Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does Indiana Jones wear a leather jacket in the dessert?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Has anyone here seen an oldschool 80s LOW LOW LOW budget Film called; Mark of the Scorpion! :peace:

(Its a total Raiders Rip-off but done so low Budget that it Makes me nostalgic for the days when a movie could inspire you so much that even if you never made one in your life you could still have a crack at it. Just like underground comics used to be, I love cheap stuff!)

Last edited:
First hour is good. I enjoyed the campus motorcycle chase (that started with the greasers vs. jocks fight, so that can't be a bad thing), Peruvian graveyard part is really good, too, (heck, I even enjoyed the atom bomb test site scene, yes, the one with the refrigerator and all) and the story kept me interested up until the part rubber snake part which is the moment the movie turns into something very nasty. Nothing makes any sense after that scene, just that stupid pointless CGI cartoon jungle chance and after that I honestly had no idea what was going at the end, even though I've seen the movie three times. They even recycled the Ark theme for the 'flying saucer' scene.

thor

Call Me a Cab
When do we forgive the living for the sins of their ancestors? 50, 70, 100, 200, 500, maybe 1000 years if that rings a bell!

There are so many uplifting stories of veterans of WWII who meet their former enemies years later at reunions or commemorative events and talk to one another and share their stories. It was great to hear of Marines and Japanese veterans of the battle of Iwo Jima meeting up and bonding over shared experiences as well as acknowledging the mutual horrors they faced in their youth. Not everyone can move past their anger, hate and grief. When those who lived through WWII can forgive their former enemy, who am I to retain a hate or mistrust for a nation or a people?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
There are so many uplifting stories of veterans of WWII who meet their former enemies years later at reunions or commemorative events and talk to one another and share their stories. It was great to hear of Marines and Japanese veterans of the battle of Iwo Jima meeting up and bonding over shared experiences as well as acknowledging the mutual horrors they faced in their youth. Not everyone can move past their anger, hate and grief. When those who lived through WWII can forgive their former enemy, who am I to retain a hate or mistrust for a nation or a people?

That's a fair point.
Although you could argue that those POW's murdered on the Bataan Death March, the B-29 crew used for vivisection at Kyushu Medical University, or those gassed by the Nazis aren't really in a position to meet up with old enemies and forgive, are they?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
So I am joining this discussion a bit late......

I agree with Dumpster Diver, I do not count Crystal Skull as a real Indy movie at all. Dr Jones should be tied to ancient religious relics, not some Alien shaped crystal skulls and UFOs. The other huge mistake of the movie was casting Shia LaBeouf as junior-junior, he just doesn't cut it. The interesting thing is, if they tried to replace the Nazis with the Russians, why not bring the communist Chinese in? That would be far more interesting if you see a young Mao trying to get a share of the supernatural artefacts?

P.S. As much as I like Magnum PI himself, I think Tom is just Tom, if it was him playing Indy, it would just be another Tom Selleck adventure movie, and most likely there would only be one movie with no sequels.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
So I am joining this discussion a bit late......

I agree with Dumpster Diver, I do not count Crystal Skull as a real Indy movie at all. Dr Jones should be tied to ancient religious relics, not some Alien shaped crystal skulls and UFOs. The other huge mistake of the movie was casting Shia LaBeouf as junior-junior, he just doesn't cut it. The interesting thing is, if they tried to replace the Nazis with the Russians, why not bring the communist Chinese in? That would be far more interesting if you see a young Mao trying to get a share of the supernatural artefacts?

P.S. As much as I like Magnum PI himself, I think Tom is just Tom, if it was him playing Indy, it would just be another Tom Selleck adventure movie, and most likely there would only be one movie with no sequels.

I agree.
Raiders made us suspend our disbelief in an Old Testament God that punished nazis. So far, so good. I can roll with that.
But then to bring aliens into it? How does Old Testament God feel about that? Jumping the shark.

I agree.
Raiders made us suspend our disbelief in an Old Testament God that punished nazis. So far, so good. I can roll with that.
But then to bring aliens into it? How does Old Testament God feel about that? Jumping the shark.

You mean, nuking the fridge? :D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You mean, nuking the fridge? :D

Yeah, I forgot the fridge because the introduction of aliens disturbs my suspension of disbelief in the Indy 'universe' so much that I walked out at the end and said the wife 'That was a load of cr*p'. I actually felt dirty for having wasted my money going to see it, and felt embarrassed by the whole sorry spectacle. I'd have preferred it if they'd gone along more 'Boys From Brazil' lines and had Old Indy head to Argentina to hunt down Nazis living in exile as a secret occult coven with some ancient McGubbin attempting to bring Hitler back from the spirit world.
I could have believed that!

thor

Call Me a Cab
That's a fair point.
Although you could argue that those POW's murdered on the Bataan Death March, the B-29 crew used for vivisection at Kyushu Medical University, or those gassed by the Nazis aren't really in a position to meet up with old enemies and forgive, are they?

I hear ya Big J. And if one believes in an afterlife, there will come a reckoning for all that we have done.
Not to get all theological on the subject :)
We were talking about Indiana Jones and got off on a tangent.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I suspect Spielberg found his old copy of Chariots of the Gods. Once a hippy, always a hippy...:D

More likely to be Lucas' fault - George's the one with the Joseph Campbell obsession which he turned into Star Wars; and he's the one with the penchant for grotesquely derivative mysticism and cod spirituality. Apart from that I like him a lot. ;)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I hear ya Big J. And if one believes in an afterlife, there will come a reckoning for all that we have done.
Not to get all theological on the subject :)
We were talking about Indiana Jones and got off on a tangent.

This is true Thor.

Stand By

One Too Many
Yeah, I forgot the fridge because the introduction of aliens disturbs my suspension of disbelief in the Indy 'universe' so much that I walked out at the end and said the wife 'That was a load of cr*p'. I actually felt dirty for having wasted my money going to see it, and felt embarrassed by the whole sorry spectacle. I'd have preferred it if they'd gone along more 'Boys From Brazil' lines and had Old Indy head to Argentina to hunt down Nazis living in exile as a secret occult coven with some ancient McGubbin attempting to bring Hitler back from the spirit world.
I could have believed that!

Man, that's not a bad first idea of a plot to have worked with! Better than what they did (it was all downhill after the fridge for me… it was sad to see).
Mind you, it can't have been a completely empty and worthless film 'cos do you remember how it rankled and upset the Russians at the time of release? They were really miffed at how they were portrayed as being adversarial and aggressive (LOL! I know. Must have come from their Ministry of Propaganda) and demanded an apology. As if.

Otter

One Too Many
I did like that whole fridge bit. It even prompted my 12 year old daughter to ask me if they had tested nukes that way . <Takes deep breath in preparation for in depth discussion on weapon effects tests, thinks better and> "Yes dear".

Stand By

One Too Many
I really liked the fridge scene - it had that black comedic element mixed in with the sheer high drama … hey, just like the Mercedes badge scene! Say, you don't think there was any deeper meaning in him coming out of the fridge do you?

PS. Ohhh… maybe it was a reference to the COLD war !!! Badumm! Tsss! Thank youuuu. I'll be here all week.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Man, that's not a bad first idea of a plot to have worked with! Better than what they did (it was all downhill after the fridge for me… it was sad to see).
Mind you, it can't have been a completely empty and worthless film 'cos do you remember how it rankled and upset the Russians at the time of release? They were really miffed at how they were portrayed as being adversarial and aggressive (LOL! I know. Must have come from their Ministry of Propaganda) and demanded an apology. As if.

Ah! So THAT'S what the Russians were upset about!
At the time I saw a headline that said the Russians were upset about the new Indy film, and just thought 'yeah, they want they're money back because it was so terrible', just like I did.

Stand By

One Too Many
Ah! So THAT'S what the Russians were upset about!
At the time I saw a headline that said the Russians were upset about the new Indy film, and just thought 'yeah, they want they're money back because it was so terrible', just like I did.

Oh yes. Get a load of what they said - just 6 days after the film was released! You couldn't make it up.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7418727.stm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy