Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Photos - Taken / Collected by Family Members

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I found this great photo of my dad when he was on leave in 1943, back in Stuart, Iowa, just before he shipped out for Great Britain! Unfortunately, it was the last time he saw his father, he died of pneumonia the next year! My mother recently told me that, when my father got home, he ran through the house checking every room, he said he just could,t believe his dad was gone!
1943.jpg

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
StraightEight, thanks for that update. I am really surprised that that area remains so unchanged. That is amazing!

Yep. When you've got free time, look at Google Earth at the area I mentioned, in the open fields just west of the forest around Rott in the Naturpark Hohes Venn-Eifel, just south-southeast of Aachen. Zoom in close enough on satellite view and you'll see the Dragon's Teeth zig-zagging across the landscape. Sections have been cleared by farmers but some of the lines are amazingly intact. We spent two days foraging around the Hurtgen last June. Among the discoveries: numerous fox holes, a Sherman tank track still embedded in the Kall Trail, a bridge of dragon's teeth over a river, and a line of defensive machine gun bunkers still largely intact. Someday you should get over there and walk in your uncle's footsteps.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
My Dad (Left) in B-3 Jacket and A-3 Trousers

B-10_2.jpg

Note the gloves in the trouser pockets and the shade of the B-3 collars compared to the gloves.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
here's a couple from my Dad. He was a tailgunner in the 385th BG of the 8thAAF. Unfortunately, he passed away in November.

ww20023.jpg

ww20043.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot