Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine coloured lipsticks in the 1920s

Mojito

One Too Many
Hoping someone more knowledgeable about makeup history can help me with this....most of the extant lipstick shades from the 1920s I've seen or have samples of are in the pink through to deep red spectrum. I have a wine coloured vintage dress with silver beading that I need to accessorise - it's in the burgundy/maroon range. Does anyone have any examples of authentic shades that would go well with this?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Mojito said:
Hoping someone more knowledgeable about makeup history can help me with this....most of the extant lipstick shades from the 1920s I've seen or have samples of are in the pink through to deep red spectrum. I have a wine coloured vintage dress with silver beading that I need to accessorise - it's in the burgundy/maroon range. Does anyone have any examples of authentic shades that would go well with this?

Hi Mojito!
In my Vintage Face book, Here is what it says:
Early 1920's:Colorless Lip Salves
Mid 1920's: Orange Tones, Deep Reds, Deep Brownish Reds, Plums
Late 1920's: Liquid Lip Rouge and Pomade in Rose, Rasberry and Medium Red

It also has:

Lip Liner: Crimson or Wine

Under the different "looks" is has:
Flapper: Red Rasberry
Vamp: Crimson Wine or Plum
Natural: Rosy

Hope that helps!

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks, Red! It is very helpful to have that colour palette - I can work within the range you've identified. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran