Would a black bootlegger be a crazy buy?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HeyZeusPenguin, Apr 18, 2020.

1. HeyZeusPenguin

HeyZeusPenguin Familiar Face

Ive always had i crisis in choosing between a highwayman or bootlegger. On one side, i prefer the model of the bootlegger, but i feel like it just would look to much like a regular motorcycle jacket in a black color. What is your opinions on this? Havent found any pictures on google so im just clueless.

2. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Perhaps a Moonshiner. It's a button front bootlegger.

E39980CE-75F5-4C8C-BE33-1D3E363BF6B1.jpeg

On the other hand, I might (if I'd known more) have purchased a 50s half-belt over a Highwayman.

Monitor likes this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't think my black bootlegger was crazy, i like it more than my brown bootlegger...
    IMO the half belt and cuffs make it more "aviator style" than "motorcycle style". It's also pretty boxy which isn't really a MC jacket thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

And the same jacket in brown, i don't think one looks more like a regular MC jacket than the other:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mawashi

Mawashi One of the Regulars

I found some photos of a really interesting bootlegger

https://www.thurston-bros.com/produ...legger-sz-40-tweed-wool-and-vicenza-horsehide

Like what Carlos840 said, the bootlegger is more aviation than biker like this.
    Men’s-Aviator-Cross-Zip-B3-Cream-Shearling-Sheepskin.jpg

Both the Highwayman and the bootlegger are great jackets. The bootlegger has more character while the hwm is more classic.

When I think about a black jacket the first thing that comes to mind is a motor jacket (which I'm not that big a fan of) followed by the German Gestapo / U Boat type leather jackets.
    a38e39006cb61835ec17be9e9c4a3156.jpg

However, I'll throw my choice into the mix
    A Simmons Klondike
    k1_1_5.jpg

Kuro and casterfield like this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

The Gestapo never wore a coat like this. This is really a classic European civilian style worn by working men in the mid 20th centrury - popular until the 1970's. I have also seen Scandinavian versions of this pattern.

Carlos840 and Mawashi like this.
  7. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

No trouble at all with a black bootlegger! You can spec it to have Zip sleeves & nickle hardware if you want to a have a little more motorcycle feel to it.

Mawashi likes this.
  8. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Just because it's a bit more aviator in style doesn't mean that it doesn't look good in black.
    I think Carlos' pictures prove that it would work.

Mawashi likes this.
  9. Mawashi

I didn't want to encourage the gustapo look or anything nazi related I merely said that was the first ting that came it mind so I used what look similar which was a double breasted jacket as I was not sure what the reaction guys here would have about anything related to that dark period.

Having said that I have seen some really nice u boat leather jackets

10. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I was simply offering a clarification to your claim. The war was incidental to my comment. These are also not u boat jackets. Similar but different. Some private purchase by navy types may well have happened back then but the issued uboat coats were grey and a different pattern. The Gestapo look is a leather overcoat, at least a foot or more longer than this.

Carlos840 and Mawashi like this.
  11. Mawashi

Yes the gastapo wore longer trench jackets that were issued to higher ranking officers so the look caught on.

It doesn't help that Hugo Boss made the uniforms for the SS and the look became associated with all things nazi.

It's sad but some of these designs are really awesome but I won't touch them w a 10 foot pole.

12. willyto

willyto One Too Many

These days if you really wear a black knee lenght trench coat you would probably get Matrix comments.

bn1966, navetsea and Mawashi like this.
  13. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

Between Highwayman and Bootlegger, I will wear highwayman a lot more. And I will regret to not buying the bootlegger.

Mawashi likes this.
  14. Kuro

Kuro A-List Customer

I would. The Bootlegger is one of the first custom jackets I considered! I still want a half belt jacket.

Today though, I would probably order a Hooch Hauler...

That being said, a crosszip jacket looks like a motorcycle jacket to most people.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  15. Mawashi

That's so true lol.

Both are very appealing jackets but for myself the look of the Klondike is more in line with what I prefer oops lol.

KissMyMuscle likes this.
  16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

The kids at my work have never seen that old film. :eek: