Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would You Squeal?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm looking at a new poster the Motion Picture Association of America has sent out to all theatres in the US, offering a reward of up to $500 to any theatre employee who catches someone in the act of making a bootleg recording of any film being shown, and it makes me wonder -- in this day and age, how many people are willing to put themselves on the side of Established Authority and take action against an illegal act that most people might think of as petty and insignificant. With the whole "Stop Squealing" attitude rampant among the kids today, are we grownups really any more ethical?

I'd think this might make for an interesting discussion -- in such a situation, where you see someone committing an obvious smalltime crime, would *you* squeal or would you simply look the other way?

Me, if I catch someone taping, bam -- into the jug they go. That's no dilemma for me at all -- they're stealing my livelihood. But if I see some kid shoplifting at the mall? I'm honestly not sure what I'd do.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I probably wouldn't. I know I get sick of those ads on TV telling everyone to be all moral & turn in their neighbors for stealing cable. I would rat people out, but not for anything like that. White collar crime goes unpunished, so why should anyone protect a company by squealing on the little guys?

panamag8or

Practically Family
In this day and age, you certainly don't want to confront the kid shoplifting at the mall, you might get shot.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I might give a ripper-offer a piece of my mind if I felt the little guy or gal would really be aided by it. But for the MPAA, RIAA or any other overpaid be-suited goon squad I will not stir a pinky. They are the dogs in the electronic manger.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Theater management in some areas aren't strict in telling their employees to catch someone in the act of bootlegging. The theaters near me whose employees rarely ever ask to see your student ID when purchasing a student ticket, make me doubt they really care, but maybe money will sing a different tune. Then again, they employ students. Ironic isn't it? lol

If I did see someone taping in a theater, to tell you the truth, I'd be more worried for the theater's awareness than the person taping.

dostacos

Practically Family
in a heartbeat! Especially since the product they sell is not only ripping the company but it also is hurting that consumer who thinks he is buying the real deal.

Yeah, when they buy it before the release they KNOW they are buying some type of bootleg product, BUT they continue selling the bootlegs long after the movie companies release official copies.

copying movies is just another way to make money illegally, so if they do the crime they can do the time.....

Josephine

One Too Many
I truly think that the music/film companies are going way overboard on their rabid witch hunt of what they consider copyright infringement. However, having said that, I also thing that someone who records a movie in the theater KNOWS what they are doing is wrong, and in fact is wrong. So yes, I would (from the ivory tower of my comfy chair in my comfy house), turn them in.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a musician who's had plenty of his CD albums burned at home by so-called 'fans' over the years, I abhor the practice. Bring the thieving mongrels to justice.

Bebop

Practically Family
Squeal, squeal, squeal. I don't feel right if I let someone get away with stealing. There is no way I would let anyone, kid or adult, get away with shoplifting or bootlegging a movie.

I learned that from my dearly departed father who after being in this country for one week confronted a man beating his wife and my father who spoke no english at the time and was 5'7" and 145 lbs., held the guy on the ground until police arrived because as he said when my mother asked him if he had gone crazy since arriving in the U.S., "Are we supposed to wait for someone else to do the right thing?" That stuck with me.

I feel a little different about squealing on one of my S.F. neighbors that smokes marihuana day and night. I'm not quite sure why I wouldn't squeal on him. Maybe it has to do with my personal feelings about marihuana. I suppose that makes a difference when it comes to squealing. Maybe it's because he is a sharp dresser and wears hats. [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Diamondback said:
Only $500? Cheap bastages... if I'm gonna sell out it'll have to be for more than that...

lol

Thats the point to me. If this hurts their bottom line so much, up the antie. Im sure the movie company who has those movies where 300 people in 4000 theaters across the country at $15 a pop can afford more than $500.

Hurts the real bottom line, or creates a market you cant regulate?

LD

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Not in a million years...

...would I "squeal" on a bootlegger. Copyright laws as they stand are ridiculous. A few months back, a case was ruled against Jammie Thomas, a single mother, who shared a whopping 24 songs illegally. She was fined $220,000--is this justice? Yes, corporations are failing. And why? Because people are buying crappy bootlegs for $5? I doubt it. The entertainment business is changing, and the ones who make decisions are turning a blind eye. Bootleggers are an underground part of the digital trend of movies, music and television. Companies need to get their heads on straight, ask why this trend began, and learn how to work with it--they may make more money and keep the business alive that way. Anger needs to be aimed at the market and the companies who create the crisis.

Vintage Betty

I'm going to respond slightly differently.

Being in the software industry and working in a company that develops its own software, I am very sensitive to software piracy.

Software piracy is huge, and hits everyone, and is one of the main reasons for all types of things: raising software prices, costs to improve anti-piracy, patents, and yes, lawyers. This is very similar to the film industry.

If I or members of my company find a distributor who is knowingly making software copies and sells them, than yes, I do and have reported them to the company who owns the original software. I have reported software piracy, film and gaming download sites posted illegally. I have even spoken to the President of a well-known gaming company as he was investigating an illegal download site that we reported and helped take down real-time the day after a major game was launched.

If I find someone who knowingly copies a single piece of software for personal use, I don't bother to even think about it. But if I find someone who is illegally copying and selling or distributing the same software for mass distribution, you bet I am on it and reporting them as soon as I can.

Consumers readily complain about rising prices of film prices. But it is absolutely amazing that certain parts of the world literally turn the other way, because it is such a thriving economy to pirate films. It costs money and time to pursue those individuals and to try and create protection with copyrights in place (technology which makes it harder to copy media, etc), and those costs are passed on to all of us by raising prices. Since politics are not allowed, I won't even go into the trade agreements, blockades and high profile discussions between the US and foreign countries regarding this specific issue. It is absolutely astounding how much money is spent on copyright issues and protection per dollar.

I have had my business property taken and I have used lawyers to pursue the individual(s) in question. It was costly and irritating, and didn't even come close to recouping the costs involved.

But if and when it happens again, I will report and take legal action as necessary.

Vintage Betty

diverguy

New in Town
Tough Call

Good thread! Two thoughts. I hate paying high prices for movies. And two, have you actually seen some of the crappy copies that they make? I'm not a fan of people pirating video, music, software...but then I'm not guilt free either.

Mike in Seattle

sweetfrancaise said:
...would I "squeal" on a bootlegger. Copyright laws as they stand are ridiculous. A few months back, a case was ruled against Jammie Thomas, a single mother, who shared a whopping 24 songs illegally. She was fined $220,000--is this justice? Yes, corporations are failing. And why? Because people are buying crappy bootlegs for $5? I doubt it. The entertainment business is changing, and the ones who make decisions are turning a blind eye. Bootleggers are an underground part of the digital trend of movies, music and television. Companies need to get their heads on straight, ask why this trend began, and learn how to work with it--they may make more money and keep the business alive that way. Anger needs to be aimed at the market and the companies who create the crisis.

So because bootleggers feel the price of a CD or digital download is too expensive, we should give them a pass on it? OK...I'd like a Lexus but they're awfully pricey for my budget, so if I go steal one (which is in fact exactly what the bootleggers & pirates are doing, only on a smaller ticket item), you'll speak on my behalf at the trial?

Certainly it's justice for Jammie Thomas. She knew the legal ramifications going in and chose to ignore it, and it wasn't that she was giving a few tapes to a few friends. Just because "bootleggers are an underground part of the digital trend" doesn't mean it's legal nor that should it be condoned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav