Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's leather jackets

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
fashion jacket but the ribbing/quilting is an interesting feature for a non-serious moto jacket

DRHgTeaV4AErEhy.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I see vastly more women wearing cross-zip designs - in proper leather, el-cheapo pleather, assorted fabrics - than men.

And the same thing with trench coats and multitudes of green "army jackets" derived from the M-43/M-65. I'm mystified how these male military garments became ubiquitous common outerwear for women... but are often perceived as weird affections when we guys wear them!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Almost all the cross zips I see worn in the wild are worn by women.
good, at least there is hope for me to start conversation of common topic , otherwise they would start talking about Korean TVseries I know nothing about that made me an uncultured mute.

willyto

One Too Many
Has that jacket been seeing a lot of wear? I don't think women wear leather as hard as guys do. Any M/C use?
I think that has to do with the fact that most of them love fashion and can't repeat an outfit (Making a very broad generalisation here but it's how it works).

A Zara leather jacket works for them because they probably won't wear it much to justify the prices we pay.

good, at least there is hope for me to start conversation of common topic , otherwise they would start talking about Korean TVseries I know nothing about that made me an uncultured mute.

They literally wear them 'cause of herd mentality. Aren't even aware leather jacket can be a conversation topic.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Cross zips for women have been ”in style” for about the past 5 years in these parts. I’m sure given that much time the trend is dead or at least on life support. Agree that as a broad generalization women tend toward looks of the moment and therefore prudently spend less on a garment knowing it has a short shelf life.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Agree that as a broad generalization women tend toward looks of the moment and therefore prudently spend less on a garment knowing it has a short shelf life.
This is definitely the explanation, from what little I've been able to intuit from the women I've known. Also, women on average usually prefer new stuff over old stuff (obviously there are a bunch of women who are the total opposite).

dannyk

One Too Many
I think its just people in general outside of our niche. Most people dont ride, most people are not into heritage, most people dont count stitches, or know how to spot the difference in zippers. Most people either dont care how they look, or care how they look and have slight interest in things lasting...but more so about fashion. Whether its cross-zips being popular as of the last few years for women; or men and cafe racers. Sometimes its really just about us and how different we are, and how we live in an echo chamber here haha. But seriously.....we may be winners in the sense we get incredibly well made stuff, that can last a lifetime.....but we are full of knowledge the world at large does not care about and holds little value., and we dont fit in with societal trends.

But speaking of trends we do fall victim to them. If we looked at TFL by month to month, year to year....we will see when a certain brand was all the rage.....when everyone wanted a certain leather, or when getting the thickest oz was so important. When everyone had to have cross-zip when it was half belts. Within in our own tiny niche we may have less cycling, and less following trends...but we have our own too.

Edward

Bartender
Landed on the show Chicago PD and saw this actress wearing a cross zip. As a matter of fact at one point all three main characters were wearing various styles of leather jackets in the same frame. View attachment 423245

Interesting jacket. Looks like a "real" motorcycle jacket from the 70s/80s. Quite "British" in style, both the zip pullers (I would guess 70s because of those; chunky, often oversized zips seem to have become a norm into the mid-late 70s based on what I've handled over the years), and those side-buckles in place of a front-belt on a lancer-front jacket. Lack of gusseting behind the sleeve zips is an interesting feature - not something that I have seen quite as commonly as those with gusseting.

Almost all the cross zips I see worn in the wild are worn by women.

Definitely been a big fashion trend last few years. Before that it was MA1s and derivatives over here, before that again cafe racers.

Agreed. I see vastly more women wearing cross-zip designs - in proper leather, el-cheapo pleather, assorted fabrics - than men.

And the same thing with trench coats and multitudes of green "army jackets" derived from the M-43/M-65. I'm mystified how these male military garments became ubiquitous common outerwear for women... but are often perceived as weird affections when we guys wear them!

To be fair, I've seen an awful lot more men gravitate to military styles especially because they want to exude some macho vibe... Perhaps partly a gender difference, perhaps in part because the popular culture imagery around such things that may attract folks wanting to do so is very much a portrayal of a certain kind of masculinity, as distinct from women. It does remind me of music collecting. INsofar as one can ever really generalise, of course, the record collector world tends to split into boy collecting and girl collecting. Girl collecting: "I love this band, I have every song they ever recorded." Boy collecting: "I love this band, I'm their biggest ever fan. This is their first record, but not the run of the mill version. This is a rare one that has a misprint of the singer's name on the sleeve. Only a hundred of them were ever pressed. It also has an extra track on it that the normal version didn't, but I've never heard it - I can't play it because if I take the cellophane off it will destroy its collectable value...." :D

Cross zips for women have been ”in style” for about the past 5 years in these parts. I’m sure given that much time the trend is dead or at least on life support. Agree that as a broad generalization women tend toward looks of the moment and therefore prudently spend less on a garment knowing it has a short shelf life.

I'm not sure it's only women, tbh.... I see as much disposable fast-fashion aimed at, and bought by, men. Only difference is that it's a bit subtler as so many mainstream men seem to reckon it's somehow "a bit gay" to be seen to be too interested in clothes.

I think its just people in general outside of our niche. Most people dont ride, most people are not into heritage, most people dont count stitches, or know how to spot the difference in zippers. Most people either dont care how they look, or care how they look and have slight interest in things lasting...but more so about fashion. Whether its cross-zips being popular as of the last few years for women; or men and cafe racers. Sometimes its really just about us and how different we are, and how we live in an echo chamber here haha. But seriously.....we may be winners in the sense we get incredibly well made stuff, that can last a lifetime.....but we are full of knowledge the world at large does not care about and holds little value., and we dont fit in with societal trends.

But speaking of trends we do fall victim to them. If we looked at TFL by month to month, year to year....we will see when a certain brand was all the rage.....when everyone wanted a certain leather, or when getting the thickest oz was so important. When everyone had to have cross-zip when it was half belts. Within in our own tiny niche we may have less cycling, and less following trends...but we have our own too.

Ain't that the truth! A dozen years ago, you'd have been practically tarred and feathered in these parts for liking a jacket with a multi-panel back, and anything that wasn't as heavy as possible (A2s aside, natch because MILSPEC!) was viewed as a bit suspect. Been interesting watching the vintage world more generally evolve, too. Different periods go in and out of fashion - 50s, early 60s, 40s, The War, 20s, 30s.... - and I think there's more of an element of brand fashion perhaps now that once there was as the market evolves, original stuff that is wearable begins to fade into history (or disappear into secretive, private collections), and be replaced by repro brands, with collections that can vary year on year, and so the cycle (the cyyycle of liiiife....) repeats...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk