Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Size 7 1/4 (58 cm) round oval (opposite of long oval)
Very lightweight (4 ounces or less), including the liner
Liner, if present, must be easily removable
Very soft fur felt, just stiff enough to hold its shape
6" or taller when open crown
3"-3.5" wide brim without a curled edge
Ribbon-bound brim preferred, but not essential
Most any very light color, white, grey, tan, beige, etc., but a very light blue would be particularly desirable
Make or date completely irrelevant, if the hat meets all of the above specifications

Fat or slim chance of finding the above, but I'd be delighted to hear about one (or more)

Edward

Bartender
you could easily just save up and buy those though .... no ?

moth spray aside

Fair point.... I suppose my point was more that I have firly simple desires in hats, and would be happy with a bunch of a good current production model that has an accurate vintage look, rather than it being of great importance to me to have hats that are specifically actual vintage for the sake of age (rather than style, if you follow me). That spray, though....

Homburgs are tough to find a use for. Too formal for most occasions. I have a sweet Stetson in light gray, size 8. I guess it used to be a wish list thing until I had one.

That might be a your side of the pond thing, too.... Folks here now think of them as formal (as bowlers), but back in the 20s before the fedora became as popular in the UK as it was in the US, in the UK and Ireland you'd see a fair few homburgs being worn as everyday hats - commonly bashed with a pinch, like a fedora. I love that look myself.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Fair point.... I suppose my point was more that I have firly simple desires in hats, and would be happy with a bunch of a good current production model that has an accurate vintage look, rather than it being of great importance to me to have hats that are specifically actual vintage for the sake of age (rather than style, if you follow me). That spray, though....

understood ... but I don't think anyone wants to own vintage hats for the sake of them being vintage
we buy them because they are far superior to anything available today ... including anything made by Akubra

Akubra hats are fine ... I happen to love them ... probably the best hat for the price point of all modern hats ... but sit it next to a Borsalino or Stetson from the 30s or 40s and you have a 1971 Gremlin parked next to a 2016 Ferrari 488GTB

all due respect of course ... the Gremlin was a tough car

Size 7 1/4 (58 cm) round oval (opposite of long oval)
Very lightweight (4 ounces or less), including the liner
Liner, if present, must be easily removable
Very soft fur felt, just stiff enough to hold its shape
6" or taller when open crown
3"-3.5" wide brim without a curled edge
Ribbon-bound brim preferred, but not essential
Most any very light color, white, grey, tan, beige, etc., but a very light blue would be particularly desirable
Make or date completely irrelevant, if the hat meets all of the above specifications

Fat or slim chance of finding the above, but I'd be delighted to hear about one (or more)

Close, but no cigar, as far as dimensions. Plus, sorry, you ain't gettin' it. :p

Add a purple Gremlin to my list. With a cloth sunroof though ...

1_gremlin_amc.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

That might be a your side of the pond thing, too.... Folks here now think of them as formal (as bowlers), but back in the 20s before the fedora became as popular in the UK as it was in the US, in the UK and Ireland you'd see a fair few homburgs being worn as everyday hats - commonly bashed with a pinch, like a fedora. I love that look myself.
I'm not necessarily wishing/looking for vintage either. A Stetsonian in Light "Fruno" Grey or a Whiskey "Ant" Gannon in a 7 1/4 would be fine. Anybody...?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Actually, the vintage enthusiast might prefer the 1971 AMC to the 2016 Ferrari. Or maybe not...

Ferrari are, and always have been vastly overpriced in relation to their performance.
Porsche have always whipped them in competition, and (Chevrolet!) Corvette has been doing so now for over a decade.
Better yet, buy a Catherham and outdo all of the above for far less money.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually have a beautiful Stetson 25. The sweat band fellow out (age) and it's over one size too big 7 5\8 instead of 7 1\2. So I need to send it off to get fixed but have not had the money for it.
The one I don't have is a whippet. But at the latest prices I saw on the bay I will be looking at a custom make for that one.
Johnny

nidan48

New in Town
I've got a whole six fur felts and there are so many I want
But
If I could only get one more it would be one of those magical hats I've read about
that can be blocked and unblocked, shaped and reshaped at one's whim.
I have no idea where one could be found though, they are probably vintage only.
Yeah I mean it, I'm a 60, no special shape so far as I know, and I really can't pull off a stingy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana