Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wow, one hat store in town; dissapointing

citRon

A-List Customer
well I visited the one and only one hat store that we have in Louisville, Ky today, and boy, what a disapointment! They had racks and racks of fedoras, but all were wool felt cheap imports in s-m-l sizes. They had 3 fur felt Baileys in one style only.
What a shame. -and our mayor touts us as a 'large city'.

NonEntity

Suspended
That's par for the course, citRon.

I live in a larger city than you, and we have but one non-Western-style hat store. It's better than yours, but nothing to get excited about.

Alvin, the super-nice guy who owns it, went to high school with my mother, so he knows me. He actually asked her out to the senior prom, but she turned him down purely because he's Jewish. Good Southern Christian girls did not do such things in the 1940s.

Anyway, I'd like to make up for that by giving him some business, but I've yet to find anything in there--from berets to ivies to fedoras--that I could not purchase via catalogue or online that was both better and less expensive.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Being 50 miles from New Orleans is nice as I can run to Meyer The Hatter just about anytime I want. The downside is their location... on St. Charles just off Canal Street. Parking in the CBD is a nightmare. As I have a handicapped parking permit it makes it a bit easier for me but I still have to orbit the block several times before I can find someplace to slip into.

There was a neat little hat shop right behind the St. Louis Cathedral on Pirate's Alley about 25 years ago. I bought my first Panama there but it and the hat are ancient history now.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
citRon,

Rodes on Brownsboro Rd, across from Holiday Manor, carries Christy's, and can order Hobbs and Stetson. This is the only place where I found hats of some quality.

Don't waste your time visiting Today's Man at the Jefferson Mall. They, and several others like them in Louisville, carry the same 'cheap' hats.

Macy's was also a disappointment.

I have not tried looking for hats at antique stores yet. Being a size 7-3/4, I would say that my search would be almost pointless. Anyway, there are several antique stores close to you. Also, one place to search might be the Louisville Antique Mall, which just moved to the 800 block of Broadway.

Let me know if you find any size 7-3/4 hats during your search.

Bob

citRon

A-List Customer
60CycleHum said:
citRon,

Rodes on Brownsboro Rd, across from Holiday Manor, carries Christy's, and can order Hobbs and Stetson. This is the only place where I found hats of some quality.

Don't waste your time visiting Today's Man at the Jefferson Mall. They, and several others like them in Louisville, carry the same 'cheap' hats.

Macy's was also a disappointment.

I have not tried looking for hats at antique stores yet. Being a size 7-3/4, I would say that my search would be almost pointless. Anyway, there are several antique stores close to you. Also, one place to search might be the Louisville Antique Mall, which just moved to the 800 block of Broadway.

Let me know if you find any size 7-3/4 hats during your search.

Bob

Will do- 7 1/8 for me!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
Heck...the town I'm in doesn't even have a bookstore to speak of....:eusa_doh: [huh] :(

Sounds like where I live... the one bookstore listed in the phone book is the Goodwill used bookstore! And that's for this and the next county, not the town! :eek:

Pretty sad for a county whose county seat has a university, eh? Thank God for Amazon! :p

Cheers,
Tom

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

60CycleHum said:

Well, Bob, I visited the Louisville Antique Mall at its former location just about 3 weeks ago. Virtually none of the cases or booths had any vintage hats, or any other kind of vintage clothing for that matter. So my guess is that they'd be a bust for hat hunting.

It might help if you were also interested in Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati breweriana, which I found a fair amount of. Or if the new place has an eatery that's the equivalent of the one they used to have at the old Goss Ave site. At least, my sister said that the old one there was good; it had closed up by the time I visited.

Not sure why Kentucky antique malls don't have any vintage hats or other clothing, but it's something I noticed in several Bluegrass cities as well as there in Lawvull.

Cheers,
Mark

citRon

A-List Customer
tandmark said:
Not sure why Kentucky antique malls don't have any vintage hats or other clothing, but it's something I noticed in several Bluegrass cities as well as there in Lawvull.

Cheers,
Mark

I wonder this too...maybe they're selling the stuff to someone in a larger city, perhaps? I know it's not lack of resources- old people are dropping like flies around here! When I worked in the west end, I'd go into these 100-150 year old houses and the older gents would have Fedoras in herds! -They've gotta be goin somewhere.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

NonEntity said:
You may have a dearth of good old hats, but a plethora of good old whiskey more than makes up for it!

Yup, Kentucky does have some great Bourbons. Plus racehorses, baseball bats, and heavyweight boxers.

Just not vintage hats in the antique shops. [huh]

Is it possible that there's a semi-enforced law in KY relating to vintage clothing having to be cleaned in some way or other before sale? It's conceivable that a law of that sort might make it inconvenient for antique shops & malls to offer hats & other clothing. In which case hats might be easier to find in places like Goodwill or in used clothing consignment shops.

Even so, I wasn't able to find any interesting hats in the Goodwills that I visited around KY over the recent holidays. A couple of unisex straw hats suitable for gardening, and a couple of trucker caps, but that's just about it.

Cheers,
Mark

citRon

A-List Customer
tandmark said:
Is it possible that there's a semi-enforced law in KY relating to vintage clothing having to be cleaned in some way or other before sale? It's conceivable that a law of that sort might make it inconvenient for antique shops & malls to offer hats & other clothing. In which case hats might be easier to find in places like Goodwill or in used clothing consignment shops.

Shoot, no! Not in Ky. We don't got no laws here in tha woods, 'sept'n ya caint marry yoor sister.

NonEntity

Suspended
citRon said:
Shoot, no! Not in Ky. We don't got no laws here in tha woods, 'sept'n ya caint marry yoor sister.

As a fellow Southerner, I know there ain't no law in the woods: Incest is best. Long as ya keep it it the family.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Found your fedora

citRon,

I found your fedora. It was hanging around on the second floor of "The Nitty Gritty" at 996 Barrett Ave. (583-3377)

I believe your lost fedora was a size 7 1/8 black Stetson, wasn't it?

Its brother, a size 7 1/4, was hanging next to it. Both had price tags of $24. Their cousin was also hanging around the store. It was a nice brown fedora without a size tag (stamped "Metropolitan" on the crown of the lining and "Rode's" on the sweatband - assuming that it was made for Rode's ) that was also $24.

If any of the above was size 7 3/4, I would have left lighter in the pocket, and richer in hat.

Unfortunately, the "diamonds" above were surrounded by hats from "the other side of the tracks", however, the scenery was especially nice.

Good Luck,

Bob

citRon

A-List Customer
60CycleHum- I'm suprised you didn't pick up that pink Scala!!
Hey- that black Stetson is a possibility, I might go back for that one. What did you think of it? Any idea what model it is- for othrs playing along, its a black Stetson, center crease, ~2 inch brim w/ an overwelt, 2 inch-ish black ribbon. Is this one from Stetson's better days?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy