Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Makes The Best Satin Flight Jacket?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Who makes the best quality satin flight jacket...MA-1, CWU 45-P, etc? Alpha, G&B, Cockpit, Rothco? Not looking for a $$$ jacket, just one that fits, is warm / lightweight, and looks decent. I would stipulate under $150.

Any ideas?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
G&B sell their own MA1's made in California as well as Alphas made in china. The domestic ones are a thicker nylon and the stitching is dead on. Their lining is the same color as the jacket. No orange. That's how you tell them apart.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Definitely not Rothco! There's nothing wrong with Alpha, I've been wearing one of their current MA-1s over wool sweaters all through the recent deep freeze. I'm sure the G&Bs are great too - likely better - but I've never handled one. My son had a Cockpit WEP jacket that was well made, though the zipper developed problems...

Best prices on Alphas are usually here - I've bought from these guys many times:

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/alpha-ma1-flight-jacket-p2533.aspx

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
G&B sell their own MA1's made in California as well as Alphas made in china. The domestic ones are a thicker nylon and the stitching is dead on. Their lining is the same color as the jacket. No orange. That's how you tell them apart.

Seb, are you happy with the fit? I know you are tall, but are you happy with the fit through the chest?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't have one yet, my info coms from the VLJ forum and Drew at G&B. I have a new Alpha and it is reasonable quality I have to agree with Dr Strange. The nylon is lighter than my Alpha from 2000 (which is somewhat better quality all round), and the stitching is okay. But the sleeves in a large tall are still a little short - 25 inches.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Seb Lucas said:
I don't have one yet, my info coms from the VLJ forum and Drew at G&B. I have a new Alpha and it is reasonable quality I have to agree with Dr Strange. The nylon is lighter than my Alpha from 2000 (which is somewhat better quality all round), and the stitching is okay. But the sleeves in a large tall are still a little short - 25 inches.
Can I trouble you for some measurements of your Large/Tall jacket? That's the size I had figured would work for me but Alpha of course provides no useful information and the only measurements I can find online are on Japanese websites (which I'm reluctant to rely on). If possible armpit-to-armpit, across shoulder blades, sleeve, and back length.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can I trouble you for some measurements of your Large/Tall jacket? That's the size I had figured would work for me but Alpha of course provides no useful information and the only measurements I can find online are on Japanese websites (which I'm reluctant to rely on). If possible armpit-to-armpit, across shoulder blades, sleeve, and back length.

Shoulders 19.5
Pit to Pit 25
Back 24 to the nylon, 27 with knit
Sleeve 24.5 to the nylon and 26.5 with knits.

The pit to pit seems wide but it's a jacket that is filled with nylon so worn it is more like 23.5. Looking at the sleeve more carefully it measures okay but when you stretch out your arm it rides up a fair bit so that it actually ends up somewhat up your wrist. It's a tailoring issue can live with it.

Hope that helps, Doc.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Shoulders 19.5
Pit to Pit 25
Back 24 to the nylon, 27 with knit
Sleeve 24.5 to the nylon and 26.5 with knits.

The pit to pit seems wide but it's a jacket that is filled with nylon so worn it is more like 23.5. Looking at the sleeve more carefully it measures okay but when you stretch out your arm it rides up a fair bit so that it actually ends up somewhat up your wrist. It's a tailoring issue can live with it.

Hope that helps, Doc.
That's my size to a tee and now I have the confidence to order a jacket without having to find a store which stocks them in multiple sizes, etc, so your measurements are a great help. Thanks... I owe you one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart