Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you consider this a good fit ?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I've had this vintage Pioneer wear suede trucker a couple months now, and I wear it every chance the weather permits.
Of course I have also posted it quite a bit too, hopefully not too much.
20221228_101044.jpg

20230109_120620.jpg

I am generally happy with the fit, I don't think it looks too big ( not that I'm experienced enough to say ), it doesn't feel too big, it certainly doesn't feel too small, and it's just comfortable.
I think the sleeves could stand to be a tad shorter, but that's not stopping me from enjoying it.

Anyways Marcmndt's recent thread got me thinking ( incidentally he made me want this jacket in the first place ) of how little I know about leather jacket fit, and I decided I should use this jacket as an opportunity to learn a bit seeing as I find it the most comfortable of the 3 leather jackets I own.

Would anyone say this a fit I should happily seek ( aside from the sleeve length) in other jackets, or could there be an even better looking fit that's no less comfortable ?

I'm not even sure if this is a question I can really ask, or if it's all up to how I feel about a jacket.
It's not like I'm going to stop wearing this one if you guys tell me it doesn't fit me right, but for some reason it just seemed like an appropriate example to use as a learning point.

Mandarin

Practically Family
Fits you OK, although, as you pointed out, the sleeves are on the long side. It can be easily fixed by adding an extra snap to the cuff, so you can fasten it tighter at the wrist. I did this on two of my truckers.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Personally I like the fit. The sleeves maybe look a bit wide through the forearm to my eye, but other than that, I think it looks great.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Fits you OK, although, as you pointed out, the sleeves are on the long side. It can be easily fixed by adding an extra snap to the cuff, so you can fasten it tighter at the wrist. I did this on two of my truckers.
That would be a good option , but this one doesn't have anything at the cuffs.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Overall I'd say it's a good fit. Sleeves are too long but those can easily be shortened by undoing the cuff, removing an inch of leather and sewing the cuff back into place. Just make sure to have it done by a professional.

CDADFC5D-567B-4E7E-A1DF-416E33B04021.jpeg

TLW '90

Practically Family
Because I do not even know of a place near me, how much the work would cost, or how much they should be shortened, I am perfectly happy to live with the sleeve length at this time.

Maybe I will eventually get the sleeves altered.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me this is a "compromise fit" it's good enough that i would wear it, but it isn't "perfect".
I think the sleeves being slightly long and wide make the jacket appear slightly oversized on you, but not to the point of looking wrong.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
FWIW, I have similar truckers in two different sizing. Medium and Large. The medium is always a little short and tight and the large is little long in the sleeves like yours. I just use the cuff snaps to tighten so the sleeves sits around my wrist. So imo it's fine, don't mess with a vintage Pioneer, just enjoy it.

TLW '90

Practically Family
To me this is a "compromise fit" it's good enough that i would wear it, but it isn't "perfect".
I think the sleeves being slightly long and wide make the jacket appear slightly oversized on you, but not to the point of looking wrong.
That is something I will definitely keep in mind whenever the time may come to acqquire another leather jacket.

My Pioneer has sleeves that I wish were tapered. I think you could install a snap on each cuff to fix the width. I’ve thought about it on mine.
Honestly though, you are lucky to have nabbed this amazing jacket in your size!

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
It looks good to me.

I've found that I can stand in front of a full length mirror and strike a pose that will make anything look bad.

In a normal world your jacket is going to be fluid and dynamic in motion. You are not going to hold your arms in parallel out in front of you for the world to inspect.

But when the cuff falls further down your wrist, onto the top of your hand, that's the pose you find. Accentuate the perceived flaw. Something no one would ever focus on.

Of course there are some poor fits that you can spot from across the room....but this isn't one of them.

TLW '90

Practically Family
the sleeve around the forearm is a bit wide. , and probably the waist is a bit boxy for your figure, the shoulder and chest and length are all good
It has cinches on the back with snaps, but I wear it this way so it doesn't interfere with a belt knife which is something I carry quite frequently.

As for the sleeve width I see what you're saying, but I'm skinny ( always have been) and I assume that any jacket with straight sleeves and no cuff adjustment will probably fit this way on me.
Another point to comfort would be that it doesn't interfere with my wrist watch, that's one reason I don't wear my fidelity Cafe racer very often.
I don't like the unzipped sleeve look on that one.

Maybe this is just a jacket where comfort is more important to me than the most perfect fit ?
Eventually I'll have to try something else in a similar style and see if a more perfect fit would still be as comfortable as this one.

It won’t be!
My jackets that feel right look a little too big in photos (with phone). When I use my DSLR they look better, but the slightly tight ones “look” better in posts.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
It has cinches on the back with snaps, but I wear it this way so it doesn't interfere with a belt knife which is something I carry quite frequently.

As for the sleeve width I see what you're saying, but I'm skinny ( always have been) and I assume that any jacket with straight sleeves and no cuff adjustment will probably fit this way on me.
Another point to comfort would be that it doesn't interfere with my wrist watch, that's one reason I don't wear my fidelity Cafe racer very often.
I don't like the unzipped sleeve look on that one.

Maybe this is just a jacket where comfort is more important to me than the most perfect fit ?
Eventually I'll have to try something else in a similar style and see if a more perfect fit would still be as comfortable as this one.
what I meant the upper waist, some jacket are cut boxy from armpit down, some has more V, I took in my upper waist area on my denim jacket that is cut boxy so it has some ( curve on the waist before coming back to its waistband size, it makes the jacket fit better on me.
20230325_094939.jpg
20230325_095050.jpg
20230325_095313.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ