Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will jeans be going out of fashion?

Denim is a versitile fabric coming from the work clothes area. I wear jeans mostly on yard work days as I consider them to be work clothes. Jeans however continue because most people feel that they are comfy and if sized right, look good as general every day pants.

It's been awhile since the likes of Gloria Vanderbuilt and others were able to launch the concept of "dress jeans" but that was a tremendous step in bringing jeans into the everyday world. Such concepts that really make such a large difference in the everyday fashionable wearing habits of so many people just don't pop up frequently.

Utility pants like those based on the more modern BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform) are worn a lot too, they come from the military and were then seen as great outdoors and camping wear which morphed into a type of everyday and travel / excursion wear. Cargo pockets on pants just don't dress up well most of the time, but it's nice to be able to put a bunch of stuff in them if you need to.

Spandex berkahs next.

just_me said:
It's time should be over. Hmmm. Why? Because you think so?

And how do you correlate liking to wear jeans with wanting to be rebellious? If there is a style that is not currently rebellious, it's jeans. lol Pretty presumptuous of you.

First, that is usually how opinions work. I don't have any hard data to support my opinion except that I liked George Will's editorial in the Washington Post about jeans. I didn't know that everytime someone states an opinion that have to cite hard data to back up their opinion.

Last point, false, people wearing jeans to business meetings or in the corporate sphere is infantile. Grow up.

Jeans are everywhere and now they are making inroads in corporate America. It is inappropriate and I don't like it. Grow up.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Son_of_Atropos said:
First, that is usually how opinions work. I don't have any hard data to support my opinion except that I liked George Will's editorial in the Washington Post about jeans. I didn't know that everytime someone states an opinion that have to cite hard data to back up their opinion.

Last point, false, people wearing jeans to business meetings or in the corporate sphere is infantile. Grow up.

Jeans are everywhere and now they are making inroads in corporate America. It is inappropriate and I don't like it. Grow up.

I am truly trying to understand your position. By infantile do you mean this:
KH_Infant_greaser.jpg

Corporate "America" decided to have something called "casual Friday", for example, so by default "corporate America" supports jeans at work. Perhaps you are correct and "corporate America" does not have meetings on those designated "casual" days because people mey wear jeans. lol lol lol

Honestly, though, I have never seen an infant actually take part in a business meeting. I have seen them there though. :eusa_doh:

You confuse me so much...I think perhaps you presume too much. [huh]

just_me

Practically Family
Son_of_Atropos said:

Yes, that IS how opinions work. You would do well to remember that. You were the one who asked HadleyH what her credentials were when she mentioned an opinion about the WSJ.

If you mean to grow up like you - smug, smarmy, narrow-minded, and presumptuous, I'd rather stay as I am. :rolleyes:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK. Everyone back in your respective corners.

Let's all catch our breath and remember to debate the issues and not the person.

Unfortunately, any personal attacks after this post will be deleted at the bar's discretion. [bad]

just_me

Practically Family
Jeans will not be going out of fashion anytime soon. They can co-exist with other styles and probably always will. IMHO. :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:

Let's all catch our breath and remember to debate the issues and not the person.

Unfortunately, any personal attacks after this post will be deleted at the bar's discretion. [bad]

I agree Hemingway...I thought this was all "tongue in cheek"...;) ;) ;)

I think jeans are here to stay and I wear them often. Most of the time I wear them to meetings and sometimes to do outside work. :)

I even like songs that mention bell bottoms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzlJe9_AxM lol lol lol

Hemingway Jones said:

This thread showcases how poor a medium the internet is for any type of debate.

I never had any rancor in my words.

Since brevity is the soul of wit. I will just state that jeans have no business in the corporate setting but if you want to wear them casually, go ahead. I think jeans are overrated and mundane.

I'm not coming back to this thread, so... later.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
No time...

...soon I'm sure. Jeans seem to be building up their own entrenched bureaucracy.

I didn't own a pair for years. I thought they were hot in the summer and cold in the winter. My wife and daughter very much prefer I wear them at certain times, so I do and have several pair these days.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I think people can take things to an extreme, as people I know personally pay 300+ dollars at local boutiques for a pair of pre-worn jeans that will last maybe 20 washes.

But, I do love me some dark boot-cut jeans for when I'm out and about. On principle, I've never paid more than 35-40 dollars (whatever the price most levis cost) for a pair...many of them have lasted since I've bought them many years ago, if I can still fit in them. :p

Drew B

One of the Regulars
mm i think jeans will be around for a long time.

They are versitile in that they can be worn to almost any type of work (dress code permitting), they can be made to look quiet smart too. They are fuctional in that a good pair is rugged, and protective. And on top of this, they have since their inception been re-cut to fit almost any style, sub-culture or purpose.

I love a good pair of jeans and always will.

just my thoughts.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Macheath said:

:eusa_doh: "Denim is the infantile uniform of a nation in which entertainment frequently features childlike adults ("Seinfeld," "Two and a Half Men") and cartoons for adults ("King of the Hill"). Seventy-five percent of American "gamers" -- people who play video games -- are older than 18 and nevertheless are allowed to vote."

Oh yeah, just because you like sitcoms or video games, you are an infantile idiot who doesn't know a thing about anything:rolleyes:

It just so easy to generalise everything:rage:

On topic: No, jeans will not go out of fashion..just take a look on the streets.
Although sweetpants and tracksuits could take over from what I see around here;)

Macheath

One of the Regulars
"Denim is the infantile uniform of a nation in which entertainment frequently features childlike adults ("Seinfeld," "Two and a Half Men") and cartoons for adults ("King of the Hill"). Seventy-five percent of American "gamers" -- people who play video games -- are older than 18 and nevertheless are allowed to vote."

Luke 42 said:
Oh yeah, just because you like sitcoms or video games, you are an infantile idiot who doesn't know a thing about anything:rolleyes:

It just so easy to generalise everything:rage:

I'd like to think it was tongue-in-cheek, but maybe he was serious [huh] :rolleyes:

In any case, no one said he was going to be fair. Or entirely reasonable. Holding everyone to the Astaire/Kelly standard is nothing short of delusional. :eusa_doh: :)

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
Oh - and there are only two acceptable brands: Levis and Lee.

Really? I love levi's but I'm always disapointed with lee's because I always rip Lees. And I'm probably not too hard on them since I have the same daily routine when I wear jeans as when I wear nice slacks.

alden405

A-List Customer
Im a big fan of the LVC stuff

general opinion of the working cowboys and jackeroos i know is that Wrangler ride best with a higher waist and higher butt pockets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy