Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 submarine pin and tie clamp

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hi there,

I'm needing some help dating a couple of things that I bought at an estate sale today. I'm trying to figure out if they're WW2 or post-war. The first is a submarine pin, silver-toned, 2 1/8" long. Marked "Kinney Prov. RI". The other is a submarine tie clip, 2 1/8" long, silver-toned, and the clip is marked "Kinney Prov. RI". They are both from the same era, the question is: Which era? I'm away from my home computer right now but will post pics as soon as I can. Does anyone know where I can find info on USN maker's marks? I've used some other forums, and google has been inconclusive. Time to ask the experts! Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Regards,
Nick

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
As promised, here are some pics:

First, the tie clamp

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just realized that the clamp on is marked "Kinney Co. Prov. 3 RI" rather than just "Kinney". I think I have seen some WW2 era wings marked "Kinney Co". Any thoughts?

Next, the pin:

The back of the pin is marked simply "Kinney Prov. RI" rather than "Kinney Co. Prov RI" like the tie clamp.

If anybody has any comments or clever ways to date these, please advise!

Regards,
Nick

Last edited:

Steven180

One of the Regulars
I am by no means an expert in this subject, but I would guess that this tie clip is from the Cold War era. The submarine is clearly nuclear powered and not of a World War II class.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck.
M.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
A “Boomer” is a ballistic missile submarine; meaning that it carried nuclear ballistic missiles that could literally take out whole countries with only a couple of missiles.

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Thanks treetop. After I posted that question I did a little research myself. It looked like those subs started being built in the early 70's. Is that accurate?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
1976 is when current Boomers started to be built, which are Ohio class, they carry/carried ballistic missiles, they did not enter service until 1981. The USS George Washington was the first true Boomer and she was commissioned at the end of 1959 and put to sea in 1960.

Kristinka

New in Town
My dad worked for the Kinney Company in Providence for some three decades. Is there any chance that this Boomer pin is for sale? I'm trying to locate items that his company produced in the 1970s-1990s. Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm needing some help dating a couple of things that I bought at an estate sale today. I'm trying to figure out if they're WW2 or post-war. The first is a submarine pin, silver-toned, 2 1/8" long. Marked "Kinney Prov. RI". The other is a submarine tie clip, 2 1/8" long, silver-toned, and the clip is marked "Kinney Prov. RI". They are both from the same era, the question is: Which era? I'm away from my home computer right now but will post pics as soon as I can. Does anyone know where I can find info on USN maker's marks? I've used some other forums, and google has been inconclusive. Time to ask the experts! Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Regards,
Nick

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Kristinka,
I would be more than happy to sell you this pin. It sounds like it will be a much better fit for your purposes than for mine, and I would love to help get it to you. Send me an email at nuts121944@gmail.com and we'll go from there. I tried to send you a private message but I don't think your messages are enabled yet. So if you'll just email me, we can get it all worked out. I hope to hear from you soon!
Best Regards,
Nick

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
They are both pre Ohio class Ballistic Missile submarines. Is there an SS number any where on them?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Most definitely Pre-Ohio Class. Based on the "silhouettes" of the pins, I would say they are USS George Washington class subs. That would make them one of five ships.
USS George Washington (SSBN-598)
USS Patrick Henry (SSBN-599)
USS Theodore Roosevelt (SSBN-600)
USS Robert E. Lee (SSBN-601)
USS Abraham Lincoln (SSBN-602)

Kristinka

New in Town
Hello Nick,

Thanks so much for your response. You are right - the Fedora site is not forwarding any messages to me thus the delay. I have no idea whether Kinney made the pin and clip when my dad worked there, but if they are from the 1970s, then he was there. My motivation is his 83rd birthday on Friday, and the fact that he did not keep many mementos from his Kinney years.

What would be your pricing? I emailed you but did not receive a response - perhaps it was sent to spam?

thanks so much,
Kristen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80