Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will jeans be going out of fashion?

Warbaby

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Jeans, like Rock N Roll while never die.

No truer words were ever spoken. Jeans have always transcended fashion. They simply are, and always will be.

Oh - and there are only two acceptable brands: Levis and Lee. All those overpriced designer jeans are yuppie poser pants and while they may, in some unfathomable way, be related to fashion, they are an abomination in the eyes of all persons of discriminating taste, and will hopefully pass into the darkest pits of design hell, their memory relegated to the aesthetic wasteland of polyester disco shirts and pastel golf trousers. And crocs.

Warbaby said:
No truer words were ever spoken. Jeans have always transcended fashion. They simply are, and always will be.

Oh - and there are only two acceptable brands: Levis and Lee.
I was partial to Sears brand Roebucks but they are gone out here. Wranglers were pretty good also. My last few sets of jeans were from Cabelas and also Carhart.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing khakies and dockers for so lang now, that my wife actually asked me the other evening - before going out to a dinnerparty:
"Why don't you wear your ol' levis with the white shirt and the navy blazer?"
I did.
Felt great!

The real jeans will never die.
Designerjeans will.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MudInYerEye said:
It was around long before any of us were born and will be around long after we are gone. Get off of your high-horses and get used to it.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't look like a "slob" in jeans, either. For one, I'm *not* a "slob", and for two, they look good on my figure and they are nice and comfy. I like to wear girl-cut T-shirts with them (HORROR). I look very good in such an outfit.

I would feel so silly if I got "dressed up" to run errands and go grocery shopping.

I don't see jeans going anywhere in these parts. To be quite honest, I don't usually notice what others are wearing because I have more important things to think about.

Ying Ko

New in Town
JEANS ARE LIKE WEARING A JOURNAL....

...of your life. At least, the pairs you buy raw and wear in yourself. In that sense, I don't see jeans going anywhere. They represent the American personality. All those wear marks, holes, cat's whiskers, etc, unapologetically reflect and convey everything you've experienced in your life, or, at the very least, the life you've led while wearing your jeans, without hiding a single thing. The time you got arrested trying to climb over the fence at the city zoo because, in your drunken stupor, you thought you'd do the right thing and free all of the peacocks in the bird house? That's the hole towards the bottom of the left pant leg.

Your life experiences are nothing to be ashamed of, and a pair of jeans will tell that to the world.

Unfortunately, today we live in a much faster world where no one has the time to wear in their own jeans, so we buy them pre-faded, pre-distressed. Well, not all of us. Some of us still buy our jeans raw and break them in on our own.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dressing down

DerMann said:
For me, I will always associate jeans with miners, cowboys, and labourers. I cannot bear to see "dressed up" jeans with a sportsjacket, as it doesn't so much dress the jeans up as it dresses the jacket down. Jeans can go on serving their purpose, but they needn't creep into the fashion world, or worse, become an accepted style.

Thank you, kindly! I wore jeans for that "casual look" for about twenty years. Gave them up about 5 years ago. They were designed for labor, not fashion.

Feraud

Bartender
I picked up a Japanese magazine this weekend that featured vintage repro denim. Unfortunately I could not read a word of it. Based on the pictures and my active imagination, I would say denim holds a solid place in the world closet.

Having been a working cowboy, I have to say to do the work I wore nothing but Wranglers - they get the job done. However, when I was flush and could afford it I'd spring for some cotton duck pants by Wah Maker that have no hip pockets, and are built to wear suspenders with.

But I admit that when I went to town, I dressed up - suit and tie was the game.

nowdays seems like folks'll wear dungarees or jeans even in the finest restaurants - can't figure that one out

Jerekson

One Too Many
I certainly hope so. If I have one more person tell me "we need to get you a pair of jeans", I'm going to do something irrational.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jeans were worn in the Golden Era. Bogart looked cool in his high rises in "To Have & Have Not."

I have seen French and Italian men in jeans that look much dressier than some corresponding men in the street here in the US who are wearing suits. That can be evidenced by posts on The Sartorialist.

As for me, it's all about the individual and their sense of style. I wouldn't rule anything out; always give yourself room to evolve. A myopic world view is so limiting, inherently.

grant

Familiar Face
I'll never stop wearing denim work wear - at least as long as they continue to make decent reproductions of the classic Lee or Levi's jeans since I can't afford or find vintage denim in my sizes. Here's a photo of a pair of well worn LVC Japan reproductions of the 1955 501XX with an original studded belt from the 50's. Grant
55501.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran