Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Buy A Vanson?

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I just purchased two new Vansons. One Enfield, which I had the gun pocket added, and a CHP both in competition weight leather. Man, that is some stiff leather. Surprisingly enough, the Enfield is heavier than the CHP, go figure. I'm looking forward to breaking these bad boys in.

The build quality as well as the leather quality seem excellent, you really can't go wrong with Vanson.

One thing I noticed is that the sleeves seem too long, but as I'm wearing them more they are not long. They are the proper size when I reach the steering wheel. Makes sense for bike riders.
IMG_5489.jpeg IMG_5490.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,033

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The mismatching pisses me off if the jacket is left unsymmetrical. I don't mind if front panels don't match the sleeves, or back panel and yoke are different. However, sleeves must match each other. Front left and right panels must match. Cuffs must match each other. Etc. If it's a hodgepodge of bits it looks sloppy and incompetent.
I don’t go quite this far but I do know what you mean. I had a Cockpit G-1 where the bottom sleeve panel on one side was much thinner than the other side. Now I know that it’s a goatskin jacket and it will probably outlast me, but that thinner panel always bothered me until I finally moved the jacket on

Rich22

Practically Family
I don’t go quite this far but I do know what you mean. I had a Cockpit G-1 where the bottom sleeve panel on one side was much thinner than the other side. Now I know that it’s a goatskin jacket and it will probably outlast me, but that thinner panel always bothered me until I finally moved the jacket on
The first time I really noticed it was one particular jacket, from a maker that shall remain nameless, where the underarm sleeve panel on the left side was a MUCH lighter shade than the rest of the jacket. It was an eBay bargain and I knew what I was getting, but how it passed QC I have no idea. If they'd used the random off-cut that one panel came from on both sides, which must have been doable, then it wouldn't have looked incongruous. Might even have looked pretty cool.

Since then I've had an eagle eye for it, and have seen countless examples that offended my sensibilities. :eek:

Rich22

Practically Family
Vanson have been in desperate need of a upgrade to their website for ages. They could also do with hiring some models and conducting a professional photoshoot... It seems peculiar to me how the majority of companies we talk about here haven't made the effort to produce some kick ass photography to display their wares.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I just purchased two new Vansons. One Enfield, which I had the gun pocket added, and a CHP both in competition weight leather. Man, that is some stiff leather. Surprisingly enough, the Enfield is heavier than the CHP, go figure. I'm looking forward to breaking these bad boys in.

The build quality as well as the leather quality seem excellent, you really can't go wrong with Vanson.

One thing I noticed is that the sleeves seem too long, but as I'm wearing them more they are not long. They are the proper size when I reach the steering wheel. Makes sense for bike riders.
View attachment 365451 View attachment 365452

Two excellent jackets you got there. And what a cool move to add a gun pocket to the Enfield. Have fun breaking these in! It'll take forever, but it will be well worth it in the end.

For any folks in smaller sizes (34-38), there are some seriously amazing vintage Vansons on Japanese auction proxy sites (Buyee/Zenmarket), for pretty good prices (anywhere between 200 and 350 euros + roughly 50 euros shipping & auction fees). Some very good size 40 jackets on there as well, I scored a beautiful C2 a couple years back for 165 euros. Insane. It gets more difficult from size 42 onwards, though. Still worth a look.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Two excellent jackets you got there. And what a cool move to add a gun pocket to the Enfield. Have fun breaking these in! It'll take forever, but it will be well worth it in the end.

For any folks in smaller sizes (34-38), there are some seriously amazing vintage Vansons on Japanese auction proxy sites (Buyee/Zenmarket), for pretty good prices (anywhere between 200 and 350 euros + roughly 50 euros shipping & auction fees). Some very good size 40 jackets on there as well, I scored a beautiful C2 a couple years back for 165 euros. Insane. It gets more difficult from size 42 onwards, though. Still worth a look.

I hear you with the smaller sizes. I searched the classifieds for some size 48 and there is very little. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get them. One interesting note is that the Enfield in Comp. weight is much heavier than the CHP2.

As for breaking them in, it's going to take a while. At this time, if I sit down, the whole jacket (either one of them) just rides up like a bucking horse!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As for breaking them in, it's going to take a while. At this time, if I sit down, the whole jacket (either one of them) just rides up like a bucking horse!
I remember that feeling, I experienced it with all of my Vansons when they were new. They would ride up right into my neck with enough force to cut off oxygen to the brain, sort of a comp. weight chokehold. Fortunately this phase passes quickly with a bit of regular wear.

Over delivering is a good thing, but dodging a $10k bill for a photo shoot at the expense of sales/perceived value/reputation is a weird decision, in my mind.
It’s not even that hard. Look at the Bansons on this board. They sell me on their jackets (I’m already sold tbh) 10x over what’s on their site. Same with JL. They have been revamping their site for at least 6 years. There’s nothing there. I suppose IG is kind of filling the gap? But my IG is so cluttered with crap I often quit the app before I see anything relevant. Or I just go right to shithead Steve.

brokenglass

Familiar Face
Well I'm convinced, this thing is on it's way.

I believe it's a Raid rather than Raider which has a shorter front and extended lower back. The Arrow in the current lineup is it's successor.

One missing under lapel snap which will be an easy fix. Also I see buttons (not snaps) around the underside of the collar, throat latch? Previous owner says he bought it new 28 years ago in Tokyo. Old comp weight? Talon zips all around. Will report back when it has arrived.

It arrived and I've had a few days with it. It's about as heavy as, but movement is way easier than, I imagined. Its in beautiful shape and I really think its one of the best looking and most functioning cross zips. Throat latch came in one of the pockets too. It's everything I thought it would be and more...about an inch more. Were only my limbs a bit longer. It may end up for sale, size 36. Will post in the appropriate place if I decide to let it go.

brokenglass

Familiar Face
...sure (pic heavy post)
my phone isn't quite doing the jacket justice, it is several years old and the lens is full of crud, but it's all I got

1990's made Competition Weight Raid.

As I said, great shape.
-The leather is supple and the grain / panel selection was obviously done very carefully. It's not dry but could be dressed for the better I think. It will stand nearly erect on it's own!
-Zippers and pulls all in tact and working nicely.
-See the serial stamped on the interior chest pocket. Other interior pocket is a roomy, leather lined gun pocket with a snap closer.
-The snap pocket on the front is one of my favorite things (along with the lack of belt and hidden snaps) about the jacket. Placed really well and very easily accessed with good amount of storage capacity.
-Zipped handwarmer pockets are also well placed and plenty deep. I really appreciate that they're double welted
-Sleeves taper to a nice, snug but not tight, opening when zipped. The gusset functions well and you don't feel it at all, no bother there.

As noted earlier, one broken snap. A small amount of pilling on the lining near the bottom of the back.

Sz 36 and roughly measures
Chest 21”
Shoulders 18”
Sleeve 24”
Back Length 25"

Last edited:

f2002q

One of the Regulars

As I said, great shape.
-The leather is supple and the grain / panel selection was obviously done very carefully. It's not dry but could be dressed for the better I think. It will stand nearly erect on it's own!
-See the serial stamped on the interior chest pocket. Other interior pocket is a roomy, leather lined gun pocket with a snap closer.
-The snap pocket on the front is one of my favorite things (along with the lack of belt and hidden snaps) about the jacket. Placed really well and very easily accessed with good amount of storage capacity.
-Zipped handwarmer pockets are also well placed and plenty deep. I really appreciate that they're double welted
-Sleeves taper to a nice, snug but not tight, opening when zipped. The gusset functions well and you don't feel it at all, no bother there.

"

That jacket looks awesome for the age. Congratulations on such a find. I hope my Vansons look this good when they get to be that old.

Rich22

Practically Family
...sure (pic heavy post)
my phone isn't quite doing the jacket justice, it is several years old and the lens is full of crud, but it's all I got

As I said, great shape.

As noted earlier, one broken snap. A small amount of pilling on the lining near the bottom of the back.

Sz 36 and roughly measures
Chest 21”
Shoulders 18”
Sleeve 24”
Back Length 25"
I love the design of this jacket. You don't see many D-pockets like that. So many nice details all come together brilliantly! Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the handwarmer pockets being 'double welted' as opposed to just welted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ