Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Movies Conference

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
This could probably go in about three different forums - movies, events, and WW2, but I'll post it in here for now.

The International Conference on World War II will be in New Orleans in April and the topic is Real to Reel: World War II in Film, Documentaries & Newsreels.

I can't tell you how badly I want to go, but I don't think I can swing it right now - but oh, how I wish!

Here's more info:

http://warmovies.nationalww2museum.org/index.html

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
True...but there's something about being there, in person, y'know? They're also having a nice exhibit of items owned by some of the biggest Hollywood movies stars. That would be awesome to see, too.

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:
True...but there's something about being there, in person, y'know? They're also having a nice exhibit of items owned by some of the biggest Hollywood movies stars. That would be awesome to see, too.

Good point....especially the stuff owned by the stars....

Story

I'll Lock Up
Huston's stark view of WWII
Two of the director's '40s documentaries -- once kept under wraps by the military -- will be shown in Hollywood.
By Susan King, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 14, 2008
Documentary filmmakers chronicling the Iraq war, including Rory Kennedy ("Ghosts of Abu Ghraib") and Terry Sanders ("Fighting for Life"), have not shied away from showing the nightmarish horrors of the conflict. By contrast, World War II documentarians found a lot of their material suppressed.

"There was much closer regulation and control," says Charles Wolfe, professor of film and media studies at UC Santa Barbara.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-huston14apr14,1,4900610.story

Huston, the Oscar-winning writer-director of such classics as "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," ran into problems with the military over two of his war documentaries: 1944's "The Battle of San Pietro" and 1946's "Let There Be Light," which was banned until 1980.

On Tuesday evening, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ John Huston Lecture on Documentary Film at the Linwood Dunn Theater will spotlight these two documentary classics. Huston's son Tony will be introducing the films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy