Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Powell and Myrna Loy DVD set

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Warner Home Video has finally announced the long-awaited DVD set of William Powell's and Myrna Loy's non-Thin Man films!

The set, being released on August 7th, will contain Double Wedding, Evelyn Prentice, Love Crazy, Manhattan Melodrama, and my favorite, I Love You Again.

Warner is also releasing on that day the last five Thin Man films as DVD singles.

Brad

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is very good news, indeed. I haven't seen any of these films, so I am excited to see them. Hopefully, they will be remastered. Amanda tells me that Love Crazy is excellent.

As an aside, I watched Double Harness again last night. I do enjoy William Powell. I even picked up The Kennel Murder Case, which I enjoyed very much although the print is absolutely terrible.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is great news. I just love both William Powell and Myrna Loy. I just finally got my own Thin Man box set, since HJ is moving out and I'll no longer have access to all of his DVD's:( I've got a lot of shopping to do at DeepDiscountDVD!!

Flivver

Practically Family
Thanks Brad. This is definetly a set I need to get. I haven't seen any of these movies and I'm a big fan of both Powell and Loy.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Awesome news! There's no way I'll be able to resist this! :) I've been hoping for this for the longest time.Can't wait 'til it's available for pre-order! :eusa_clap

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
That is great news. I just love both William Powell and Myrna Loy. I just finally got my own Thin Man box set, since HJ is moving out and I'll no longer have access to all of his DVD's:( I've got a lot of shopping to do at DeepDiscountDVD!!

Two words:

DVD Burner.

The set looks good. Just don't watch Manhatten Melodrama with a lady in red.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I can't wait to get them. William Powell and Myrna Loy are one of my all time favorite Golden Era couples. The chemistry between them in the movies is wonderful! :eusa_clap

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I have been waiting for this. I already have those on tape but I'll probably get the DVDs as well.
I hope a box set is produced of Powell's Philo Vance movies or some of his silents.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Daisy Buchanan

jake_fink said:
Two words:

DVD Burner.

The set looks good. Just don't watch Manhatten Melodrama with a lady in red.

You know, that's a great idea! With the low prices on electronics it's probably cheaper for me to buy a DVD burner and some bland DVD's than it would be to buy all the DVD's that I'll lose when HJ moves out. But, don't DVD's have a block or code on them so you can't burn them? I have a burner on my computers and have tried to copy some movies, but it never worked. But I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to break some special code. So, to avoid major annoyance and frustration, I should probably just go ahead and buy the movies.

Mike in Seattle

Hi Daisy -

Software to get around the protection schemes so you can "make backup copies of your DVD legally" is pretty easy to find on the net for both PC's and Mac's. I think, if I recall correctly, you use the latter. I have a couple programs to do that, but I haven't actually ever used one. I'm the PC guy in the household but the Mac-head's copied a couple things for one reason or another. Most of the DVD's I burn aren't copy-protected - usually shows friends are in that we tape (with permission of course) & then do DVD's for the cast. It's really pretty easy to do. Paul just got a LaCie Lightscribe burner for his Mac - $99 I think. Lightscribe's very cool - you buy special DVD's or CD's. They're slightly more, pricewise, than a plain DVD or CD. But once you've burned the music, movie or whatever, you flip it over in the drive and it burns the label side. I didn't think it was that big a deal when it came on my new laptop, but after I tried it the first time, it's really nifty. Gives you a very professional looking end-product, and with things like playlists from iTunes, you can have it import song titles, performers, times and burn that on the label side without having to retype everything. I did a music CD for a friend's birthday party with various favorite songs he's had over the years and the label had his baby picture at the top and then thumbnails of each album the favorite songs came from circling the rest of the disk.

Anyway - get a burner and start copying...I mean backing up ;) ...those DVD's!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Nathan Dodge said:
The Powell/Loy set is now up for pre-order on Amazon.com.

August can't get here soon enough! And for the caliber of films included in the set I thought the price was incredibly reasonable. Got it sooner than you could blink an eye!:)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
YAY!!!!

*Does Happy Dance*

Got the Thin Man box-set for Christmas, and now I know what to ask for for next Christmas!!! Yay-- can't wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR