Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 Parachute Silk Scarf

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recent purchase from e-bay which claims to be a WW2 parachute silk scarf made a by company that unpicked old 1940's silk parachutes & made motoring scarfs out of them. :cool: Appears like it may well be genuine. Anyone come across these before?

IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0446.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What was the name of the company that made these scarves?
Does it have a label?

Is there anything to suggest it isn't just a piece of white silk with a legend attached to it?

bn1966

Have taken photos of the arrow & edge stitch holes to see what you think.

IMG_0449.jpg IMG_0450.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
it does look like a WD broad arrow mark....could be faked but to be honest there were an awful lot of old parachutes left after the war and make do and mend was popular, I've seen work snapsacks made out of 'bren' gun ammo pouches and all sorts to use up old military stock to claw back some much needed finances and to provide items for the civilian market as shortages were rife as we know so old parachutes wouldn't be unusual ...I believe they changed to pale green khaki ones by the 1960's.
The wifes grandfather was a paratrooper during WW2 served in Norway, then Holland, Germany finally being shipped out to Palestine until 1949...He brought back/sent back at least one Allied chute and a German one too for the ladies to make all manner of undergarments etc.

bn1966

Thanks for that esteban68,

I think I've seen US military websites selling scarves that have supposedly been made from WW2 US parachutes. As you say, there must have been a lot of redundant parachute silk after WW2. I imagine this sort of item was common in the early post-war period. I have a forage bag made out fabric from a more recent parachute.

bn1966

Thanks Two Types,

Whether it's authentic or not, it's interesting as you say :) & better quality fabric than some other 'white silk aviator' scarves I've owned.

Lee (BN1966)

Annixter

Practically Family
Interesting find bn1966. For what it's worth, I stumbled over these supposedly WWII parachute markings. They aren't a match with yours, but maybe they'll help in the process of elimination:

Possibly Britain:
499077eb0.jpg

Australia:
49963e130.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When my mother-in-law passed away a few years ago, her daughter, my wife, had the unenviable task of clearing things like her mother's wardrobe. It's all just a memory now, until yesterday that is, when Tina was going through some of the things we keep just for the memory.

Food was not the only thing that was rationed during WW2, clothing was also in short supply. Fabric makers were meeting military demands, mainly for uniforms, so people learned to be resourceful. What Tina came across was something that was in amongst the clothes that she had sorted after her mother had passed.

This was my mother-in-law's nightdress, it's made from parachute silk, there are no identifying labels so we guessed that her mother probably made it herself. What a lovely nightie it is too. It made Tina smile, she said that she could wear it now without the tears that previously happened when she tried it on. She even suggested that she might model it when we are at one of the wartime themed festivals. Then she added that if she did, she would be sure to keep her underwear on. The light shines straight through the silk.
Parachute nightie 002.JPG
Parachute nightie 003.JPG

crowquill

New in Town
For the OP: Is the scarf a rectangle or a tapered four-sided shape with angled ends? I have some sections of silk unpicked from a ww2 parachute (one of which is now a scarf like yours!) and they have a distinctive shape. The broad arrow stamp and multiple parallel rows of stitching holes on yours look authentic!

Peacoat

Bartender
For the OP: Is the scarf a rectangle or a tapered four-sided shape with angled ends? I have some sections of silk unpicked from a ww2 parachute (one of which is now a scarf like yours!) and they have a distinctive shape. The broad arrow stamp and multiple parallel rows of stitching holes on yours look authentic!

bn1966

I have tagged him for you; otherwise he will likely never see your post.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner