Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women in Bowlers

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
Noticed Ralph Lauren has women walking the catwalk in bowler hats

RALPH-LAUREN-FALL-2012.jpg
(along with top hats, other accoutrements borrowed from vintage menswear).

A character in the movie Easy Virtue is shown donning similar headwear.
easy_virtue48.jpg

What's the history on women in relation to bowlers? As for the present day, personally, I just don't see this style catching on the way the "paperboy" hat & knickers/breeches for women did back in the early 2000s.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, after seeing that second photo, I wish they would become a popular style again with women!

As far as I'm aware, the only socially acceptable purpose for women wearing bowlers/Derbies was for equestrian use, as in that second photo. There may have been some hat styles over the years resembled them, but not so closely that you would mistake them for a man's hat.

Brad

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I think women look great in Bowlers. Apparently bowlers been showing up quite frequently in high fashion on women and men recently. Radiohead's lead singer is wearing one in their newest music video. Haven't seen any around Toronto, though, except at New Years and Nuite Blanche.

This person's post is on point:
http://headstart-hats.blogspot.com/2011/10/ladies-in-bowler-hats.html

Here are a few choice pictures:
5180663483_973b7cfc00.jpg

Beautifully frames her features.

Kiera Knightley has been sporting a Lock & Co:

keirachanel3_450x400.jpg

2446908080_038c11709d_z.jpg

Well done, Ladies.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ok, this is a little painful. BTW, Methinks I spot a lord's hat on that web page.

And Thom Yorke in a bowler? I'm not worthy. Now I will have to denounce my lounge name. :)

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Ok, this is a little painful. BTW, Methinks I spot a lord's hat on that web page.

And Thom Yorke in a bowler? I'm not worthy. Now I will have to denounce my lounge name. :)

What exactly is a lord's hat? Several of the bowlers are of the soft, shapeless kind without much of a brim curl, that women seem to prefer. The picture of Kiera at the bottom 'wearing' the Lock for Chanel is the best one. It's a less-strict definition of women "in" bowlers ;)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
below Kiera, with the 2 of spades...

The brim curl is even all the way around, and the edge is raw. Also a soft hat, but different than a homburg or bowler. A recent obsession of mine... The crowns are where there's a bit of gray area for me. I have a few blocked with tall enough crowns to have a crease, but one Stephen Stetson that was blocked with a rather low derby shape, and although I could wear it open, it's soft enough to easily pinch in the front, which is the way I've come to prefer it.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?24991-The-Lords-hat&p=1398708&viewfull=1#post1398708

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21