Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII in advertising

Naphtali

Practically Family
Many years ago, Stroh's beer had a series of "story" television advertisements, one of which had its setting in World War II's desert war.

Reminiscent of several motion picture plots, a small group of British infantry were wandering the desert, nearly comatose with thirst. In the distance one, then others, sees a mirage - NO! it really is an oasis. But its not an oasis. It's cases and cases of Stroh's beer in long neck bottles. The looks on the soldiers' faces, their comments of satisfaction completed a first-class story ad.

I have no idea whether this was a national advertising campaign or regional for the Midwestern US.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Godfrey said:
Carlsberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7HTlkzS28

I also remember the Holsten Pils one based on the great escape with Steve McQueen.

I wonder if this is an ad - or just what we today would call "product placement".
Maybe even without thinking about it back then - just grabbing the nearest beers they could find for the movie.
Haven't seen the whole movie though. So I am not 100%.
Nice scene though!!!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A few spring to mind...

A year or two back NZ Lotto did a rather amusing one. Starts out with this Kiwi soldier fighting in Italy, grenade goes off and he's injured, but before the Jerries can nab him this beautiful Italian girl drags him off to her house where she nurses him, etc, etc. Fast forward to the present where the old boy has just won Lotto and off he goes to Italy to look up his beautiful Italian angel. He's all done up, cravat, big bunch of roses, the whole shebang and clutching his wartime diary with this photo of the girl (movie star good looks mind), comes to the door of the old house and confidently knocks. The door opens and the old girl is still there but the years haven't been too kind on the old bird, she looks like an absolute fright. Needless to say our old hero gets one hell of a shock, quickly shoves the roses behind his back and makes a run for it. Ends with him round the corner, wiping his brow in a "phew that was close" kind of way, and then digging into his old diary, and there's quite a few photos of his other wartime Italian girlfriends, so he picks the next one and off he toddles to look her up!

Not set in WWII but drawing heavily from it here's a print ad from the 70s when Triumph were releasing their new 1500 engined Spitfire sports car. As well as the Mk Ia Spitfire aircraft they got the Battle of Britain ace Ginger Lacey in as well. There were also TVCs as well as the print campaign:

IMG_0051.jpg

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Spitfire said:
I wonder if this is an ad - or just what we today would call "product placement".
Maybe even without thinking about it back then - just grabbing the nearest beers they could find for the movie.
Nice scene though!!!!

Saw an interview with John Mills some time ago where he talked about that scene. They apparently took around 15 takes to get it right and he was fairly drunk by the time they finished lol

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Nice scene though!!!!

Spitfire, It is a scene straight from the film, however it was used a commercial but the use of subtitles made it the ad. You are right though, the scene was made without the thought of a commercial but maybe product placment as you said. I guess the film would not have the same meaning if they had used room temp British Ale :D

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie_vintage.php?filename=VA0618

Edward

Bartender
Mr. Godfrey said:

I remember this being screened on TV, right up to maybe 1980.... Actually, I think I'd seen this long before I was aware of Dad's Army; I recognised Corporal Jones from another of his roles, as Grandad on kid's TV, quite a slapstick comedy for young children that, if memory serves, featured him as an elderly caretaker in a church hall or community centre or similar. Laughter, naturally, ensued.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Edward said:
I remember this being screened on TV, right up to maybe 1980.... Actually, I think I'd seen this long before I was aware of Dad's Army; I recognised Corporal Jones from another of his roles, as Grandad on kid's TV, quite a slapstick comedy for young children that, if memory serves, featured him as an elderly caretaker in a church hall or community centre or similar. Laughter, naturally, ensued.

Yes, I think that series was based upon or followed the single he made called "Grandad", it was so long ago now :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael