Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woolworth’s, Bakersfield

B3F2B3EF-7BFE-41E4-9296-24AF7D47EDA7.jpeg
5EAF9B36-E78F-4C81-AFFA-CA4D7665C7AF.jpeg
CEEEF83A-D32E-4B51-BFDA-673A70215A40.jpeg
635813D2-2F6C-4215-9008-0FD8A437FE06.jpeg
3D3585E0-26B1-470D-A663-5BB3C5E2F92D.jpeg
AAFA68F1-F567-45AD-8702-2F5BBC9724A6.jpeg
AD34BCB5-E992-4563-9AEB-A29313F30CD9.jpeg

Anyone here been to the antique mall in what used to be a Woolworth’s store in Bakersfield?

I haven’t, but I’ll make a point of it next time I get within a hundred miles.

It boasts its original lunch counter, still in operation, and still much as it was back in the day. Some call it ’50s style, but it looks a little earlier than that to me — a bit closer to a streamline moderne look.

Photos lifted from other online forums.

I have not been, but I sure want to go now. That one's a whole lot swankier than the one that was on the south side of Birmingham, where I ate many a cheeseburger in my teenage years.

Definitely late thirties. Woolworths went in big for that type of design at the time.

People think ’50s, I think, because, 1.) most of those people weren’t alive then so what they know of it is mostly what the Fantasy Factory has told them, and, 2.) architecture and interior designs dating from a couple decades or more earlier were more in evidence in 1956 than what was built in 1955, or ’54, or ’53, or ...

The Hollywood version was long on lunch counters and soda shops with checkerboard floors and Formica counter- and tabletops and chrome-plated tubular steel chair frames and table legs and all that. Throw in some glass blocks, maybe. That kinda is the description of the archetypal ’50s lunch counter, even if in actuality it owes more to the ’30s.

59Lark

Practically Family
its been so long since, i sat in a diner, over a year with this crisis, i used to go to the Del Mar circa 1953 every monday and friday for soooo long. It feels like a different life, sitting in the orange vinyl booths, looking at the period photos, listening to the old folks, oldest customer that i talked to was 100yrs old and they had gone there since 53. i pray that 85yr old gus is still there when we can go back, i once sat in Lammys diner at the henry ford , they had period music, i started crying, i also cry to vera lynne music, i had two close friends that were ww2 veterans, and we will meet again was a favourite, and lillie marlene, one was RAF, and one was merchant marine. This generation doesnt realize what they missed, i have had my share of hamburger deluxes. i have had so many unlimited coffees, i miss those days. People with white aprons, who greeted you like family. 59lark.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
People think ’50s, I think, because, 1.) most of those people weren’t alive then so what they know of it is mostly what the Fantasy Factory has told them, and, 2.) architecture and interior designs dating from a couple decades or more earlier were more in evidence in 1956 than what was built in 1955, or ’54, or ’53, or ...

The Hollywood version was long on lunch counters and soda shops with checkerboard floors and Formica counter- and tabletops and chrome-plated tubular steel chair frames and table legs and all that. Throw in some glass blocks, maybe. That kinda is the description of the archetypal ’50s lunch counter, even if in actuality it owes more to the ’30s.

There was a dream sequence in an episode of Supernatural, with an obviously 1950s era car, with clothing and hair appropriate to period to match.

My 12 year old asked us " why are they dreaming of the 1920s"?

Perception is relative I guess...

59Lark

Practically Family
loungers; i see the idea, its takes 20 yrs to get worn in, and familar. Actually the art deco period was one of the best. My brother once told me that i wasnt so different than others it was i was 30 yrs behind. I wasnt blessed with a father in my lifetime, i lost him at 8, he had lost his at 6 months, however there were a lot of old men that mentored me, in my trade and friendship and i have lost all but two of those. My old limey , app at 15 , sixty years ago, once some lady made some comment and he stood by me and proclaimed we are tradesmans madam, wont learn that on u tube. With this age of plastic, instant gratification on the internet, there is still one shop were we repairs things, especially machines that were made to last a lifetime. 59lark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto