World War Greatcoats

Discussion in 'WWII' started by earl, Oct 27, 2020.

1. earl

earl One of the Regulars

I've been hauling around a great uncle's greatcoat for decades and think I'll actually wear it this winter for once. Am incapable of posting photos but was wondering if someone could clue me in on whether it's likely to be WWI or II vintage-either is possible. It's camel colored, mid-calf length and fits my 5'7 frame perfectly. 5 rows of buttons on each side. Buttons aren't metallic. It's quite heavy. Must be 10 pounds.

2. EngProf

EngProf A-List Customer

The fact that it's "camel-colored" makes it more likely that is a WWII Officer's Overcoat.
    WWI coats were mostly a dark brownish green and WWII enlisted overcoats were dark brown.
    Look at the neck, inside the pockets, and at the tail to see if there is a small white Quartermaster (QM) tag.
    If you are lucky and one of those is there, it will have a description of the item and the contract date.
    Late WWII coats had plastic buttons instead of brass to save valuable metal.

Was your great uncle an officer? If so, they often bought their coats from private sources, so it won't have an Army QM tag on it. However, sometimes private tailors would simply put "Regulation Army" somewhere on their civilian products.
    I have several "camel-colored" WWII Officer's overcoats (short and long). They are really first-rate coats.

Peacoat likes this.
  3. earl

earl One of the Regulars

Wore it today for the first time ever. Definitely will be great on cold blustery days. No tags exist though the coat in in great nearly new condition. Had 2 great uncles fight in WWII. One in Europe, 1 in the Pacific. Don't know the rank of the former, but the latter was an officer. Doubt he'd need that coat in the Pacific.:p Not sure which relative owned it.