Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will jeans be going out of fashion?

shortbow

Practically Family
After a fedora, my best clothing discovery, a few years ago, is that jeans are uncomfortable and that khakis are not. And that goes for work, riding horses and motorcycles, canoing, hunting et al, as well as for attire in more polite company.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I swapped jeans with black non-iron trousers in winter and khakis in summer last year for three reasons:

1. Jeans fade at the knees over time, whereas my khakis and black trousers have remained the same colour all over.
2. Everyone wears jeans so trousers make you more unique, without completely sticking out.
3. No film noir actor wears jeans and I base my looks on them.

So now it's trousers, shirt, leather jacket and fedora for everyday wear and suit and fedora for anything more than important.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I teach undergrad and grad college students. I have seen a slight decline in their use in the past 6-8 years. Now about 10-20% more of the young men are wearing casual pant alternatives (like casual cords, etc.) than I saw in the 1990s. I guess the decline of the ubiquitious "jeans, flannel shirt, goatee" look of the early and mid-1990s might have something to do with it.

I've just never found them to be comfortable. Too restrictive compared a pair of casual khakis, and much less practical than heavy cotton work pants with extra pockets/BDUs. In the wilderness if cold and wet weather are possibilities jeans are not practical, and if conditions are cold and wet enough a death sentence. I've just not seen what they are good for... That's just my view.

Geesie

Practically Family
rebelwithoutacause5.jpg

nuff said

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have worn jeans my whole life. Aside from once in the late '70s when I succumbed and bought a pair of designer (Sasson?) jeans, I have always worn either Levis, Lee, or Wrangler. I think once I ordered a coupla pairs from Sheplers, but theyve all been tradtionally styled jeans.

My current favorites are the <$20 Wrangler 'Boot Fit' jeans I bought at Walmart a few years ago. Wrangler boot fit are not like Levi 'Boot Cut,' however. The Ws are a nice relaxed fit, whereas the Ls are cut very snug for any given size.

Due to the nature of my job, I wear sweats most of the day. When I'm not at work, I wear jeans. To me, they look good with a t-shirt, or with a dress shirt, tie, and vest, and a pair of casual wing tips.

I have suits, and a tux, for when they are needed. I also have 'dress' trousers with pleated waists, slant pockets, and cuffed bottoms that I love.

For me, basic jeans, though, will never go out of style.

dr greg

One Too Many
horse course

There was an ad a while back for Rolling Rock I think it was that showed a bunch of 1930's miners dressed all in denim, a great look, but the function was the thing, when I worked in demolition and was crawling around in rubble-filled lift shafts and the like I wore tight Levi jeans and jackets, much better than overalls because you were less likely to get jagged on stuff when you might want to get out of the way of some falling masonry in a hurry, I'd then take off the hardhat put on the fedora and go down to the pub, and not be outa place, I've been wearing jeans for 50 years at least, and will till I die in the correct situation as I see it, some of this distressed rubbish they wear now will be forgotten in a year, but basic good label denim will outlive us all.

just_me

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
I have worn jeans my whole life. Aside from once in the late '70s when I succumbed and bought a pair of designer (Sasson?) jeans, I have always worn either Levis, Lee, or Wrangler. I think once I ordered a coupla pairs from Sheplers, but theyve all been tradtionally styled jeans.

When I'm not at work, I wear jeans. To me, they look good with a t-shirt, or with a dress shirt, tie, and vest, and a pair of casual wing tips.

For me, basic jeans, though, will never go out of style.
Me too. I was a tomboy and it was hard to find jeans for girls when I was little, so my mother bought me boys' jeans. I have always worn jeans (dungarees as we called them when I was growing up) and I still wear them (usually Lee) daily to work and to do most everything else. (One thing I don't wear them for is riding. I have to wear riding breeches for that.)

As scottyrocks said, you can wear jeans with all manner of shirts and accessories.

I have regular slacks, dress slacks, and business suits, but jeans are my favorite. I don't think they will ever go out of style.

Oh, BTW, I had one pair of designer jeans back in the late 70s. A boyfriend talked me into buying them. lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Here in No. Calif...

I am so sick and tired of seeing designer jeans. What happened to "basic" jeans anyway- especially on the MEN! Seems like the males out here are even more into the $$$ designer jeans than the females are. Its so much so that its become commonplace and thereby BORING...mooo. Almost as bad as females in sweats with logos on the butt and the requisite UGGS look.

Hey I did the Wrangler and Lee jeans back in my "cowgirl/western dancing" phase- a lifetime ago. Thankfully that bit of bad fashion for me passed quickly. These days I'd rather be dressed in one of my evening gowns dancing to a foxtrot or waltz instead!

I personally dislike wearing jeans, as I can never find a pair that fit well- plus I can't stand low rise! Does low rise look "good" on anyone- really? Other than very very rarely with a colorful basic Gap t-shirt I try to avoid jeans as part of my wardrobe choices.

I'd much rather wear one of my pairs of wool or linen RL high waist classic trousers paired with a blouse, or more often than not, a blouse with skirt combo instead.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Very interesting article...although I do drive a Land Rover to the grocery store. It's my daily driver...

Where on the styleforum??? I do love a good discussion...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Let's Face it

I think Blue Jeans are above and beyond fashion.

They have become part of culture.

What's the use of denying it? [huh] Some things were meant to be! :)

just_me

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
I think Blue Jeans are above and beyond fashion.

They have become part of cuture.

What's the use of denying it? [huh] Some things were meant to be! :)
You are absolutely correct. :)

just_me

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
Yes :D

I meant culture instead of cuture ... but its both really, culture and cuture, come to think of it! ;) :)

They are not going away any time soon me thinks![huh]
DOH!! Funnily enough, I read it as culture. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24