Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woolworth's menu, circa 1958

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Somebody just sent me this, and of course I had to share it. According to what I've been able to Google, King Size Coke was first introduced in 1955, making this menu from some time in the late 50's. Seems like only yesterday.
Also note, you could get a malted milk with 2 dippers of ice cream! Whatever became of chocolate malts???

Woolworthmenu.jpg

hargist

One of the Regulars
I guess someone like me who avoids dairy and meat (except fish) would pretty much be out of luck in the 50's.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah! Back when two bits were made of silver and a bill could actually be traded for a silver dollar at the bank! (A silver certificate)

Give's one a real example of how far the dollar has slipped in a just two generations. :(

-dixon cannon

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I see 10 cents (unless I'm just missing where you're looking), though it probably is less than 12 ounces and I agree with your point.

I'm also curious as to how long the term "whipped topping" has been around. To me, this is always a signal that we're talking about partially hydrogenated something or other, rather than simply whipped cream - though it may have been different at the time of this menu.

LizzieMaine said:
It's interesting that a "King Size" fountain Coke then was a whopping 10 ounce glass -- a boost up from the standard 6 ounce size. Such gluttony they had in those days.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
King Size Coke

I believe the King Size Coke was a very belated response to Pepsi's oversized bottle. Pepsi in the late 30's had a 12 oz bottle for the same nickel as the small Coke bottle, but they sold about 5% as much product nation wide. By the 50's Pepsi had made huge inroads on Coke's turf. By that time Coca Cola's complacency had left the door wide open for upstart Pepsi. One of the more interesting episodes in American corporate history.
Anyone remember the McGuire Sisters' jingle "King Sized Coke has (bump) more for you!"?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lefty said:
I see 10 cents (unless I'm just missing where you're looking), though it probably is less than 12 ounces and I agree with your point

I based that on the actual fountain glasses of the time -- I have a number of them, which I use regularly.

coke.jpg

The "regular" 6 ounce size, seen in the middle, was an itty thing that people today would assume belongs in a dollhouse, while the 10 ounce "King Size" , on the ends, is what folks today would call a small -- or less, actually. The smallest fountain coke currently offered is 16 ounces!

During this same era, the largest bottled Coke you could get was 28 ounces -- billed with great fanfare as the giant new Family Size. By comparison, the typical large size fountain drink now is 32 ounces.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
hargist said:
I guess someone like me who avoids dairy and meat (except fish) would pretty much be out of luck in the 50's.
I recall them offering a rather tasty tuna salad sandwich in the early 60's. :essen:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
No fair working off the menu, Lizzie! :p

As a vegetarian - no fish - I'm gettin' a cheese sammich and some pie. :D

hargist

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
I recall them offering a rather tasty tuna salad sandwich in the early 60's. :essen:

The tuna part is fine. It's the salad part that gets me because that means mayo, which I can't have. All I can say is thank goodness for Vegenaise! Living in the present day does have its benefits.

Cricket

Practically Family
Here is my ideal lunch from the menu:

The baked ham and cheese sandwich with a malt.
Hmmm...my mouth is watering, and my stomach is growling. Strange really, since I just got back from lunch.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Kt Templar said:
Ah, but I'd be willing to bet there'd be lard in that pie crust!

Nah. I'm gonna say it's Crisco. It's just as unhealthy, but vegetarian.
My wife makes pies with butter flavored Crisco. We've tried using other, healthier choices, but you just can't come close to the flavor and consistency you get with a big ol' bucket of trans-fatty shortening. :)
Crisco_Cookbook_1912.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Nah. I'm gonna say it's Crisco. It's just as unhealthy, but vegetarian.
My wife makes pies with butter flavored Crisco. We've tried using other, healthier choices, but you just can't come close to the flavor and consistency you get with a big ol' bucket of trans-fatty shortening. :)
Crisco_Cookbook_1912.jpg

Yea...my family is kosher...and we use crisco in pie crusts...not even the buttery kind (thats so -new-!)....and it works wonderfully.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandmother and her best friend used to have knock-down-drag-out fights over the question of Lard versus Crisco -- it was a matter of great passion in those days. I've made both myself, and while the lard-based crust is flakier and, I think, more flavorful, the Crisco is, as the advertising copy insisted, much easier to digest.

We had a Newberry's lunch counter here for many years, where I used to dine in my radio days, and by that time they were going the frozen pie crust route. It wasn't that bad, if they remembered to thaw it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn