Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB mouton type snap on police jacket collar

TLW '90

Practically Family
@TLW '90
Here is how I did it with the Blauer collar. Blauer jackets are great for shoveling snow so buying a $40 jacket is a good investment anyway.

Yellow arrow snaps are male to meet the Vanson female. Red arrow is female to meet Vansons male. The nylon in those Blauer jackets is insanely thick. I used a leather punch for the holes to set the snaps. I could’ve set more snaps but it seemed like overkill. It doesn’t budge with the three. Hope this helps.
View attachment 471814 View attachment 471815 View attachment 471816 View attachment 471817
Thanks for the pictures.
The thing I most needed to understand was how these collars artached never having actually seen one.
For some reason I pictured it being just a loose flap that snapped on.
Seeing that it has a pocket that the jackets collar fits into, I am no longer concerned about getting a very exact size.
I imagine than anything from a 36-40 size jacket will work.
As long as the collar can fit into it, being a little big won't be visible.

If I have to buy a jacket to get the collar I'd rather get at most a 38 so I can wear the jacket, but if I can get just the collar it won't matter.

robrinay

One Too Many
Thanks for the pictures.
The thing I most needed to understand was how these collars artached never having actually seen one.
For some reason I pictured it being just a loose flap that snapped on.
Seeing that it has a pocket that the jackets collar fits into, I am no longer concerned about getting a very exact size.
I imagine than anything from a 36-40 size jacket will work.
As long as the collar can fit into it, being a little big won't be visible.

If I have to buy a jacket to get the collar I'd rather get at most a 38 so I can wear the jacket, but if I can get just the collar it won't matter.
Jackets that are/were made with detchable collars have discreet snaps ie snaps attached to the back layer of the collar leather and are invisible from the front and do not ruin the look of the collar when used without the detachable 'mouton' collar. the snaps are usually only 2 in number and are attached near the points of the collar, (but I repeat are only attached through the back layer of the collar leather).

TLW '90

Practically Family
Jackets that are/were made with detchable collars have discreet snaps ie snaps attached to the back layer of the collar leather and are invisible from the front and do not ruin the look of the collar when used without the detachable 'mouton' collar. the snaps are usually only 2 in number and are attached near the points of the collar, (but I repeat are only attached through the back layer of the collar leather).
I thought there was usually a 3rd snap in the middle of the collar ?

On my jacket the ends of the collar snap down, I don't know if they were intended to also be utilized for a mouton collar or not ( it is a police jacket ) but the appropriate sized snap attached to the whatever collar I find that is how I'll use them.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just found a blauer collar on Ebay for $11+ shipping.
It's 5 inches longer than my jackets collar, but for the price I'll find a way to make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner