Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Dave/Diamond Sportswear J-100 Review

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's been about 10 months since I received my J-100 in seal brown shank HH. I had been searching for 6 months to find the perfect first leather jacket and after seeing a couple of threads about his jackets here I found my way to his website and stumbled upon what may be the deal of my lifetime as he was just then running a very special deal of offering shank HH J-100s for just over $900.

Now, for that price I didn't expect it to be exactly like the smooth and laser-straight RMC/FH/Himel jackets. In fact, he uses the same, more grainy shank that JC of Good Wear uses so it couldn't be the same. In addition, like Good Wear and unlike the Japanese repro manufacturers, Dave advertises less-than-perfect stitching and construction that is still absolutely solid and serviceable. His work is advertised. There are some minor stitching imperfections that you can see in the pictures that you likely won't find on the Japanese jackets. However, I think the pictures also will prove that the construction is still top notch overall. It is a very solidly-constructed jacket and I have yet to run into any actual construction flaws and don't expect to.

More importantly, and another great difference between Dave and some other makers is the cut of the jacket. I have seen in other forums (IH specifically) that RMC and other makers' J-100/cafe racer jackets are rather slim and straight cut with thin biceps. I'm not a body builder, but I do need a decent drop from my shoulders/chest and do need room in my arms/shoulders. Dave's jacket is definitely cut more for a person of my build and I have to say that I think it fits me like a glove. Dave recommended going to a size 42 instead of my normal size 40 after I gave hime my measurements and his advice was spot on. The Shinki HH itself is immaculate and definitely the most beautiful leather I have ever seen in my personal opinion (I'm not trying to say it is better than others) and honestly it makes me just want to have other shades of Shinki for all my other jackets.

Ten months later and I definitely am satisfied with my purchase. Even at a slightly higher price, I would still say that Dave's jackets are more than worth it. I know some people absolutely must have perfect stitching and like Dave says, this isn't for them. However, for people who want a beautifully constructed jacket with a very well-crafted cut (best part of the jacket besides the hide) with truly top-notch customer service for an absolute steal of a price, then Dave is someone you should contact. I am honestly surprised that more people aren't wearing his jackets.

Anyway, here are some pics after about 6 months of pretty consistent wear, which is quite a lot considering I live in Orange County.
IvtUFB5.jpg
ISItH5S.jpg
ocxKdkt.jpg
pKM7tAC.jpg
2g5tBxm.jpg
Iwkzzxc.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
please excuse the absolutely awful photography. It isn't my forte at all. Fit pics:
HCTr1Ne.jpg

oUPCTkq.jpg

7s8nMJi.jpg
gY1S9P6.jpg

The back pic is terrible, but I just wanted to show off the fact that it isn't a bi-swing back which I certainly prefer.

trapp

Practically Family
Thanks for the photos and the informative and enthusiastic review. Stunning jacket and nice fit. I agree it fits you like a glove and it certainly appears going with the 42 was the right choice. I like the color of the jacket as well. I have the feeling people will start buying more of DDs stuff as more threads like these featuring his jackets make their way on the lounge.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the photos and the informative and enthusiastic review. Stunning jacket and nice fit. I agree it fits you like a glove and it certainly appears going with the 42 was the right choice. I like the color of the jacket as well. I have the feeling people will start buying more of DDs stuff as more threads like these featuring his jackets make their way on the lounge.

Thanks for the very kind words! I may not have covered anything, but I am happy to answer any other questions and provide any other pictures that people might want. I love the color as well, especially considering that it is my only leather jacket and is probably the most versatile color available.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Great jacket. I absolutely loved the one i had but it was a size too small. It actually fit like the board racer fit pics of wade that carrie posted. It wasnt bad really, just not what i wanted.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Dude, that's a bonafide keeper. Thanks for the thoughtful report and fit pics. Always great to see the face behind the avatar!

technovox

One Too Many
Beautiful cafe racer! I love that Shinki horsehide. And the fit looks spot on. My favorite part is the simple Buco style back, without gussets or action. And the zipper placement on top of the sleeves. In fact, I like everything about this jacket, including the price. Looks like D. Dave is another hidden treasure. If I didn't already own a similar style Himel Kensington cafe racer, I'd be next in line to order.
Nice write-up and good photos.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful cafe racer! I love that Shinki horsehide. And the fit looks spot on. My favorite part is the simple Buco style back, without gussets or action. And the zipper placement on top of the sleeves. In fact, I like everything about this jacket, including the price. Looks like D. Dave is another hidden treasure. If I didn't already own a similar style Himel Kensington cafe racer, I'd be next in line to order.
Nice write-up and good photos.

Thanks for the kind word everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

I agree with you wholeheartedly technovox. The zipper placements and especially the simple back with no action are my favorite features along with Dave's cut and the lack of any pockets other than the two chest pockets. It is so simple and clean. If you have a Kensington, you definitely don't need this as they are quite similar and obviously Himel makes an epic jacket. Personally, I am hoping to save up for the Canuck eventually. If I wanted an A-2, I would probably get one of DD's Russet Goat models. That hide looks beautiful.

@Bretron: Thanks so much! It absolutely has satisfied my cafe racer needs... now on to others when I can afford them;)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Handsome jacket. I bid on one of his jackets recently, but held off on sizing. (the jacket brought a nice price) A cafe racer is a tough fit for me and I have/had a few, but I like em. Nice to hear about the fit. I like his work.

Terry

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, I got a black one just before Christmas, and I am very happy with it. But then the UK weather is a bit too cold to wear the J-100 at the moment. I shall post some pictures later on as well.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful jacket. I also exchanged messages with Dave during his promotion but opted for the Buco because the stock Asian-fit jacket fits me perfectly. Would still have got the DD but for the substantial devaluation of the yen and zero import duties, full Japanese tax refund and free shipping. Despite those, the Buco is still more expensive. I saw firsthand Justhandgun's DD and it is a great jacket. Unless you are of smaller build and prefer the "tea core", DD's is a better bargain.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Dave is certainly an up and coming maker and his relationship with Goodyear is just bolstering his reputation. That's a great looking jacket, wear it in good health and beat it up a bit...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Well, I got a black one just before Christmas, and I am very happy with it. But then the UK weather is a bit too cold to wear the J-100 at the moment. I shall post some pictures later on as well.

I would love to see pics of yours! Post some as soon as you get the chance.

@Pawineguy: I agree. He is definitely on the rise and it certainly doesn't hurt that he has a relationship with the man who is widely considered to be the best leather jacket maker in the world (even David Himel concedes this!)

@Smithy: Thanks. It fits better than a glove.

@handymike: Don't worry, I'm wearing it as much as possible!

@Blackadder: Thanks! I think it's great that there is more than one option for fit in the J-100 style market today. Even with the price increase, you made the right decision by getting the jacket that fit you more properly. I definitely do not prefer the tea core for now because I don't have anything black to wear with a new black jacket.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful jacket. I also exchanged messages with Dave during his promotion but opted for the Buco because the stock Asian-fit jacket fits me perfectly. Would still have got the DD but for the substantial devaluation of the yen and zero import duties, full Japanese tax refund and free shipping. Despite those, the Buco is still more expensive. I saw firsthand Justhandgun's DD and it is a great jacket. Unless you are of smaller build and prefer the "tea core", DD's is a better bargain.

Was the DD jacket you saw Shinki or one his other leathers? I'm just curious because I haven't heard of anyone but me having a Shinki one from him. I know he has used other cool leathers such as Horween's Vermont Espresso.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner