Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis and Geiger A2`s

I understand Willis&Geiger were first contracted to make the A2 jacket,is this info I found correct?Are there re issue`s ok? Also the originals had silk or rayon lining am I correct? Thanks..

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bburtner@moran said:
I understand Willis&Geiger were first contracted to make the A2 jacket,is this info I found correct?Are there re issue`s ok? Also the originals had silk or rayon lining am I correct? Thanks..

Willis and Geiger actually never made an A2 during the 1930s or the war. They certainly made jackets for the navy, but not for the USAAF. Hell Bent for Leather makes the claim about W & G making A2s for the USAAF, but there is no evidence for this. W & G repro A2s, which were made from the 1980s, are OK, but not accurate copies of any original A2. Although the earliest A2s possibly had silk lining, more durable cotton lining was generally used. Sometimes Aces had red silk lining inserted in their A2s.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The silk liners in A-2s supposedly were spun silk, with a dull cotton-like finish. No info on color, but presumably in the brown or tan family. W&G liners are typically grey poly satin (not even rayon).

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
If you like oversized jackets, the newer Willis & Geiger A-2's are OK. I would estimate that you would have to downsize at least one size to get the fit of a WW2 A-2. Those jackets were my first A-2's, <sigh>, I eventually donated them to charity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff