Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wild Fuzzy Stetson... 1970s? Guess Again!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to jump on this one, even though I've managed to stay away from the Bay for a while.

It's brown and it's really fuzzy, almost Huggy Bear fuzzy, but I did a double-take when I saw the logo on the liner and the sweat. Not 1970s at all, but what do you think, maybe 1920s?

Take a look...

StetsonFuzzy1920s09.jpg

Brim is 2-3/8", crown is about 5-1/2" or so.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That was you? I'd been watching it; put in a bid. Glad it went to a good home.
It's a great looking hat.
How's the moth damage?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Also, as far as the date goes, '20s sounds right, but I've never seen a sweat quite like that. Maybe early '20s? Can I get a second, or a "you're completely wrong"?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
1920's - maybe earlier? It seems like a transitional hat between those late-Victorian jobs and the true Fedora...

When did Stetson start in business?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
How ever did I miss that one? Tony, your hat is vintage 1920's for sure. That is one nice hat! When you decide to sell your collection, please let me know especialy the Mossant hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Tony in Tarzana

Oh, this one's a keeper for sure.

So you all think it's really from the 1920s? The sweatband shows no wear whatsoever after 80+ years. I will apply some Lexol before I wear it, though, to be safe. The moth nibbles are minimal, no holes and only a few tiny spots where the nap is gone.

I used a snipe program, and it entered my maximum bid exactly 1 second ahead of another bidder who bid the same amount. A real stroke of luck. It's funny how those things work out sometimes.

DOUGLAS

Congrats Tony that is a beauty.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap you have a great eye for quality my good man!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My bet is that it's earlier than the '20s. Jamespowers, wouldn't you agree? We've both seen that liner logo before: I used to think it was on Stetson's '20s hats, but Jamespowers leaned more towards the World War I era -- and I think he's right.

Jay

Practically Family
Nice hat, Tony. It has that cool, pre-30s... what does one call it? boxy look to it. Oh hell, I'll say transitional look like someone else did. Whatever, the hat is still awesome!

Tony in Tarzana

I think the "transitional" look comes about because I was playing around with the very soft brim and tried a Homburg-like dip in the front and back. That, along with a center dent in the crown with no side dents really brought out the '20s look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21