Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wind Flap Removal

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’m in the no flap camp. I get the purpose but don’t care for the aesthetic. I’ve not purchased jackets solely on them having a flap. My argument against removing is if (when) you decide to sell the jacket your “modification” will kill resale value.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
I grappled with it too, so it sat in the closet. Didn’t wear it once in 8 months, so I ended up moving it on. Beauty of a jacket.
It's my first Vanson and it is a beauty as well, it's my only wearable black jacket at this time so I have to deal with it, probably best I leave it for now like you advised.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
I’m in the no flap camp. I get the purpose but don’t care for the aesthetic. I’ve not purchased jackets solely on them having a flap. My argument against removing is if (when) you decide to sell the jacket your “modification” will kill resale value.
It's funny, in my mind I'm thinking no need to worry about resale as I will keep this jacket for life, I've felt this way before only I'd end up selling the jacket a couple of months later, lol

skybert

One of the Regulars
You're smart for asking first!

I actually did this on a vintage Enfield (I know, blasphemy). Turns out, it made the zipper "angly". More skewed than before I removed the windflap. It didn't look horrible, but I regretted the decision.

This was a 20+ year old jacket though, and I'm sure the zipper had followed the same pattern in the leather for a long long time, before I messed with it - I won't claim that it applies to all jackets with a windflap.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
You're smart for asking first!

I actually did this on a vintage Enfield (I know, blasphemy). Turns out, it made the zipper "angly". More skewed than before I removed the windflap. It didn't look horrible, but I regretted the decision.

This was a 20+ year old jacket though, and I'm sure the zipper had followed the same pattern in the leather for a long long time, before I messed with it - I won't claim that it applies to all jackets with a windflap.
I know I've messed with things and regretted it previously. Thanks for the tip.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
It worked out really well on my Bates, same model HM had. It’s funny because it did irritate me on that jacket but I like it on my WD and on my Vanson 9D. It’s a case by case thing for me but generally I would opt not to remove. It’s a fairly benign strip of leather that will drive symmetry purists insane.
I'll definitely take yours and the other gentlemans advice. This pursuit of style that I've embarked on lately; it surprises me how much I focus on details now. Matching colors, symmetry, balance, alterations, and the constant striving for perfect fit. My friends and family think I'm losing it or having an affair with a younger girl, after all I was a track pants sweatshirt kinda guy up until a couple of years ago lol. But there's something to it. Now I try on a couple of outfits before I go to the store for milk. Not sure I can put my finger on it, but I guess I'll just add the windflap to the list of style issues that are constantly keeping my grey matter firing on all cylinders.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
there are 2 different center zip with flap jacket concept:
1. the zip is centered and the flap is added
2. the zip is slightly off center and the closure is designed to be overlapping like single breasted jacket but with zipper instead of buttons and a flap as its true edge

no 1 case you can safely chop the flap off, no2 you can not since it will look off when worn unzipped

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
there are 2 different center zip with flap jacket concept:
1. the zip is centered and the flap is added
2. the zip is slightly off center and the closure is designed to be overlapping like single breasted jacket but with zipper instead of buttons and a flap as its true edge

no 1 case you can safely chop the flap off, no2 you can not since it will look off when worn unzipped
I think mine is a number 1. Good observation on your part, thanks

willyto

One Too Many
With
View attachment 472570
Without
View attachment 472569
It’s not as easy as on a Brooks. Schott, or Kehoe since it is all part of the piece of facing leather.
From my experience I would advise to go for it only if you have a clear vision that it’ll make you happier. If you have any hesitancy...hold off. Something like this can’t be undone in a way that will preserve the $$ if you ever sell it, and it costs you extra $$ at the tailor.
That one is just a dumb wind flap as it doesn't cover all the zipper

It actually made sense as the jacket had a 2-way zipper, and when you sit and unzipped the bottom it could flair a bit. The windflap 100% would mean the jacket wouldn’t lay right.

Flying Monkey

New in Town
Take some time to think about it. While you are doing that search out a tailor that specializes in leather. I can't emphasize that enough. If you go to a standard tailor, I think you will really regret it. Leather is a different kind of a thing. I generally leave my jackets as they were designed. If they don't please me for some reason, I usually move them on. It takes someone who has a strong understanding of leather to make alterations that you will end up liking. I don't post much, but I've been into the leather jacket thing for about 20 years now. I've made some bad mistakes along the way.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Take some time to think about it. While you are doing that search out a tailor that specializes in leather. I can't emphasize that enough. If you go to a standard tailor, I think you will really regret it. Leather is a different kind of a thing. I generally leave my jackets as they were designed. If they don't please me for some reason, I usually move them on. It takes someone who has a strong understanding of leather to make alterations that you will end up liking. I don't post much, but I've been into the leather jacket thing for about 20 years now. I've made some bad mistakes along the way.
Thanks, seems to be the general consensus here.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Good advice, I've only had it a couple of months. I have been known to " jump before I look" on occasion; following trends and such. Thanks for the input.
Agree with guppy. Push pause on that alteration, you may take a liking to it. Its not ideally on jackets. It is designed to keep any wind out so it is a functional feature, imo that adds validation to the design an offers an interesting detail.

Faux59

New in Town
Hey loungers! I figured I would bump this thread instead of starting 1 new.

I HATE the flap on my Schott 689H and want to chop it. Does it look like it can be done easily based on how it's stiched on the inside.
IMG_5797.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails