Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrong turn becomes B-17 ride!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

I was headed to a small airport here in Georgia, specifically Winder Airport. I made a wrong turn but saw airport signs and didn't know I was headed in the completely wrong direction. I ended up at Gwinnett County Airport and was about to turn around when I saw signs with arrows saying, "B-17."

Well, being the Flying Fortress junkie that I am, I said, "To heck with my original plans. I must see what all this is about." I drove a little further and coming into view on the runway, sitting there oh so majestically was the B-17G, "Fuddy Duddy." I was THRILLED. I hadn't been around a B-17 since seeing the static B-17G "Spirit of America" in California in 2002.

It was free entry to get up close and personal with the plane. I met Hal Weekly, the veteran pilot of the original "Aluminium Overcast" who flew out of Nut Hampstead (sp?). He was impressed that I had heard of it, and I told him that I grew up spending weekends at Bassingbourn, which was relatively near that area. He then commented on my jacket being familiar to him. I was wearing my RAF battlejacket at the time.

Well, a nice guy named Bob told me that Fuddy Duddy would be flying later on. I was now really thrilled because I hadn't seen a B-17 fly since "Sally B" at Duxford in 1993. Then he said, "And I'm going to be on it." I flipped out! I said, "Wow, congrats on reserving a seat on it! I'm envious." He said, "There are still some spaces left for the last flight..."

Hmm... Quibble over $400 and regret for the rest of my life missing this possibly once in a lifetime opportunity that fell into my lap like fate? Heck no. I slapped that plastic down and for the first time in my life, MasterCard was working for ME. I spent 30 glorious minutes in the air over Lake Lanier on an honest to God B-17 Flying Fortress.

The sound of those four Wright-Cyclones was loud and thrilling, the views from the radio compartment skylight, the waist gun windows and of course the bombadier station were indescribably sublime. It was both exciting and at the same time sobering. Fortunately I had about five minutes all to myself in the nose of that beautiful plane right as it was over the center of Lake Lanier.

It was one of those moments in life where your mind doesn't just take in the experience of being there, but suddenly you find every aspect of your life flooding in with true clarity of thought.

I though about my grandfather, who is thankfully still with us. I thought about Colonel Bob Morgan, the recently deceased pilot of the "Memphis Belle" who was a friend of our family. I thought about Otto Meikus, crew chief of B-17 "Jack the Ripper" with whom I spent many a misty morning at Bassingbourn. I guess I thought about a lot of things.

I watched one passenger sprinkle a pinch of the ashes of his father discreetly near the tail area. His father had been a B-17 pilot in the war. I watched a woman cry upon standing in the cockpit area. Her father, who died in 1983, had been a fortress pilot. One man had on his grandfather's flight cap and A-2. I don't think anyone was there just for the thrill of it. Sure it was fun, but there was ultimately something more going on for each and every one of us.

I think very few people would pay $400 to fly in a vintage airplane without some kind of serious personal connection. When it reached the ground with an audible squawk of the wheels on the runway as only B-17s sound, I stepped off thinking, "Technically, I didn't go anywhere on this flight. So why do I feel like this particular airplane ride has taken me farther than all the other flights combined?"

It was an interesting and unexpected day to say the least.

Mike

To date, I have now seen 7 B-17s: Memphis Belle (inside and out, sat in the pilot seat and worked the flaps), unnamed B-17G at RAF Hendon, Mary Alice, Sally B (flying), Spirit of America, Aluminum Overcast and Fuddy Duddy (flew with).

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Mike,

4 years ago, I had a chance to fly on the Collings Foundation's Nine oh Nine. You're right, you don't spend $400 for a 1/2 hour ride unless you've got some sort of personal connection. I hold that flight and my first hour and a half stick time (in an SNJ) as some of the most clear and epic experiences in my life.

You truly appreciate the sacrifices made when you get a firsthand look at what the daily fighting conditions were for the WWII generation.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Money WELL SPENT

My brother goes every time, the B-17 and the B-24 when they come to town. The cost is a whopping $400, and it may have gone up. When you think that SOME DAY these fine flying pieces of history will be GONE, regluated, insurance limited, parts deprived, and just "plane" worn out....and the whopping cost of aviation fuel ($4.38 per gallon). Those babies suck gas at an alarming rate. $400? THAT WAS A STEAL! Now every book you read about the boys over Germany in WWII....you will KNOW what it felt like (ok sort of). Good Show!

(p.s. I have to get a root canal at the dentist tomorrow...and it will cost three times the price of that ride...hummmmm. Root canal, B-17 ride. Which would you rather do? :cheers1: )

Mycroft

One Too Many
Andykev said:
My brother goes every time, the B-17 and the B-24 when they come to town. The cost is a whopping $400, and it may have gone up. When you think that SOME DAY these fine flying pieces of history will be GONE, regluated, insurance limited, parts deprived, and just "plane" worn out....and the whopping cost of aviation fuel ($4.38 per gallon). Those babies suck gas at an alarming rate. $400? THAT WAS A STEAL! Now every book you read about the boys over Germany in WWII....you will KNOW what it felt like (ok sort of). Good Show!

(p.s. I have to get a root canal at the dentist tomorrow...and it will cost three times the price of that ride...hummmmm. Root canal, B-17 ride. Which would you rather do? :cheers1: )

Any places in Florida that do that, man I have a friend who would love that?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"I didn't go anywhere on this flight..."

Quote: "I stepped off thinking, "Technically, I didn't go anywhere on this flight. So why do I feel like this particular airplane ride has taken me farther than all the other flights combined?"It was an interesting and unexpected day to say the least."

Mike, sounds like this 30 min flight took you further than any round-the-world flight could and to places that only exist in history books and aviation lore.

Patrick

New in Town
I've been a B-17 junky since the tender age of 10. It was at that age (back in 1949) that I first viewed the theatrical release of "12 o'clock High" with my Dad. It's been sort of an obsession ever since. So plunking down 400 bucks for a ride in such a beautiful, goregeous, magnificent, awesome flying machine like that would truly be a thirlling experance for me. If I had a chance, I'd do it without hesitation. Yea buddy! Thanks for sharing.

P.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Here is a photo of the plane Wing flew on. It has flown into our little strip on a couple of occasions and I always get a thrill out of hearing it coming. Once you've heard it, you won't forget it! I converted this image to B&W because the color looked too modern.
50545177.NineONine2bw.jpg

Olympus D-40

shamus

Suspended
just this summer my five year old and I were biking.. .he's a big wwii plane fan. I didnt' know it but we had a b-17 at the local air port giving rides too. We're biking along and we hear this roar of engines and right over the trees was this huge silver bird! My son nearly flipped. So did I. It's awesome to see them flying from the ground. I couldn't imagine actually inside one.

Wild Root

Gone Home
MD my friend, sounds like you had one grand time! I also believe that was the fastest 30 minutes you ever lived!

I have wanted to go up in a B-17 for so long! Never had the money to do it. I hope I get the chance some time in my life to do it. And, I hope I have the full flight kit to wear when I do. I love flying as it stands but, to fly in a B-17, *sigh* that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s what I call flying!

War birds are what I like to call ?¢‚Ǩ?ìflying Poetry?¢‚Ǩ?. They speak volumes of history and tell the story of our vets to us first hand. To ride in a B-17 one can gain a perspective of what it might have been like. I have been inside a few B-17?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s in my life, never flown in one but have been in side them from time to time. I remember being on a History Channel shoot we were at March Air Force base and I asked a museum member how I could tour their B-17. The lady just gave me the key to the plane! I got to go inside with two other friends and we got to hang out unsupervised in a fully restored B-17! I sat in the bombardier?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s compartment along with the cockpit. Sitting in the pilot?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s seat was just so sweet!

Keep?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢em flying I say, Keep?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢em flying!

WR.
170646a8nu.jpg

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Boy would I love to have a flight in a B-17. We only have 'Sally B' airworthy in the UK, and she's fantastic (been on board on more than one occasion), but you can't fly in her. I'm going to Florida in March, and I intend having a warbird flight of some description when I'm there if it kills me.

MB17

Mycroft

One Too Many
MikeyB17 said:
Boy would I love to have a flight in a B-17. We only have 'Sally B' airworthy in the UK, and she's fantastic (been on board on more than one occasion), but you can't fly in her. I'm going to Florida in March, and I intend having a warbird flight of some description when I'm there if it kills me.

MB17

Where can you get the flights in Florida?

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
I know there is one place you can definitely fly in a Harvard, and a friend who was in Florida a few months back reckons you can get Mustang flights somewhere too-I'm going to keep my ear to the ground when I'm there. Not too sure about B-17 flights though, which would be just incredible-I checked the Collings Foundation website and they're not in Florida whilst I'm there, but they must get down that way at some point. I also have everything crossed because the launch window for the shuttle opens at the beginning of March-now that I would love to see.

Hang on Mycroft I just did a quick search-you'd better have alook at this:-

http://www.b17.org

Hondo

One Too Many
MDfrench, I've been away but sounds like you took a turn into the Twlight Zone :cool:
and like everyone on board, its a chance of a life time, I too finally got my first ride in a B-17G the Nine O Nine last Memorial Day, its been a childhood dream, one of my first loves, hobbies, watched so many WWII films and the TV show 12 O'Clock High, (note: the Picadilly Lilly is currently being restored) I always forever will give thanks to those who took to the sky in these babies, (heck $400 is also tax deducible) I hope to ride in many more should I happen upon them. Keep'm fly'n :cheers1:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Picadilly Lilly

Are you serious??? If you are, that's GREAT NEWS!!! I have always just wondered why in the world did Chino just let that B-17 rot away for so many years! It's about time they did something with it! Get that baby in the air I say!!!

Yes, keep'em flying!!!

WR.

Hondo

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Are you serious??? If you are, that's GREAT NEWS!!! I have always just wondered why in the world did Chino just let that B-17 rot away for so many years! It's about time they did something with it! Get that baby in the air I say!!!

Yes, keep'em flying!!!

WR.

Yes Sir!!! Check the link below, she is seeking donations, as you are aware parts are hard to come by, Keep'em flying :cheers1:

Piccadilly Lilly II

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner