Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WomenInWWII.com

Dagwood

Practically Family
Great historical website!!

My grandmother was very proud of her service during WWII. She helped build aircraft (actually doing the riveting) and took great pride in the "Rosie the Riveter" label. I would love to hear stories from other lounge members about their personal experience or stories they heard from the relatives. The women deserve as much praise as the men!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As I've mentioned in other posts, my parents met in the Marine Corps in WWII, in Washington. My dad did layout and my mom did letters to the editor for Leatherneck Magazine. My mother always quoted General Vandergriff's statement that the Woman Marines enabled the Corps to field the 6th Marine Divison. She was extremely proud of her service. I still have her green hat (and my dad's "piss cutter"), tho the moths have had a couple of nibbles at it, and her leather uniform purse. I'll post some pix later.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I honestly don't know of anyone in my family who was involved in WWII aside from my (step)grandfather who as since passed away. I did a report about him in middle school, but being the dumb kid that I am, I didn't save it. :eusa_doh:

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Dagwood said:
Great historical website!!

My grandmother was very proud of her service during WWII. She helped build aircraft (actually doing the riveting) and took great pride in the "Rosie the Riveter" label. I would love to hear stories from other lounge members about their personal experience or stories they heard from the relatives. The women deserve as much praise as the men!!

My grandmother was a riverter, too. Building ships in San Francisco, but just the opposite. She always seems a bit embarrassed by it. Talked to her once but she just didn't want to say much. It's not like she is too "lady-like" to want to admit it. [huh]

Story

I'll Lock Up
Pittsburg woman built aircraft parts during WWII
By Nikki Patrick | THE MORNING SUN
http://www.morningsun.net/stories/022408/loc_250359040.shtml

Pittsburg has its own "Rosie the Riveter," and she worked in the basement of Pittsburg Memorial Auditorium.

"There aren't many of us left who remember it, but from 1943 to 1945 there was an aircraft part assembly line down there," said Jacquelyn "Jackie" Finley. "It was operated by the G and H Tool Manufacturing Co., a subcontractor for Beech Aircraft. Mostly women worked there, because so many of the men were off to war."

Compare versus this 1943 article in Transportation Magazine
http://www.iheartchaos.com/2008/02/23/how-to-hire-a-woman-how-to/

pompier

Familiar Face
Hello, new here but have been lurking for a while. Had to chime in on this one as my Mom worked as she put it, "in the war plant" for most of the war. She and many of her (female) friends worked at Gilbarco (Gilbert & Barker Co.) from '42 to '45 producing the stamped steel parts that were used on the M1 and later the M1A1 90mm anti-aircraft gun. She was quality control and was responsible for making sure all parts were in spec. She was always very proud of the work she did and rightly so. I remember as a little kid playing with the micrometer she used for inspecting parts produced. Wish I knew where that micrometer was now. She died in 2005 at the age of 83 and one of her best friends sent an old photo from 1943 with all of the women that worked in the plant on the occasion of the factory receiving the Army and Navy "E" award for production excellence. For her time in the factory she received a monthly "pension" of $2.38 til she died.

Last edited:

TomS

One Too Many
My grandmaother was a staker in a munitions factory during WWII; She used a jack hammer to put the fuses into 500 lbs bombs. Interestingly, it was the final phase of the process, and explosion was not an infrequent problem.

Story

I'll Lock Up
The historic Michigan factory where the iconic Rosie the Riveter and thousands of other women built B-24 bombers during World War II could face the wrecking ball two months from now. A modest nonprofit is trying to raise enough money to salvage some of the massive plant, which Ford sold to General Motors after the war. The Yankee Air Museum figures the factory is the perfect place to start anew, after a devastating fire destroyed its collections in 2004.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/04/208762134/museum-tries-to-save-the-plant-where-rosie-riveted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo