be referred to as 'Greasers'

I suppose real cafe racers spent their low wages on their bikes

100%
And most 'Rockers' could not afford BSA Gold Stars.

John(Ex 70s Rocker/Greaser) Now Busa riding Power Ranger.:D

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I think this was a name coined by Aero?

Coined by Aero? :eeek: This is the story as I know it; after WWII the UK started to build its "motorways" network with rest stops along them. Then, bikers started to ride their machines through these "motorways". They enjoyed doing "the ton". That is riding from one rest stop to another, from a Cafe to another Cafe, therefore "cafe racers".

"Mandarin" collar origins in biker's jackets is obvious. They started to wear integral helmets and collar flaps are a pain with this kind of head protection.

BTW :) I belong to a family with a long tradition of bikers. My father, my grand father and at least my great grand father were bikers. My great grand father was a pioneer during the 1920s when he was almost a child. Highways here were developed later and they rode "boppers". My grand father had an early "Montesa", a national brand, but my great grand father had 1920s BMWs. Not sure if he ever had the change of driving american stuff like the Indians.

My great grand father drove his bike with a suit, and a big leather trench coat (what we call now "wehrmacht" coats). The perception of bikers as rebels ala Marlon Brando in "The wild one" didn't exist.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Coined by Aero? :eeek: This is the story as I know it; after WWII the UK started to build its "motorways" network with rest stops along them. Then, bikers started to ride their machines through these "motorways". They enjoyed doing "the ton". That is riding from one rest stop to another, from a Cafe to another Cafe, therefore "cafe racers".

I think "the ton" just refers to 100mph, not the action of going from one cafe to the next...

"ton up" riders being riders who went faster than 100mph!

It's all in there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocker_(subculture)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bikers had meet ups at cafes well before the UK motorway network was established. They used A roads. I remember them meeting at cafes on the A20 as a child in the 1960s. Originally the term "café racer" described the sleek racing bikes they rode.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I think "the ton" just refers to 100mph, not the action of going from one cafe to the next...

It's all in there:

Yeah, "the ton" was some kind of achievement back then ;) I once read that they inserted a coin into the jukebox and they tried to go and come back from one cafe to another before the song ended. Anything by Eddie Cochran or Gene Vicent. Two and half minutes long at most.

I was at the Ace Cafe in London and I love it!

BSA_riders_at_2007_Ace_Cafe_reunion.jpg

6134085288_d1a20590f8_o.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

345_312.jpg

I know what you mean. To my eye the Lewis jackets are too busy.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Bikers had meet ups at cafes well before the UK motorway network was established. They used A roads. I remember them meeting at cafes on the A20 as a child in the 1960s. Originally the term "café racer" described the sleek racing bikes they rode.
Yes that is correct. Though the bikes were not always sleek Andrew, a lot leaked oil and bits fell off:p The design was basically a race bike[look] for the road often built by youngsters, some talented, some not so:p.
But the use of the term Café with the accent over the é, is a modern usage being promoted by an American bike program imported to UK TV. Anyone, especially in the south and London would say Cafe(pronounced Caff), check the film, The LeatherBoys. Bikers have a cup of coffee or tea, often accompanied with a sausage sandwich in a cafe, you go to the European continent or discuss Facebook in a Café!

It's all in there:

The 'pudding base' helmet was a bit outdated by thee late 50s and into the 60s, 'Rockers' and just about everybody else wore the new Jet style, the old pudding being relegated to the racing riders as they could hear the engine better. These were worn right up to the 1970s by some racers.
Been there too, not bad but full of old codgers like me these days.

Coined by Aero? :eeek:
Here, I am referring to the name of a bike jacket style:)
JonnyTee
J

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello, late to the party but we have a shop here in Paris which have a partnership with VANSON USA to make a Cafe Racer. They don't sell by Internet but have a Facebook page where you can see their products = T-BIRD
Cheers,
F68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo