Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

would this Dobbs be a stingy from the 30's or 60's?

astaire

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone.

i got this Dobbs hat a few days ago. I bought it because i haven't got a light grey hat :eek: It also has the nice guild-edge and good dimensions.

At first i thought it looks like the typical 60's rat pack. But after looking at it a few times, i grew to think it might be earlier than that because of the stove-pipe, straight crown.

Would anyone like to comment on my uneducated assumption?

dobbsgrey.jpg

Thanks All!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
That high, straight crown looks very '30s to me. In fact, I bid on one just like this on eBay recently, precisely because it had this characteristic.

We have experts here on the Lounge that can date it from the design on the liner. Maybe one of them will provide some sage advice on vintage, if you post a photo of the liner logo.

Congratulations on a snazzy lid.

astaire

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
How wide is that brim? Is it under 2"?

Tony, the brim is 2-1/8 inches wide.

MC, i know what you mean. i have a dobbs twenty from the 30's with the clear (cream) background on the logo. That red background is what's making me nervous.

So the question is: did they ever make the logo with the red bacground before the 60's?

Thanks all!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've been mslead by pictures similar to those, too. It's hard to pinpoint what hte actual proportions are. I would rather base my judgement on sweatband color and plastic/no plastic in the liner.

-ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR