Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windward Goatskin Halfbelt (New Acquisition)

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Just bought this for an everyday wearer now that I finally have realized that the A-2 is not the best looking vintage jacket to be wearing. I now have decided to sell ALL my vintage A-2s and only pick up what I will wear. If this fits well (and I think it will) it will be something that I actually will wear instead of just hanging in my closet looking pretty. What do you think?

PICT5655.JPG

PICT5661.JPG

PICT5665.JPG

PICT5659.JPG

The 30s 40s halfbelt is by a long way my favourite leather jacket. Especially with such a wonderful plaid lining. And the wrist buckles are one of my favourite features. This one looks absolutely beautiful. What do you reckon it's made of? Mine is undoubtedly goat, and is a wonderful spring and autumn jacket.

I'm a well known A2 detractor. I just don't think they look good on many people - particularlry short people. They certainly look terrible on me … but that's because they don't generally come small enough. Heresy, i know.

bk

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Yes, it's goat and the liner appears to be a plaid wool with a corduroy piece around the inside of the collar. It's definitely early 40s, pre war as noted by the triple marked Hershey Bar Talon. I have a pre war Rough Wear A-2 with exactly the same goat and zipper. I hope it fits because it sure looks like a great jacket.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
That is a beauty .. very similar to the G8's issued in the 1920's and 1930's to US Naval Aviators and it looks like the inspiration for the Indiana Jones Adventurer jacket seen in all the movies... that is very nice indeed. What a fantastic find. :eusa_clap

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Very nice vintage jacket, I very much like this style.

I seem to have an expanding jacket collection that will see very little wear as well, but isn’t this what collecting is all about? Can I suggest don’t be too hasty when selling, you may have regrets later on?
But then again you could always start again!

Good luck if you do decide to move some of your jackets on.

Would like to see your latest jacket on when it arrives.

James.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Akubra Man said:
That is a beauty .. very similar to the G8's issued in the 1920's and 1930's to US Naval Aviators

Do you have any authentic pictures of such a jacket? (I don't mean modern reproductions)...

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
James, I just can't justify all these jackets anymore, as I mentioned, I don't wear them and almost never look at them. They are taking up way too much room and are frankly an expensive hobby if you aren't going to enjoy them. I have about 5 original jackets to sell at the moment and maybe an ELC A-2 and A-1. Still pondering them though.

jamespibworth@n said:
Very nice vintage jacket, I very much like this style.

I seem to have an expanding jacket collection that will see very little wear as well, but isn’t this what collecting is all about? Can I suggest don’t be too hasty when selling, you may have regrets later on?
But then again you could always start again!

Good luck if you do decide to move some of your jackets on.

Would like to see your latest jacket on when it arrives.

James.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
Do you have any authentic pictures of such a jacket? (I don't mean modern reproductions)...

I do not have any photos of the authentic. There are plenty of repro photos as the 440 G-8 is sold by several sources on the internet, namely US Wings, The Cockpit, Lostworlds. If you find some photos of the real thing it would be great to see them. I love seeing the original inspirations.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Authentic G-8

...And so would many people, who suspect that in the case of the M-440 or G-8 it is in some advertising copywriters imagination...

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
...And so would many people, who suspect that in the case of the M-440 or G-8 it is in some advertising copywriters imagination...

Hmm...I never really thought of it that way...I guess for me it does not matter whether it is real or fictional..it is a question of whether I like it or not...and I do like the style of that jacket a lot. I prefer it over the A2's or the G1's styling. In the end whether it is real or not does not diminish it for me.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I saw that jacket myself on "the Bay". Nearly had a pop at it then remembered it's almost identical to one I sold on there not so long ago.

The moral? Don't sell those jackets, you'll be buying them back in no time, but for more lolly.

Lovely jacket.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Man said:
Hmm...I never really thought of it that way...I guess for me it does not matter whether it is real or fictional..it is a question of whether I like it or not...and I do like the style of that jacket a lot. I prefer it over the A2's or the G1's styling. In the end whether it is real or not does not diminish it for me.

But you'll consider stopping describing it as a garment issued in the '20s and '30s, to USN Aviators...?;)

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo