Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Army Shirt.. What Do I Have?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Hi everyone. I just won one of these shirts on EBAY.
2b60_1.JPG

The description really just says 1945 army khaki shirt. The price was right so I got one. I was wondering if this was an officer's shirt or enlisted, or really any details I can get. Are these sort of shirts a dime a dozen at surplus stores? If the fit is right I may look for some more. What really drew me to this one is the fact they are apparently NOS.

Here's a link to the ended auction if you want to check it out. Thanks!!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I read an article on how after the War "Khakis" were so plentiful that they were bought by Police depts. Andy and Barney Fife sure put them to use ! They were also used by Prisons and other Government agencies. Funny how now a days one has to pay premium prices for them. I seen it happen with the Viet-Nam era camo the ERDL. If your Khaki has epaulets then it's probably an Officers. On the wool version the fabric for the epauletes were taken from the rear bottom of the shirts. That is were "Shave Tails" come from a slang word for Officers. Pamina as for the M-42 jump jacket I'll give you 50 euro for it ! It will go nicely with my 3 repros in the closet.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yeah, I'm wondering what kind of material it will turn out to be. The pockets look rather large, is that pretty typical? If they are I'll just full them with things.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread! The shirt arrived a couple of weeks ago. It did take awhile to get here now that I think of it. It is cotton, and the tag has it dated 1945.

My current issue is what to wear with this. It's getting warm and humid here in Missouri, so, I'll likely be going without a jacket, and sleeves up. I know it's a uniform shirt and all, but I don't want it to look like a uniform when I'm wearing it. I'm thinking some dark brown chinos to pair with it. Maybe a vest now and then. I'm planning on using this shirt for "adventure" type ensembles.

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yeesh.. scratch the dark brown chinos. They just don't look right with the khaki shirt. Too.. bleh. Maybe a light proper British tan color will work. It's easy to find a shirt with khaki pants, but pants with a khaki shirt is another matter... these earth tones are hard to match. Maybe gray?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner