Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis & Geiger A-2 horsehide; any good?

rainguy

New in Town
I have a W&G G-1 goat and love it; soft and supple leather, trim fit. But I know nothing about their A-2 horsehide, circa 1980s. What't the leather like? Anybody have one, or any info that provides some insight? I'm currently following a couple of them on eBay. Thanks, guys.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

The main thing that jumps out (to me, anyway) about the W&G A-2 is its satin lining, which is different from the cotton lining found in the more exact models. I had one, and I also recall that the horsehide was a little ...

... hard? It was a little too processed, or something. But the jacket fit well.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The HH on my Willis is very soft & pliable, BUT it's finished in greyish-brown acrylic with a plasticy sheen. This, and the satin liner, make it clammy to wear in any humidity.

I love the cut, tho. Very reminiscent of prewar A-2s, tho the hardware's wrong for that era.

Beware lamebrain eBay bidders on Willis items, BTW. The late Steve Irwin wore their bush poplins on Crocodile Hunter, and something of a cargo cult has arisen around W&G apparel as a result.

The jackets are in some demand as well, having been promoted in the 80s as the absolute zenith in authenticity (tho they're not). They also did styles like the A-1 and obscure Navy flight jackets (NA-1, M-421) that sold only in tiny quantities.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
rainguy said:
I have a W&G G-1 goat and love it; soft and supple leather, trim fit. But I know nothing about their A-2 horsehide, circa 1980s. What't the leather like? Anybody have one, or any info that provides some insight? I'm currently following a couple of them on eBay. Thanks, guys.

It really depends on what era of the 1980's that the jacket came from. I started collecting jackets, literature, and information on A-2's in the very early 1980's, owned a few Willis and Geiger jackets for personal use, and at one time signed up as a retailer and sold the jackets, before running across ELC and Clurman's Lost Worlds.

The small runs early-mid 1980's jackets made of horsehide with the SMALL zipper (as I remember it was a Talon) was a very good jacket in terms of quality, hide, cut, detail and label, save for the satin or rayon lining. If you can find one of these, even in the steerhide, buy it--they are good jackets.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the A-2 became very popular in the late 1980's (everyone HAD to have a "bomber" lacket) and W&G began to cut corners in terms of skin quality (lots of goatskin), and component accuracy, in terms of the knit and zippers. If you note, the later jackets have that hideous GIANT Scoville zipper, the knit that is not very accurate, and the "stand" collar looked like it was cut and sewn by a blind, palsied, drunk. Stitching quality, pocket detail and flap symentry is not as good as the early 1980's jackets either. Trying to sell the jackets became a chore when you could buy a better jacket at half the price. Oddly, at the end, even the Cooper and upper end AVIREX jackets (namely the "MacArthur Horesehide) surpassed the W&G in quality.

I'll look for my information I received from the rep who was based in Seattle at the time. As I rememnber, goat and steer jackets wholesaled for $195 and horse was $210 with a minimum order or 5 ietem of each style, with a minimum having to order 2 different style items (i.e. A-2, G-1. Bush Jackets, Trusers, etc).

As I remember, the most of the ones on eBay were odd sizes, mostly longs, purchase by one guy when W&G discontinued production and sold out to Lands End. It was sad to see a company turned around (almost refounded) and properly marketed (I can't remember the guy's name, but as I remember he was a Harvard MBA and a pilot), and then only to be sold out.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Juanito said:
As I remember, the most of the ones on eBay were odd sizes, mostly longs, purchase by one guy when W&G discontinued production and sold out to Lands End. It was sad to see a company turned around (almost refounded) and properly marketed (I can't remember the guy's name, but as I remember he was a Harvard MBA and a pilot), and then only to be sold out.

Ah, I remebered...Burt Avedon...

rainguy

New in Town
Juanito. Thanks for the detailed info, re W&G A-2s. I think the jacket I was bidding on was an early '80s; unfortunately I didn't get it but, thanks to your posting, I now have some benchmarks to look for in future listings.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Juanito said:
As I remember, the most of the ones on eBay were odd sizes, mostly longs, purchase by one guy when W&G discontinued production and sold out to Lands End.
Some W&G items, such as the NA-1 Bedford cord naval aviation jacket, only turn up in tall sizes. Is it possible they were only made in certain sizes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21