Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best Trench Coat?

Hal

Practically Family
I also have a Grenfell which is beautiful, every bit the equal of the Burberry, and bought on eBay for a fraction of what the Burberrys cost me owing to the name being that little bit less fashionable.
My Grenfell trench-coat - made of Grenfell cloth - is very waterproof indeed. I don't know how good the more recent Grenfell coats are.
....I often find that here in London a SB Mac style (of which I have a couple) to be better suited to the warmer weather. Sort of the next step down from a covert coat in terms of weight. Burberry models of these are an excellent used buy - superb quality, and because they don't have the fashion cachet of the db trench, they come in at a tiny fraction of the new price.
Strictly speaking, a Mac is not a style but a totally waterproof raincoat, of which the most stylish and most practical are tne double-texture riding-macs, single-breasted and belted. Unfortunately new ones are astronomically expensive. See earlier postings by nightandthe city on this.
The single-breasted style of raincoat to which you refer, with raglan sleeves and a fly-front, is by far the best summer coat for light rain, and in my opinion is an essential on our rainy island. (What is more, both a cap and a trilby/fedora look good with this coat.) You're absolutely right about the abundance and relatively low price of Burberrys of this style.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall reading here - or in another forum, maybe - about a trenchcoat that was being made in England. Did Burberry move production to China, and the factory in England revert to producing similar coats under their own mark, much cheaper but to a high quality standard? I'm sure I recall that, but I can't pull to mind any more information than that, alas.
Probably these guys:
Traditional Rainwear Ltd

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here are some images from the September 20th 1918 issue of Stars and Stripes. According to information i found, the first so-called "trench" coat was designed by Thomas Burberry and submitted to The War Office in 1901. Seems that not much has changed in the design since then. But I can't help but wonder if the cape on the backs of the first design were not functional as hoods to protect officers from the rain. Form following function and all, especially in designs for military use. Note the removable Wallaby collar option on the Kenbar.
DSCN1757_zps17ec33ba.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is another which looks to be a bit less detailed.
DSCN1756_zps8986bd3b.jpg
[/IMG]

Doublegun

Practically Family
About 10-years ago I took the plunge and bought the classic Burberry trench - below the knees, all cotton gaberdine (Model 21?). Made in London. Even at the price it has been worth every penny. The look and lines on the coat are simply iconic and it dresses up and down with ease. When I travel for work it's almost always with me because it will work with a suit or jeans and loafers.

Looking at the Burberry site I didn't see where one of the classic length coats is even available today.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doublegun said:
Looking at the Burberry site I didn't see where one of the classic length coats is even available today.
100% cotton gabardine, made in the UK, long trench coat with all the trimmings, including foot tabs which they haven't had for years. Don't be fooled by the photography: they use skinny models and pins so this coat looks slimmer in the photos than it really is. However, in my opinion the price is not justifiable, since diligent combing of e-Bay and thrift stores will turn up perfectly good substitutes (I have three trench coats which are as good as Burberry).

Last edited:

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Just picked a Brooks Brothers Trench with removable liner.

It was a great price and the quality seems top notch.

I will post a review as soon as time permits.

Dave

earl

A-List Customer
100% cotton gabardine, made in the UK, long trench coat with all the trimmings, including foot tabs which they haven't had for years. Don't be fooled by the photography: they use skinny models and pins so this coat looks slimmer in the photos than it really is. However, in my opinion the price is not justifiable, since diligent combing of e-Bay and thrift stores will turn up perfectly good substitutes (I have three trench coats which are as good as Burberry).

As with all things, I look at cost-benefit. Am a fan of thrift stores and haven't found a good trench in 1. Have a good looking one resembling the Burberry. I bought new some 15 years or more ago. Burberry quality? Not hardly. But heavens, paid around $40 for it vs. $1600+:eeek::D Earl

dr greg

One Too Many
I have a simple test, it's a mile down to my front gate and back, and in the pouring rain, a Burberry starts to soak through at about 400 yds, but an old Aquascutum will take you all the way, I've tried many brands as i sell them on my stall, and some won't get you 50 yards in a serious heavy downpour, I'd like to try a Grenfell, but haven't been able to get one out here...

Hal

Practically Family
100% cotton gabardine, made in the UK, long trench coat with all the trimmings, including foot tabs which they haven't had for years...in my opinion the price is not justifiable, since diligent combing of e-Bay and thrift stores will turn up perfectly good substitutes (I have three trench coats which are as good as Burberry).
Also, one "trimming" this particular coat doesn't have is a closed inverted pleat at the back instead of an open vent. The closed back adds an enormous amount to the weather-protection afforded by a trench-coat.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hal said:
Also, one "trimming" this particular coat doesn't have is a closed inverted pleat at the back instead of an open vent. The closed back adds an enormous amount to the weather-protection afforded by a trench-coat.
Actually it does have the full length bellows vent with button tab - it just doesn't show up well in the photography. I've looked at this exact model in a Burberry store and can confirm that detail.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My Grenfell trench-coat - made of Grenfell cloth - is very waterproof indeed. I don't know how good the more recent Grenfell coats are.
They claim the cloth to be Stain-Resistant......

Last edited by a moderator:

Soldat

New in Town
I thought I would mention my trench coat purchasing experience.

It is my opinion the trench coat is the one of the most versatile and useful outer garments one can wear. It was born in the trenches of the Great War and yet has classic styling. It can be worn for almost any occasion. This was my first choice for classic outerwear. When the time came for me to upgrade my wardrobe the trench coat was on my list.

I didn't want to spend my time searching for a used trench coat at various thrift stores. Those places are hit or miss and even the hits can have issues. So, I started researching all the major high end cold and wet weather coat manufacturers here in the United States and overseas. Naturally I started with "Burburry" and "Aquascutum" followed by every other clothing manufacturer I could think of. I was very disappointed with my search. It appears that all the clothing manufacturers no longer produce a traditional trench coat. Everybody has modernized the look, material, and fit of the trench coat today. Some coats bear absolutely no resemblance to the original classic trench coat. However I did find one manufacturer in the UK that still produces the trench coat in its traditional form. It's called "Manchester Weathercoat Company". Below is there website.

http://www.traditionalrainwear.co.uk/

http://www.traditionalrainwear.co.uk/collections/mens-trench-coats

I chose a trench coat with a zip out wool lining and purchased it online from these folks at the beginning of December 2013. I received it in only two weeks. The workmanship and quality is outstanding and it fits perfectly. It has all the classic features a trench coat should have. It costed about $550 including the shipping. This was far less than $1000 to $2000 plus price tag on the Burburry or Aquatscutum coats which are no longer historically correct anyway. I highly encourage anyone looking for a newly manufactured traditional trench coat to get it from Manchester Weathercoat.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
A.C. Lyles said:
Have Burberry discontinued thier iconic Trench 21?
Hasn't been around for at least a decade. The current top-of-the-range models have the same features, more or less (minus the removable liner), but there are some minor details which are different: black buttons and the Burberry check under the collar.
http://us.burberry.com/long-cotton-gabardine-trench-coat-p36548881

In any case, the old coats are gone forever methinks. If you can find a used one, grab it. But there were plenty of competitors which were as good as Burberry, or nearly as good.

Stand By

One Too Many
I thought I would mention my trench coat purchasing experience.

It is my opinion the trench coat is the one of the most versatile and useful outer garments one can wear. It was born in the trenches of the Great War and yet has classic styling. It can be worn for almost any occasion. This was my first choice for classic outerwear. When the time came for me to upgrade my wardrobe the trench coat was on my list.

I didn't want to spend my time searching for a used trench coat at various thrift stores. Those places are hit or miss and even the hits can have issues. So, I started researching all the major high end cold and wet weather coat manufacturers here in the United States and overseas. Naturally I started with "Burburry" and "Aquascutum" followed by every other clothing manufacturer I could think of. I was very disappointed with my search. It appears that all the clothing manufacturers no longer produce a traditional trench coat. Everybody has modernized the look, material, and fit of the trench coat today. Some coats bear absolutely no resemblance to the original classic trench coat. However I did find one manufacturer in the UK that still produces the trench coat in its traditional form. It's called "Manchester Weathercoat Company". Below is there website.

http://www.traditionalrainwear.co.uk/

http://www.traditionalrainwear.co.uk/collections/mens-trench-coats

I chose a trench coat with a zip out wool lining and purchased it online from these folks at the beginning of December 2013. I received it in only two weeks. The workmanship and quality is outstanding and it fits perfectly. It has all the classic features a trench coat should have. It costed about $550 including the shipping. This was far less than $1000 to $2000 plus price tag on the Burburry or Aquatscutum coats which are no longer historically correct anyway. I highly encourage anyone looking for a newly manufactured traditional trench coat to get it from Manchester Weathercoat.

You see, THIS is why I love the FL ... great find, Soldat. It looks perfect ! Thanks for posting.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Manchester Weathercoat Company was reviewed here a few years ago. IIRC it was unfavorable, with shoddy workmanship being the main problem.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased from Manchester Weathercoat Company about 18 months ago, I got a removable wool lined version. I was/am VERY happy with the workmanship and have no complaints at all. I'd definitely recommend them. I guess any manufacturer can produce a lemon but from my experience I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again if I ever needed another.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Care to post a review, complete with photos, as did the member who posted the negative review?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ