Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you invite them over for dinner?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I was researching the records of my 1950 ranch house, and there have been only two former owners: the elderly lady who sold it to me, and the couple before her who lived here for over forty years. I looked them up online and they are still alive and active within the community. I was thinking of inviting them over for dinner so they can see the house now and I can learn more about it. It would be cool to hear stories and maybe even see old pictures!

Has anyone done anything like this before? Do you think they'd think I am a kook?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not? Especially if they are active. I believe the message you are sending is that you are actually complimenting them on the way they cared for the house before you. ;)

Further, you are giving them an opportunity to relive the events of years past. You never know they might make some brownies or bring over some good pastries. That is worth the price of admission. The bonus is if you live near Boston they will get some goodies from Mike's Pastry Shop.

This is starting to sound like a nice party. Do it!!!!:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes!

Absolutely, do it. That will give the house an identity it will carry forever. Connect the place to its first roots. Take pics, report the entire conversation verbatim. Maybe they have old pics of how it was originally decorated.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Having seen one too many of the home channel shows...where the new buyers change things..and then they bring the former owners back to look at it all...upon where they loudly complain about how its all been -just ruined- by the upstarts..when it was -such- perfection before.....

I would meet at a restaurant. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Many years ago, my parents and I ripped out a bunch of shaggy, overgrown, allergy-attack-inducing junipers from the front yard and planted flowers. Sometime later, my mother got a haircut from a woman who complained about the horrors being done to the front yard of the house where her high school boyfriend lived. (Yes, it was the same house.)

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
Yes , why not it gives you the chance to hear their stories and share in the history of the home , i have lived in a couple of very old houses and each time i have had the good fortune to meet previous owners of the homes and thoroughly enjoyed their stories , it gives you a real insight and brings your home to life.

Foofoogal

Banned
I think they would love it but all they could say was no. (they may be too old to travel though)
I would love to go back to some of the places I have lived.
I am a decorating fool so I expect people to change stuff. Only problem I see here is they lived there for 40 years as you say they may not want to leave.
We just bought a home and the next door neighbor said the original owners regret selling the home. (sorry but they are not getting it back and I see why they would) :D

Big Man

I think it is a great idea. :eusa_clap

Years ago, I visited an old house where one of my great aunt's lived. It was an old farm house she and her husband built about 1900. It was interesting to see what the place was like compared to what I had been told about "the old days". The house has since been converted to a winery, and I've been invited back by the new owners to see the place.

Good luck with this. Please let us know how it goes and post some "then and now" pictures if you have the opportunity.

Carlisle Blues

Foofoogal said:
I think they would love it but all they could say was no. (they may be too old to travel though)
I would love to go back to some of the places I have lived.
I am a decorating fool so I expect people to change stuff. Only problem I see here is they lived there for 40 years as you say they may not want to leave.
We just bought a home and the next door neighbor said the original owners regret selling the home. (sorry but they are not getting it back and I see why they would) :D

It is not my imagination! lol lol lol

As I was sitting here singing "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro to myself I thought:

I would hold off on dinner and have them over for coffee or tea and shame them into bringing pastries. I mean, only the good Lord knows what their table manners are like and you don't need a social mess on your hands. :eusa_doh:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I not only would, I have!

The man who built my house died of TB in 1938, shortly after moving in. But in 2007 we located his daughter, who had lived there for several years more, and her cousin, who still lived in town. We had them and some more relatives over. Suddenly the past of our town and home came to life with stories and memories shared among us. They were very sweet people and it was an occasion we cherish always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany