Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Boots - Service, Jump, etc.

Jabos

A-List Customer
MrBern-Can you explain in more detail what you mean when you say the At The Front boots are not as substantial as cochrans? I'm interested in some but want to find the best repro out there. I thought the color in their photos didn't look quite right, too much a saddle brown. Is that just the photo? Is the color darker or more "reddish" in person?

Does anyone know of a better repro cochran jump boot than At The Front? Funny that there doesn't seem to be a "slam dunk" "best by far" cochran jump boot out there-unless I'm missing it.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Cove/ HH/ Corcoran et al uses the original cutting dies used in ww2 the original lasts used in ww2 and is made in the U.S. by a company that made them in ww2 in the same building they made them in in ww2. How much closer to the originals do you want it?
No one can make the original corded rubber/nylon mix 1/2 soles and heels any more as both the formula and the molds are long since gone. Builtrite scrapped the last of their ww2 style molds when they were acquired by Quaberg in the 90's. Dye lots can vary on the browns but they did on the originals as well.
Tom

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
My Cove Shoe "Corcorans" are made of the same type of thin, dry, cardboardy leather, with the nasty shiny finish, as my russet service shoes from WW2Impressions.
It just isn't good boot leather at all. I think this is a shame and makes for an inaccurate boot, even if the cut and last are supposedly original.
This thin leather folds, bends and wears differently. Just not the same.

I have had originals of both types of boots, so I've seen them made in real boot leather.
Maybe other folks with the same repro boots have had better leather..?
It would be difficult to believe.

B
T

Mike K.

One Too Many
BT - when did you get your footwear from WWII Impressions?
A year ago I purchased boots from WPG and they had the thin, cardboard-like leather and cheap finish (they were promptly returned too). However, my recent purchases from WWII Impressions were great. The leather on my russet service boots is quite substantial (at least 3mm thick) and actually far tougher than the current military issue Corcoran field boots. The leather is initially stiff, but definitely not thin and cardboard-like, and takes a week or two to break in. The finish is not overly thin and the initial shine disappears within about two days of wear. The russet color also appears to darken somewhat. The rubber part of the outsole is made from very hard rubber and is both stitched and nailed to the leather part of the sole. They have the Munson last and are USA made.

I recall that most retailers were only providing boots made in an E width for the longest time, but now WWII Impressions can provide all sizes. Possibly there has been a recent change in who provides the footwear to WWII Impressions?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The WW2Imp boots, I got in about 1998, or so. The Para boots probably about the same time. Really not good leather- worse than recent Dr. Martens boots.
The "leather" is thin and stiff and dry. Not stiff as in wouldn't break in because they didn't need to break in- just stiff, not supple. I had never had a shoe or boot split before but the Russets went on both sides at the toe bend.

Well, WW2Imp's gear must have improved since the '90s.
I would have hoped so.

B
T

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Burnsie said:
These?:
http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=4500&CategoryID=34
Are they just like the 10" jump boots? Looks like it from the pic
My ATF ankle high rough outs have worn out in various ways, though still wearable...

Without inspecting one more closely, it looks like a desert roughout version of the old jumpboot.
It would be interesting to fit one pair with the tops of the roughout Buckleboot repros.
I havent heard great things about the buckleboots.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jabos said:
MrBern-Can you explain in more detail what you mean when you say the At The Front boots are not as substantial as cochrans? I'm interested in some but want to find the best repro out there. I thought the color in their photos didn't look quite right, too much a saddle brown. Is that just the photo? Is the color darker or more "reddish" in person?

Does anyone know of a better repro cochran jump boot than At The Front? Funny that there doesn't seem to be a "slam dunk" "best by far" cochran jump boot out there-unless I'm missing it.

Well there were a few WWII makers of the JumpBoot, Corcoran being one of them. The current ATF boots are made off a copy of "Endicott-Johnson" Jump Boots.
jumpboot_comp.jpg

So they are missing some details that are on the Corcoran boot.
The heel is different from the Corcoran, and you dont see th stitching for the ankle support that you generally see on JumpBoots.
I have the ATF boots And some Cove/Corcoran Jump Boots.

The color isnt bad & will change as you shine them.

The reinforced Captoe of the ATF boot isnt nearly as solid as the Corcoran.
The soles are softer & so wear easier. You'll prob need to put some something inside the boot , like an insole or arch support.
My corcorans seem to have better leather & a better contour. For me they were comfortable right away.
But my Brown and Black corcorans are from 8-10 years ago, so things may have changed.
Ive seen some black HH jump boots also made by cove, they also seem cheap & the finish scraped off easily & less impressive. These shoes including the Black corcoran variants see to be made with different sole that sometimes only LOOK the same. Some are marked for lightweight models.

Oh, the Corcorans have a steel spring shank in the sole. This also adds to the durability & the extra zip your step.
Also the Poron insole adds a littl more comfort.
Note the stitching running from th eyelets to the heel...for th ankle support necessary for the original requirements for jumpers.
1510.jpg

Actually, go to this link:
http://www.uspatriotstore.com/Category.aspx?CategoryId=134&gclid=CLLg1Yfh7JgCFQO5Ggod8mcB0g
You can see various Corcoran Models, It seems some are listed Original Leather, and some listed SpitShineableLeather.Some are listed as MilitaryAproved.
That might be part of the problem...

BTW, the old WWII Corcorans were made in Stoughton, Mass and labelled as such. The current Cove shoe factory labels in the Corcorans are Pennsylvania.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Thank you MrBern!!! That is the exhaustive review I've been looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this!

TheBronze

New in Town
Corcoran changes

Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've been wearing Corcoran model 1500 Jump Boots since I joined up in 1985. I've gone through several pairs in the last 24 years. I recently ordered a new pair and can tell you that they have made some slight changes from the ones I had in 1985.

The newer boots are made from a slightly different leather. It is softer and is not lacquered. This makes them break in easier and they can be shined without the ritualistic stripping we had to do back then. The midsole is now made from a black colored leather instead of brown. We used to have to dye the edges to keep them black and it was a pain. The newer boots also have a thinner tongue leather that makes them more comfortable and the insole is lined with cambrelle.

The boots are by and large the same as they were but with these little improvements are more "livable" than they were when I had to march in them. Still a great boot that will last a lot of years if cared for properly and I'm still wearing them everyday in my current profession.

Davep

One of the Regulars
TheBronze said:
The midsole is now made from a black colored leather instead of brown. We used to have to dye the edges to keep them black and it was a pain. The newer boots also have a thinner tongue leather that makes them more comfortable and the insole is lined with cambrelle.

Interesting I just checked my corcorans and the midsole is the brown leather. I got mine a year ago.

Silke

New in Town
Apologies for bumping a fairly old thread, but I've been looking for a pair of these so called Paratrooper/Jump Boots/Corcorans, with the double buckle style myself.

Looking for a brown non-suede, distressed/rugged looking pair though and so far I've only come across the ones linked here in suede and black, much too shiny ones.

http://www.acquiremag.com/style/shoes/beryll-asphalt-boots.php

And those which have been the closest hit so far, but they are currently out of my price range, I wouldn't have hesitated at any other time and just snagged them but I'm strapped for cash so anything 200$ and below would be nice.

Any tips?

Edit: Guess I should add that I'm a size 8.5 US or around there, if anyone has anything lying around for me. Wishful thinking.

JoshK

New in Town
I would get a pair of the WW2 Impression Double Buckles as their quality has vastly improved over the past several years and to get that darker "distressed shade" I would shave the nap off, then treat them with saddle soap, the treat the with some sort of boot oil or dressing(I prefer Pecards's: http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=antique-dress)

Once you you put so much oil in dressing on the boot that it won't accept any more I would then polish them up with as much brown shoe polish as you can and voila finnished. Going this route will not only be cheaper but will also give an unbelievebly waterproof hard wearing boot that will last for years that is comfortable.

If you go with the designer boots or the boots those are based off of (1950s French Combat Boots) your feet will regret it as they are super stiff and uncomfortable.

-Josh

JoshK

New in Town
I had a pair of those 1950s era French Combat Boots but they were incredibly uncomfortable, even after trying for a while to break them in.

By getting the WWII Impression M1943 "Double Buckle" Combat Boot, you will get a hard wearing and comfortable boot. I have a pair that is almost 10 years old and the only thing I've had to replace is the sole. By treating them the way I described above you will also be getting an icredibly waterproof boot.

Davep

One of the Regulars
The standard "jump boot" was used by the airborne on jumps. but later in the war, for example Battle of the Bulge they wore the combat boot, also referred to a "double buckle".

Also those shown on Sportsman's guide are french boots. The Allied or American boot has a difference rubber sole pattern, nothing like the french boot.

You also want to dubb your boots with something like "sno-seal", if you want them to look like soldier's boot.

PS - to late now but WW2Impression was selling their boots and everything else for 25% off.

Rick

New in Town
So what's the consensus?

I have to post here because for the life of me I can't figure out how to search the Lounge with any success yet.
I want the service shoe typeII. After reading around I was going to WWII Impressions. He's out of them until next SPRING!
I don't want to wait.
Who's the "second best"? Or like Juan said, are his so good I should wait till spring. I don't want to wait...did I say that?
Just someone tell me where to get them from...I'm tired.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana