Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WPG M41 Vs. ATF M41

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
The What Price Glory M41 is a bit more expensive than the At The Front M41 field jacket. Does anyone have one or know if they are that much better?

Thanks,

Les

Baggers

Practically Family
I've got both. Granted they're 3 or 4 years old so succeeding runs could have had changes and improvements, but ATF's shell seems to be made of a slightly heftier cotton in a "khakier" shade of OD3 than WPG's. However ATF's lining is a poly wool blend instead of pure wool. Also, sizing seems to run a bit truer with ATF as I had to go up one size in the WPG version. If it matters, WPG's is made in Pakistan and ATF's in China.

Frankly, I haven't worn my WPG jacket since I got the ATF version. It's more comfortable and just feels like a sturdier more nicely built jacket with better detailing. If you can wait until March, ATF's "ultimate" version is scheduled to arrive. Supposedly even better materials with a pure wool lining and, if I recall correctly, Talon marked zippers. They'll be pricier, but should be worth it.

Cheers!

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Thanks for the info Baggers,

I was leaning towards the ATF jacket. I think I found one really cheap from someone than needs a size larger.

Les

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine had one of the last versions of the WPG jkt, it was made for ClintEastwoood's Flag of our Fathers. So the color is a bit too green so that it would appear the proper color on screen.

It seemed a sturdier made jacket than the ATF version. Probably because it was used to film on location in iceland.

Baggers

Practically Family
Flags was released in 2006 meaning it was shot about a year earlier which was probably when I purchased mine from Jerry. On his site he says that his current run is made with a heavier shell, so perhaps that's the edition your friend has. Mine was very pea green when I first got it, but still within the range of OD3 shades actually cranked out during the war according to what I've read. But that's a moot point because the film was so desaturated color wise that they would have looked "happy khaki" onscreen regardless. One final observation: Costumes for film do not necessarily have to be built to actual specs because they are just costumes. The wardrobe people are not usually that picky, especially if they're going to be worn by extras in the background. Believe me, I know this from actual experience. If they have to buy new, they aren't going to buy the "good" stuff for the background. Principals, however, are another thing entirely. ;)

But at the end of the day, it's all subjective. If it looks good to you and whoever else who's opinion matters, that's all that counts.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
The ATF jacket has a silver colored (nickle?) square tagged zip with "Talon" stamped on the tag and whatever the part is that actually does the zipping (box?). My WPG has a silver square tagged zip marked "YKK."

Additionally, the two jackets in my possession both have five button fronts (counting down from the spread lapel) but the one currently pictured on the WPG site has...six?

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
ATF has updated their M41 page

The current dope on their newest version arriving in April or May (depending on where you look on the page).

Linky

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR