Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why couldn;'t we go back to 50 cent gas ect

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Stearmen said:
"Fill it up sir, Ethel, check your oil sir, that'll be quarter sir!" Of course I was on my motorcycle! Some times with a big smile they would say, "wash your windows sir?"
lol wish I could of experienced that. Seems like bringing back gas attendants would be a good way to give people jobs. After all, there's no shortage of gas stations

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Vintage lover said:
I wouldn't exactly say that. In Israel, isn't gasoline only two cents a gallon?

Not according to a Google search on the words "petrol price israel" - Israel has, according to one of those sites, the third-highest petrol prices in the world at around US$6.13 a gallon.

This Wiki page on Gasoline and diesel usage and pricing contains some interesting facts and figures.

The US price is actually very low by "western" standards (which doesn't surprise me). Most countries that don't have substantial oil fields pay far more than the US price. From what I can see, the cheapest petrol price in the world is in Venezuela, where they have both plenty of oil and a gov't subsidy.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
DAJE said:
Not according to a Google search on the words "petrol price israel" - Israel has, according to one of those sites, the third-highest petrol prices in the world at around US$6.13 a gallon.

This Wiki page on Gasoline and diesel usage and pricing contains some interesting facts and figures.

The US price is actually very low by "western" standards (which doesn't surprise me). Most countries that don't have substantial oil fields pay far more than the US price. From what I can see, the cheapest petrol price in the world is in Venezuela, where they have both plenty of oil and a gov't subsidy.
I stand corrected. I must have been a while ago that I read that, most likely on MSN.com where my email is. Isn't there an abundance of oil in south America altogether?

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Vintage lover said:
I stand corrected. I must have been a while ago that I read that, most likely on MSN.com where my email is. Isn't there an abundance of oil in south America altogether?

I think Venezuela has a lot, while some other South American countries have a little.

In fact, looking at that Wiki page, it seems like you heard/read "Israel" when someone said "Venezuela" because the 2c/gallon price does seem to be true there. Even the other countries that have large amounts of oil have far higher gasoline prices than Venezuela.

The next cheapest I can see are 57c in Libya and 61c in Saudi Arabia.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Where's My Glasses?

Where's my glasses? Not my reading glasses! Gas stations would give away nice gifts for filling up, my first set of drinking glasses came from the filling station! Not any more, need a Big Gulp, buy it your self.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The lowest I remember was $.249 per gallon.(can't find the cent symbol). I could fill up my Metropolitan for under $3. Maps were free and there was always a need for a quart of oil if you let Gene check it. Took me once to realize he put the spout into an already empty can.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
St.Ignatz said:
The lowest I remember was $.249 per gallon.(can't find the cent symbol). I could fill up my Metropolitan for under $3. Maps were free and there was always a need for a quart of oil if you let Gene check it. Took me once to realize he put the spout into an already empty can.
Lol, oil rather you need it or not. I remember my grandfather telling me how his friends used to lift a guys Metropolitan and put it sideways on the curb while the owner was drinking in the bar they all hung out at.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
When the oil market crashed last summer, gas was down to about $1.80 a gallon in some areas, which is actually cheaper in real terms than 50 cent gas was in the mid-70s.

Still a price I would dream of. We have to pay 1.45 € per Liter and two years ago even 1.58 € :eek: The USA are still one of those countries with the cheapest energy prices of the G7 states.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I remember being at the gas station circa early 1970s and my dad just ranting and raving about the price being 53 cents a gallon. lol I thought the man was going to have a stroke!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Vintage lover said:
lol wish I could of experienced that. Seems like bringing back gas attendants would be a good way to give people jobs. After all, there's no shortage of gas stations

In the state of Oregon, you cannot pump your own gas; it must be done by an attendant. This is done to generate jobs. Yes, it was nice years ago to have someone wipe your windshield, check your fluid levels and air pressure, and do it all in a uniform complete with garrison cap...And the lowest I can remember gas was during a "gas war": 29 cents.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
In the state of Oregon, you cannot pump your own gas; it must be done by an attendant. This is done to generate jobs. Yes, it was nice years ago to have someone wipe your windshield, check your fluid levels and air pressure, and do it all in a uniform complete with garrison cap...And the lowest I can remember gas was during a "gas war": 29 cents.
Wow, how long did it stay at 29 cents?
And this begs the question, is it customary to tip your local gas station attendant?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We were selling gas for about 35 cents a gallon well into the '70s, right up until the gas panic hit in 1973, when it jumped to around 50 cents. It stayed right around the 50 to 65 cent range until the Iran hostage crisis in 1979, when it jumped sharply. By the time we went out of business in 1981 it was about $1.55 a gallon, which was intolerable at the time. Our profit margin by that time was less than 20 cents a gallon.

We never offered self service -- I never even saw a self-service pump until the mid-'80s. In fact, our attendants were expected, with every full tank of gas, to wash both the front and back windshields, to check the oil, and to check the pressure in the tires. And they weren't allowed to accept tips.

We also offered free air and free maps.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Vintage lover said:
Wow, how long did it stay at 29 cents?
And this begs the question, is it customary to tip your local gas station attendant?

It lasted quite a while if I recall correctly. My father did tip the boy/man who pumped the gas, but then that might have just been his belief; since he was an auto mechanic, he taught me to usually tip blue-collar workers.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
We were selling gas for about 35 cents a gallon well into the '70s, right up until the gas panic hit in 1973, when it jumped to around 50 cents. It stayed right around the 50 to 65 cent range until the Iran hostage crisis in 1979, when it jumped sharply. By the time we went out of business in 1981 it was about $1.55 a gallon, which was intolerable at the time. Our profit margin by that time was less than 20 cents a gallon.

We never offered self service -- I never even saw a self-service pump until the mid-'80s. In fact, our attendants were expected, with every full tank of gas, to wash both the front and back windshields, to check the oil, and to check the pressure in the tires. And they weren't allowed to accept tips.

We also offered free air and free maps.
Now thats what I call.....what are the words I am looking for.....oh yes, SUPER SERVICE!
[YOUTUBE]EowJYai95k8[/YOUTUBE]
Seriously, I really do wish I could experience that kind of customer care where I live. It just goes to show that you actually used to get more for your dollar. Honestly, if even one station gave that kind of experience, I would never go anywhere else.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
What was it about 12 years ago??? 90 cents or something?
I think it was 1994 when it was that low. During the first Gulf War it dropped under $0.90, I immediatly put my 1979 Silverado pickup in the paper, sure don't miss that 12 miles to the gallon land yacht! Still, it was a shock to put $20 in my motorcycle tank back in 2007, just something that is not quite right about that!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Stearmen said:
Still, it was a shock to put $20 in my motorcycle tank back in 2007, just something that is not quite right about that!

First time I put more than $20 worth of fuel into my motorcycle tank was in France, in 1991. IT was a five gallon tank, so less than five gallons. Yeah, it was a bit hard to accept!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner